• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Curing Autism", this bothers me

Some people hate anything that is different from them and their interpretation of superstitious stone age and bronze age writings. Their reason for belief is that everybody MUST behave in ways that they deem appropriate. So one can see that they would claim that autism or sexual orientation must be cured.

I'm watching a documentary on conspiracy theories (American based) from here in Canada

Twice in the documentary I've heard comments from Christian groups in the United States about curing Autism, this really bothers me... As an active Christian, I have never heard such a suggestion within my church tradition, and doesn't medical science say there isn't a cure for it anyway?

A couple years ago I did meet one Christian lady here who I had a conversation with, and ask me if I wanted to be cured of Autism? I think you probably know my answer...

Is this kind of thinking a "thing" in some Christian communities? I'm not liking that at all, I know my church and denomination isn't that way
No different than trying to "cure" gays. They believe it is all a matter of choice, a character defect you learned along the way. If you get enough God in your life, he'll fix you.

It has nothing to do with religion. Maybe that specific group of parents, who have bonded over similar religious philosophy got to talking and all agreed that they wish to endeavor to find a cure for autism.

It's just peer groups, not religious.

Oy will y'all stop projecting harmful stereotypes about my Christian religion? It's dirty. I was pagan for most of my life, and I'd feel the same way if people were saying crap about that tradition as well.

If you took out the Christian words and put in a noun and adjective about race or disability, man, try and read your statements then! Oh and by the way, I am also Jewish in both ethnicity and religion............ I know some of y'all have got some real doosies.

My wife believes very deeply in healing by faith; this comes from no particular denomination but from various teachings over the years. She believes that anything can be cured through faith and prayer. And, on many levels, I agree with her. Where we really split is that she believes my being on the spectrum can be cured, and that it is largely my fault for not praying enough, not having enough faith, and not fighting it.

I believe God can heal me of anything he wishes, but, heal what? Am I really in need of healing from Aspergers? The big debate around my house, for certain. I can tell you that I've attended many churches and met many pastors and I've never heard anyone aside from my wife with this attitude.

There are things that we all do that are sinful. No stone being cast here. The Holy Spirit will knock on your skull and keep reminding you, "hey! Stop that!" Whether or not you listen is up to you. You can also read the book as well as I. I've been through it a couple times at least, and don't recall where it states, "though shalt not be an introvert who stammers at office parties and can't look others in the eye."

I'm watching a documentary on conspiracy theories (American based) from here in Canada

Twice in the documentary I've heard comments from Christian groups in the United States about curing Autism, this really bothers me... As an active Christian, I have never heard such a suggestion within my church tradition, and doesn't medical science say there isn't a cure for it anyway?

A couple years ago I did meet one Christian lady here who I had a conversation with, and ask me if I wanted to be cured of Autism? I think you probably know my answer...

Is this kind of thinking a "thing" in some Christian communities? I'm not liking that at all, I know my church and denomination isn't that way
gosh I felt that... I also dislike that thinking, because if God created you a certain way, or allowed you be be born a certain way then isnt that fate? I feel like when people say "pray the autism away" its almost like an insult to Gods creation (in my opinion of course). God makes no mistakes- people are the way they are born for a reason. whether its a noticeable purpose or not. Im one of those people who believe everything happens for a reason, even if it is bad, because I believe everything affects eachother even if it isnt direct or noticeable...

so I get this! its very annoying to hear when people say that. I remember when I was first going through my process of diagnosis (not too long ago) my mom said "why do you accept this?" and a bunch of other crap. its very frustrating when people say that to you because they make you feel crazy, like you chose to have it? idk its such a bizarre idea to me as to why someone would say that or think that way.... but thats just my perspective I guess

I can understand why some Christians would think like that, from a "faith can change all things" perspective, I know its not always ill intentioned- but its still frustrating. in my church people arent like that either, but I have met a few who think like that.

My wife believes very deeply in healing by faith; this comes from no particular denomination but from various teachings over the years. She believes that anything can be cured through faith and prayer. And, on many levels, I agree with her. Where we really split is that she believes my being on the spectrum can be cured, and that it is largely my fault for not praying enough, not having enough faith, and not fighting it.

I believe God can heal me of anything he wishes, but, heal what? Am I really in need of healing from Aspergers? The big debate around my house, for certain. I can tell you that I've attended many churches and met many pastors and I've never heard anyone aside from my wife with this attitude.

There are things that we all do that are sinful. No stone being cast here. The Holy Spirit will knock on your skull and keep reminding you, "hey! Stop that!" Whether or not you listen is up to you. You can also read the book as well as I. I've been through it a couple times at least, and don't recall where it states, "though shalt not be an introvert who stammers at office parties and can't look others in the eye."
ASD1 is autism with no particular pathology ["broken parts"] (apart from being human).
ASD2 & 3 are autism with varying degrees of pathology.

Most of the prophets in the Bible seem like they could be ASD1, when they are described. They were definitely "outside of the box."

After this morning I am actually hoping there's a cure for autism soon. If being autistic means I have to live like a wild animal getting beaten with a belt, then I'd rather either not be autistic or not be alive to live that way.

And honestly, I'm actually more comforted by death than by a cure. Any kind of afterlife or reincarnation is much better than living this way. With a family that believes in oppressive discipline, or violence to get a child to listen. They never stop to ask me why am I acting this way. They never try to think about what I might be going through. They never stop to consider PTSD or any form of trauma. All they believe in is "listen or get hurt".

I'm planning my suicide today. Traditional coping has failed. Holding out longer has just brought me more of it. The cycle will never be broken. There is only one answer to my eternal dilemma, and I will make sure it is painless and quick.

