• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

DEACTIVATE: Coping Skill

Jleger91

Photo of me with my sister at my brothers wedding
This was brought up while I was visiting my counselor. I said that I have trouble getting extremely agitated over all the little things and that sometimes I hit the dogs. I regret it immediately afterwards but it happens. Defense Mode it's called, right? My counselor told me about a coping device for defense mode called DEACTIVATE.

It's a form of positive self-talk that calms the person out of that anger and into positive thinking, and I do overthinking a lot so this is a tool that makes overthinking a good thing, and it's good that it's a good thing.

You're supposed to spell out each letter of the word DEACTIVATE and consider the meaning of the word that the letter stands for.

D - Diffuse negative energy so that you dont explode

E - Energy. There is good energy and bad energy. Which will we choose?

A - There is a positive and negative action just like there are good and bad energies. For example, hitting the dog is a bad action. Petting the dog is what a good person would do.

C - Consequences for every action. What will happen if I hit the dog? Well, the dog will be hurt and scared, and be afraid of me, and I'd feel bad and tell at myself for the rest of the day. And someone would have something to say about it. However, if I pet the dog, people call me a good kid and the dogs tail is wagging - I've made a friend.

T - Stop and think to diffuse. I should use good energy and not bad energy.

I - Initialize positive thinking. I'm not going to think bad things because I get upset. Let's think of how we're not going to think bad - this is a good thought.

V - Victory for celebration. We are thinking positive and not negative, and we consequently avoided exploding in anger. YES!!

A - Action next action is a good action because it is not a bad action

T - Time/Thanksgiving - Thanks for spending the time to think our way through this.

E - Energy. Look at that positive energy. You did good and this positive energy is your reward. Let's keep being positive.

That is great. It reminds me of a bit from "Seven Habits of Highly Effective People", that says that we aren't just driven by stimulus-response. We are subject to outside stimuli, but we have the ability to choose our response.

V - Victory for celebration. We are thinking positive and not negative, and we consequently avoided exploding in anger. YES!!

I think that one's my favorite. Celebrate every victory, no matter how small, and look forward to more.

Bring
A
New
Attitude
Nice
And
Sexy.

Betcha bananas works better.

Also you get to shout "Bananas" a lot.

Sounding madder to stay saner.
Love the juxtapose.

Please try bananas .

Everybody .

Bananas, Fridgemagnetman, bananas.
Bring a new attitude nice and sexy.
I'll have to try that ASAP

Nervous Rex
Seven habits of highly effective people book. Sounds like a very good read. I gotta library a lot more.
We can choose our response to outside stimuli and do not just instantly react in some way. First we are allowed to think before acting, and then celebrate not acting before thinking. I like ice cream.

Seven habits of highly effective people book. Sounds like a very good read. I gotta library a lot more.

Read it like you would eat a cream puff - don't swallow the air. There's good stuff in the book, and also some pointless stuff. Don't swallow it whole.

I am going to start using "library" as a verb.

Finally, I like ice cream, too. But if there are chocolate chunks in it, they need to be able to melt in your mouth, so you can savor the chocolate and not chew them up while they're still frozen.

Bring
A
New
Attitude
Nice
And
Sexy.

Betcha bananas works better.

Also you get to shout "Bananas" a lot.

Sounding madder to stay saner.
Love the juxtapose.

Please try bananas .

Everybody .
Ah, here it is again. I forgot where I had seen this. I am going to go pick another fruit and see how that works.

New Threads

Top Bottom