• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What effect is the pandemic having on your mental health?

• It is making it easier

Votes: 16 24.6%
  • It is making it harder

Votes: 49 75.4%

• Total voters
Coronavirus is making my life hard at the moment mostly not knowing how long I'll have to endure people wearing masks everywhere although I'm exempt.

Coronavirus is making my life hard at the moment mostly not knowing how long I'll have to endure people wearing masks everywhere although I'm exempt.[/QUOTE]

life hard at the moment mostly not knowing how long I'll have to endure people wearing masks everywhere
although I'm exempt.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand, don't you want to be kept safe!?

Coronavirus is making my life hard at the moment mostly not knowing how long I'll have to endure people wearing masks everywhere although I'm exempt.

life hard at the moment mostly not knowing how long I'll have to endure people wearing masks everywhere
although I'm exempt.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand, don't you want to be kept safe!?[/QUOTE]

Everyone is different I suppose. Whatever your opinions on covid - it's hard for everyone and unsurprisingly depression and anxiety are rife for many people.

Why does it bother you that people wear masks? I really don't understand. The way things are going now, Americans at risk for negative C-19 outcomes may wear masks forever. Look at Asian countries where masks have been the norm for years.

Why does it bother you that people wear masks? I really don't understand. The way things are going now, Americans at
risk for negative C-19 outcomes may wear masks forever. Look at Asian
countries where masks have been the norm for years.

Yes if people wearing masks is keeping people safe

Yes if people wearing masks is keeping people safe

Numerous studies have shown that wearing masks helps reduce infection rates. Perfect: NO. Helpful: YES

I think it is similar to wearing a seatbelt in your car, putting your infant or child in a car seat, not driving drunk, obeying traffic laws, covering your mouth when you cough, washing your hands after going to the bathroom, etc.

Numerous studies have shown that wearing masks helps reduce infection rates. Perfect: NO. Helpful: YES
I think it is similar to wearing a seatbelt in your car, putting your

infant or child in a car seat, not driving drunk, obeying traffic laws,

covering your mouth when you cough, washing your hands after going to the bathroom, etc.

Unless you can't due to health grounds. (before the pandemic I was discouraged going to bars as I was aware that some other men in the bathroom were not washing their hands - DISGUSTING)

I don't take vaccines

Unless you can't due to health grounds. (before the pandemic I was discouraged going to bars as I was aware that some other men in the bathroom were not washing their hands - DISGUSTING)

If you have been told by a physician to not wear a mask due to your health, then the best you probably can do to avoid infection is social distancing, hand washing, and to pray that everyone else around you IS wearing a mask to help protect you.

A lot of people are having this issue these days. You are not alone in the pervasive loneliness.

It's not about saying it better. Everyone is just expressing themselves!

But yes, I've had the exact issues you describe. I used to never watch youtube videos, but now I watch them every night. I used to never play video games but now I play them every day. And I've continued to read. I've joined a Bible study through zoom. I go to church with friends. I continue to work, though not as much sadly. You gotta find things to do! New things maybe. Unexpected things maybe. Just sit and think, "What do I do now?" I've always found something so far when I've done this. I hope I didn't jinx it. Anyway, good luck! I'll pray for you!

It's the opposite for me. I used to go outside a lot, now I stay inside all the time and when I have to go out I do it in the early morning when there are the fewest people around. I used to love thrift stores, now I refuse to enter one. I see heavy traffic during the few times I am forced to go out during the day (usually for a medical appointment) and automatically think there are WAY too many people out. This weekend will be really mild here so I am staying in because I don't want to be around potentially sick people out partying because they're fed up with the quarantine. I don't feel lonely, in fact I like being away from NT's. I can't wait to get settled on my property so I only have to go into town once a week, the rest of the time will be just me and nature and cows. The wider world has never cared that I exist, so I am humoring them and getting as far out of civilization as I can go without blowing my head off.

The lockdown didn't really affect me that much. In fact, telling me that I had to stay indoors made me want to go outdoors even more, which I could, because you could go out for physical exercise, shopping, etc.