I'm sorry, everyone. Please pray for me to find peace. I love you all and I hope to God life doesn't hurt you guys as bad as it has hurt me.

This subject always bothered me as well. I don’t want to be “cured” because I literally have no idea what it’s like to not live without Asperger’s or autistic traits. I wasn’t diagnosed until my senior year of high school but that doesn’t mean that I didn’t have signs of being on the spectrum as the school evaluation done on me noted that I had shown signs of possibly having Asperger’s

Puzzling as to why much of any alleged "Christian" organizations would even be involved in defining those with neurological conditions. Leave those miraculous "cures" to God, Christ and science.

But then I've always thought that Christ himself would have considered an epithet like "Christian Nationalism" to be little more than an oxymoron. Perhaps the ultimate in a contradiction of terms.

Last edited:
Fundamentalist Christians and similar religious groups are reasons to be concerned about people trying to use religion as an excuse to act crazy sometimes. The worst things that they seem to love to do to people is to “pray” every little problem a person has. Sometimes the issue is far more complicated than religion can handle and should not be mixed together such as mental health issues or physical illnesses.

Hi Sherlock, I’m recently out of seminary and can say with confidence that where I studied, this sort of view would absolutely not be accepted. My studies for both of my degrees included both practical and academic theology, including church history, and the tie there to contemporary science was in support of science (without being liberal—our quip was philosophical).

Now on the other hand, I think my husband thinks it’s a mental illness that can be cured. He’s a pastor and that’s as far as I’ve been able to talk with him about autism. So I don’t.

I'm sorry, everyone. Please pray for me to find peace. I love you all and I hope to God life doesn't hurt you guys as bad as it has hurt me.
I feel for you so badly. You need to get away from that family. You're still only young, you have so much life ahead of you. It is not life or God that is punishing you, it is what happens in a dysfunctional family. I grew up in something similar.

It's difficult to accept the challenges of shifting out of your comfort zone, but from every one of your posts that I have read since I have been on this forum you really don't have very much in the way of comfort anyway. Please get out of there, please find that there is joy in the world as well.

You'll find that there's many different support groups that will help you with this, if you only reach out to them and ask.

Puzzling as to why much of any alleged "Christian" organizations would even be involved in defining those with neurological conditions. Leave those miraculous "cures" to God, Christ and science.
Severe co-morbids are grievous, and they have everybody (including undx'd ASD1s) scrambling for answers.
4SLaws
Getting Saved does not make one dumb, but dumb people (like everyone else) are invited to get Saved. And that is a good thing.
It's Not What You Know, It's Who You Know; The Whites (1988)

Last edited:
Severe co-morbids are grievous, and they have everybody (including undx'd ASD1s) scrambling for answers.

Everybody? Even if 100% of autistic people whether diagnosed or not amounts to a pitiful percentage of society.
If you buy into the CDC's uptake, it amounts to 1.8%. That's hardly "everybody". But that's beside the point.

Not "everybody" has the scientific ability and background to be expected to find such answers, provided they even exist. This must be left up to science- not religion. That's not "everybody" either, but it makes far more sense.

Everybody...?
I meant everybody who is touched by ASD2/3, which is significantly more after 1979 birth dates.
Thimerosal was an early suspect, but it has since been ruled out. (I believe that autism is hereditary but severe co-morbids are not.)

Even if there are multiple causes for autism, that model cannot account for the sudden jump in autism cases (ca. 1979) that are severe enough to require special education services, and subsequent public support.

I meant everybody who is touched by ASD2/3, which is significantly more after 1979 birth dates.
Thimerosal was an early suspect, but it has since been ruled out. (I believe that autism is hereditary but severe co-morbids are not.)

Even if there are multiple causes for autism, that model cannot account for the sudden jump in autism cases (ca. 1979) that are severe enough to require special education services, and subsequent public support.
You're free to speculate as is everyone else. But stepping forward, and particularly those representing a non-medical or scientific special interest group to make claims beyond mere speculation is just plain wrong IMO.

As I said, leave it to science and medicine. We can be critical of them at times, but it shouldn't alter a basic and logical need for them to be in charge of the discovery process.

Last edited:
You're free to speculate as is everyone else. But stepping forward, and particularly those representing a non-medical special interest group to make claims beyond mere speculation is just plain wrong IMO. As I said, leave it to science.
Since I was identified as gifted* at 6, I was raised in the model of neuro-divergence as espoused by educational psychology, not that of neuro-psychiatry. That paradigm better accounts for ASD1 than the injury model from the latter. I will admit that it is bit "black box," but it yields more practical strategies than, "We just don't know, yet..."

*Good luck trying to find a neuro-psych provider who is versed in giftedness, since it is not considered a pathology.
full
full

Since I was identified as gifted* at 6, I was raised in the model of neuro-divergence as espoused by educational psychology, not that of neuro-psychiatry. That paradigm better accounts for ASD1 than the injury model from the latter. I will admit that it is bit "black box," but it yields more practical strategies than, "We just don't know, yet..."

*Good luck trying to find a neuro-psych provider who is versed in giftedness, since it is not considered a pathology.
full
full

You seem to be off an quite a personal tangent here. It does nothing to change my opinion that such neurological breakthroughs should be conducted by science and medicine, regardless of whether there are NTs or NDs within their ranks. No matter how critical at times that we can be towards science and medicine. And without the interference or leverage of religious groups and other special interest groups of any kind.

Personally I'd like to see improvements made, but I'm not looking for any alleged "cure" for myself or anyone else on the spectrum. It's a notion that bothers me too.

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom