• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Dartmouth Research Study - Participants Needed!

PARTICIPANTS NEEDED for a study on how people think.

If you are an adult with autism who is at least 18 years of age, please consider completing this survey (linked below). The survey will take less than an hour, and participants will receive financial compensation.

Please feel free to share with adults with autism who might also like to participate. The information from this study will be used to help further the understanding of how different people think.

Access the survey here

If you would like more information about the study, or would like to receive updates on the findings, please feel free to contact me via email at

Contact Information
Bryan Gonzalez
[email protected]
Researcher, PhD candidate
Phillab
Dept. of Cognitive Sciences, Dartmouth College

Can you please tell us who the focus o f the study is, what you are trying to get out of it, what type of questions are likely to be asked, what the end result of the study will be.
Your intro to the study is a bit bald.

Absolutely,
After providing consent, participants will be asked to read short (~4-sentence) stories about different characters. After each story, a sentence about the character will be shown and participants are asked to evaluate whether the sentence is true or false as quickly and accurately as possible.
In a second block, participants will also evaluate whether a phrase sounds "weird" or "normal"; then answer some short questions about themself. The study is approved by the Dartmouth Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects.

Tried and failed. It wasn't stimulating enough to continue. I think I was impatient at the speed with which the text appeared, rather than being able to click next or press space to allow me to bring it up faster.

Ed

From a reader's standpoint:

Line one of paragraph two is a bit condescending to autistics, a majority of the members on this forum.

It infantalizes the neurotype by presenting a tone that only neurotypicals read and use the resources on this forum. Consider removing that entire second paragraph because the message of the first paragraph is perfectly concise and strikes an appropriate tone, while also reducing redundancy.

Last edited:
Please feel free to share with adults with autism who might also like to participate.
Isn’t that us? We are the adults with autism – and you are the one sharing it with us.
The information from this study will be used to help further the understanding of how different people think.
It sounds like you are calling us “different people.” Not very nice.

In a second block, participants will also evaluate whether a phrase sounds "weird" or "normal"
I’m not trying to be mean here, but are you seriously suggesting the research criteria are weird or normal? What kind of options are those? How on earth is one to measure either weird or normal?

Again, I am not trying to be rude, I am just truly bewildered.

Isn’t that us? We are the adults with autism – and you are the one sharing it with us.
Thank you for raising the concern. If you are an adult with autism, feel free to share the study with other adults with autism. If you are not an adult with autism, feel free to share the study with adults with autism that may be interested in participating.

What kind of options are those? How on earth is one to measure either weird or normal?
This will be clarified in the instructions of the task and refers to linguistic implicatures that could be pragmatically odd or misleading to assert.

This will be clarified in the instructions of the task and refers to linguistic implicatures that could be pragmatically odd or misleading to assert.

My suspicions are officially raised. I fear you are cloking some unspoken intentions and misunderstandings behind your language. I’ll keep quiet from now on. I thought maybe I could solve the mystery of why this feels so suspicious, but it is only getting worse.

Participation is absolutely voluntary. Information about Dartmouth's Dartmouth Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects can be found here. If you have specific concerns, feel free to get in touch using the contact information above. Thanks for your consideration.

I’m not trying to be mean here, but are you seriously suggesting the research criteria are weird or normal? What kind of options are those? How on earth is one to measure either weird or normal?

Again, I am not trying to be rude, I am just truly bewildered.

I think it's a bot, because it never answered your questions. Maybe we don't fit into the world order of things. Lol . I think l am hesitant to identify myself to a major think tank for a monetary bribe.

Last edited:
PARTICIPANTS STILL NEEDED for a study from Dartmouth College on how people think.

If you are an adult with autism/asperger’s who is at least 18 years of age, please consider completing this survey*. The survey will take less than an hour, and participants who provide useable data will receive financial compensation.

Please feel free to share with adults with autism who might also like to participate. The information from this study will be used to help further the understanding of how different people think.

Eligibility criteria:
  • be at least 18 years old
  • be a native English speaker
  • have been diagnosed with Autism/Asperger’s by clinical assessment
  • complete survey on personal computer (no phones or tablets)

To participate:
contact us at the email below (subject: ‘NEW RESEARCH PARTICIPANT’) to receive a secure, individualized, study access link.
Bryan Gonzalez
[email protected]
Graduate Researcher, Dept of Cognitive Sciences, Dartmouth College

*This research is approved by the Committee for the Protection of Human Subjects at Dartmouth College.

I think you're more likely to get participants by offering the
to provide the information within a PM/Inbox conversation, than
by asking people to email you.

I'm happy to provide any information about participating here in this thread for anyone interested. Participation involved reading short stories and answering true/false prompts. Interested folks can email me for a unique access link. I will soon create an online form with a link where people can sign up to participate.

How much is this guy paying? Did anyone check? I might do this for USD 100, but if it's a 20% chance for a coupon for free pizza from a US-only chain, it's not even worth reading the introductory paragraph.

It's newly cool to study people on the spectrum, but it's very difficult to get a diagnosis from someone professional/certified/approved. IMO it's time for everyone qualified to start monetizing their intangible asset - a formal diagnosis.

The medical profession hasn't done anything useful for "ASD 1" ever, and has harmed us all by still using "D= disorder" in DSM5 - but they don't hesitate to charge for inordinate amounts of time at "market rates" for the entry criteria. As rational humans (or, since to be allowed to answer the quiz you have to admit to a "D=Disorder" category, perhaps rational near-humans is better?) you have a duty to establish and then charge the market rate. In advance of course.

I used to participate in academic studies /surveys on MTurk,
for between 50 cents to five dollars. I liked seeing what
the students/researchers were doing, how they went about
studying what they were studying.

How much is this guy paying? Did anyone check? I might do this for USD 100, but if it's a 20% chance for a coupon for free pizza from a US-only chain, it's not even worth reading the introductory paragraph.

It's newly cool to study people on the spectrum, but it's very difficult to get a diagnosis from someone professional/certified/approved. IMO it's time for everyone qualified to start monetizing their intangible asset - a formal diagnosis.

The medical profession hasn't done anything useful for "ASD 1" ever, and has harmed us all by still using "D= disorder" in DSM5 - but they don't hesitate to charge for inordinate amounts of time at "market rates" for the entry criteria. As rational humans (or, since to be allowed to answer the quiz you have to admit to a "D=Disorder" category, perhaps rational near-humans is better?) you have a duty to establish and then charge the market rate. In advance of course.
Thanks for raising your concerns. Participants who provide useable data are reimbursed via Amazon gift card. Data must be verified first as there are many bots attempting to provide invalid information for payment. The average rate so far has been 10 (again pending performance accuracy > 65% )

Average rate of what?

Back on topic: if you're working with your fellow students, you can pay them with course credits, which, especially these days, are quite valuable.

But you want adults with an unusual and quite expensive qualification an AS diagnosis, for whom there is, in many cases, a tangible opportunity cost - even if your competition for that hour is Minecraft :)
Many of us have to balance income and leisure just like NTs.

Dealing with bots is your problem. If you offer money on the web you'll attract bots.

Your potential real participants are (or should be) looking at some satisfactory combination of:
* Payment at a similar level to their professional income
* Probable value to our suddenly popular community in the form of e.g. useful insights into the nature of our Spectrum, and facts and tools to help us explain ourselves to the other (est) 95.5%
* Preemptive Intelligence - infiltrating the enemy to understand what they're up to (thanks @tree - I hadn't considered that - also sorry (just a little) for the embellishment :)

Bottom line Phil - we've heard what you want, but we haven't seen the sales pitch explaining why we want it.

I didn't participate in the studies out of a feeling
of Us vs Them/*infiltrating the enemy. *I did it
because I liked doing it.

Even in undergrad I enjoyed the construction of
studies. I made a thread here a long time ago, the
subject of which was "quizzes," because I liked
evaluating how well an instrument measures what
its makers intend it to measure.

New Threads

Top Bottom