Normally, you'd think that someone autistic and as introverted as I am would have no problem with isolation and barely being able to go out, but even within the first few weeks of being on lockdown months ago, it got old really fast for me.

It's one thing to choose not to go out or see people willingly, but another beast entirely when it's enforced for the sake of not just my own safety, but that of others as well.

I've re-watched a lot of my favorite series and enjoyed to a degree some of the old games on my Steam backlog I've been meaning to get to, lately though I've just been wanting a change of scenery so badly, even though change for me is usually something I hate.

As I've said previously, I don't really have people to talk to at all, and my desire for that has increased with the lockdown as well, even here, I've wanted to add my input on certain threads, but I've worried that someone else might say it better, or what I've wanted to say, I just couldn't find the right words to use.

Does anyone else have this issue, or is it just me?
What I've experienced is being continually under the weather being forced to stand and queque to get food then trying to avoid people in supermarkets ,I haven't changed apart from that live alone have no support (family type)so no contact ,watched YouTube and dailymotion and BBC iPlayer like there's no tomorrow ,wish I could understand what people mean ,when they say ,imagine what it's like for pigs in a farrowing crate, they've been locked down their whole lives ?they only see sunlight on the way to the slaughterhouse .

I enjoyed the lockdown at first. It actually gave me a burst of energy and a sense of freedom, paradoxically, because I was no longer expected to engage in social situations. I did a lot of painting and writing at the time. After a while I got sick of all the creative endeavors though. I read a lot of books and rewatched my favorite shows. I spent a lot of time in the kitchen cooking up a storm. At some point I just got bored with it all. I’m currently playing video games all day but I’m not sure how long that will keep me entertained.
I don’t miss people at all, but I miss a sense of purpose. I’m starting a new job in a week and I really hope that will help.

I made huge changes during lockdown and due to limeted choice learnt to 'be alone' and gain a new energy, based on myself with no influence on others and my own expectantation of 'social norm' then 6 monlths later i move back into a more usual way of being ie. a job, being with people and 'fitting in' or in my case being different, and THEN MY ANXIETY RETURNS LIKE A STRONG WIND i feel anxious, lonely and troubled, prehaps it shows that a existance without those pressures is a simpler way of life, yet i have to earn money to have shelter and i do want a connection with the world so i find myself more that a bit muddled and confused as to a positive way forward!!!!

Can't say I'm looking forward to the possibility of yet another potential full-fledged lockdown.

Though maybe another one might be more tolerable if it occurs in the dead of winter. :eek:

Covid has risen sharply in the country where I live, particularly in the larger cities, some of which are close to lockdown. In early December I have to go and have medical scans and tests done at the hospital in the capital, and this is making me extremely anxious. The fact that I might catch Covid, the disruption, the queues, the waiting, the changes in procedures, having to stay away from home. I hate it, I wish I could just not go.

I have a Marie Calender frozen Razzleberry pie in the oven. Turns out baking and work are compatible. Hmmm. I also hike while it is light from 4-6pm, and then work till 8pm. I also don't commute. I also do my AA meetings sometimes in Russia.

My cat and I are closer. My apartment looks fantastic, really renovated the heck out of it. It has never been so clean. My neighbors are better friends. I went to Target yesterday at 4pm to get my son the new Minecraft CreeperCrunch Cereal and then work an extra hour to make up the time. I have everyones number at work and I get to mentor my butt off. I am reconnected on Linkedin with old co-workers. I made some friends 2hrs away in SF I call everyday. I post so much funny stuff on reddit and this forum. Pie's done.

Covid has risen sharply in the country where I live, particularly in the larger cities, some of which are close to lockdown. In early December I have to go and have medical scans and tests done at the hospital in the capital, and this is making me extremely anxious. The fact that I might catch Covid, the disruption, the queues, the waiting, the changes in procedures, having to stay away from home. I hate it, I wish I could just not go.
Do you also hate mask wearing?

New Threads

Top Bottom