• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Curing Autism", this bothers me

Sherlock77

V.I.P Member
I'm watching a documentary on conspiracy theories (American based) from here in Canada

Twice in the documentary I've heard comments from Christian groups in the United States about curing Autism, this really bothers me... As an active Christian, I have never heard such a suggestion within my church tradition, and doesn't medical science say there isn't a cure for it anyway?

A couple years ago I did meet one Christian lady here who I had a conversation with, and ask me if I wanted to be cured of Autism? I think you probably know my answer...

Is this kind of thinking a "thing" in some Christian communities? I'm not liking that at all, I know my church and denomination isn't that way

Not sure if it is like this in Canada, but there are a lot of pretty wild Christian conspiracy theories in the US. Which I won't go into detail about for obvious reasons.

I think the "curing autism" thing stems from the same type of core belief as conversion therapy. I also kind of view ABA as a type of conversion therapy (speaking as someone who has been through both. Spoiler alert: neither of them "fixed" me.) But I doubt autism was ever mentioned in any religious literature.
One particular Christian church in my town has denounced people suffering from anxiety and depression as "evil" and "sinful." Huh???

My religion doesn't have any issue with people being "different" so I have never encountered people in my church community who wanted to cure autism. I have met people of other Christian faiths who did though and it is a relatively common belief in America, unfortunately.
I always think about the quote my parents always use which is "an extremist of any kind is not good."

I just find this kind of thinking not quite right...

In the Bible (this is the religion forum), what I see is that we aren't always meant to be completely healthy (not that being Autistic is necessarily "unhealthy"), the Apostle Paul had an ailment of his eyes for much of his ministry... God keeps these things in our lives for a reason, in most texts for us to develop perseverance, among other things...

Last edited:
I just find this kind of thinking not quite right...
I have experienced the sort of things you're talking about several times in my life, and within those same circles there is also rampant racism and bigotry.

It took me a long time to learn not to blame the religion. The problem is that a lot of people confuse faith in God with faith in whoever is standing behind the pulpit, so if you get a bad egg standing up the front it very easily flows down to the rest of the congregation.

Not sure if it is like this in Canada, but there are a lot of pretty wild Christian conspiracy theories in the US.

Anything that exists in American culture and politics, both mainstream or not, will make its way to Canada sooner or later.

It does get awkward at times because differing histories and cultures means that some concepts and movements don't translate very well, and sometimes it's embarassing to see or hear of someone trumpeting a certain cause using "talking points" which are completely irrelevant in Canada.

I'm reminded of the early Christian settlers being shocked upon seeing that the natives did not beat their children. Truth be told, a lot of values that older cultures held in regards to raising children does lead to healthier happier kids. Beating children in no way, shape, or form assists in that child's development - other than aiding them to be at a much greater risk of mental health issues.

An Autistic child can be very energetic, unruly and loud. That flies in the face of some of the conservative values that some Christian households probably uphold. Perhaps they seek a "cure" for behaviours they find uncouth.

Ed

I'm watching a documentary on conspiracy theories (American based) from here in Canada

Twice in the documentary I've heard comments from Christian groups in the United States about curing Autism, this really bothers me... As an active Christian, I have never heard such a suggestion within my church tradition, and doesn't medical science say there isn't a cure for it anyway?

A couple years ago I did meet one Christian lady here who I had a conversation with, and ask me if I wanted to be cured of Autism? I think you probably know my answer...

Is this kind of thinking a "thing" in some Christian communities? I'm not liking that at all, I know my church and denomination isn't that way
I’m not really a huge religious person but I do feel like a lot of judgement on what is negative or not the “norm” comes from specific groups, and then theres the drive to “cure” so people are all normal. It’s the same for conversion therapy for homosexuals. I think sometimes there are desperate people that want things to be fixed, and will keep hold of that idea and hope without realizing that it is damaging.

The big confusion in the OP is that these parties (not all Christians) misidentify autism as being just ASD2 & 3. They see the uptick in grievous co-morbid conditions and think that the base condition of autism needs a cure.

If they would rightly divide the issue, it is the grievous co-morbids that need to be prevented back to pre-1979 levels. They were bad then, too, but they were so few and far between that they did not point to a ubiquitous environmental insult.

Last edited:
I would definitely accept a cure if there was one! But I also understand why many would differ.

I also love christianity when it's being used to help people, but dislike the smaller (but louder) side that exists to shame and hurt others. Not everybody involved should get a bad rap, but I see why people stay away.

A one-size-fits-all approach definitely wouldn't work for everybody, but if there was help for those who wanted to be converted, I'd be in line for that conversion therapy personally.

There are groups that are "blissfully ignorant" and "anti-science". At some level, I am thinking they have good intentions, however they are operating on very limited information. As a result, I don't think they will get any significant "traction" with their agenda. Autism, homosexuality, etc., in some of these circles, is something that could be cured with psychotherapy. However, we don't have the ability cure something that is deeply rooted in genetics, anatomy, and physiology. The bottom line, is that we've been there, done that, and not only failed, but caused quite a bit of harm. As a Christian, one might appreciate the old saying, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."

At least in the US, religious groups are quite diverse even within their own denominations, and is, in part, why many people try several churches within their denomination before finding one that fits their comfort level. All it would take is a "radical" church leader to push an agenda or thought process throughout their parishioners and the gates of Hell are opened up. They may not recognize it, as they have brainwashed themselves into thinking that they are virtuous, when in fact, it is pure, concentrated evil. A significant amount of damage can be done.

I would definitely accept a cure if there was one! But I also understand why many would differ.

I also love christianity when it's being used to help people, but dislike the smaller (but louder) side that exists to shame and hurt others. Not everybody involved should get a bad rap, but I see why people stay away.

A one-size-fits-all approach definitely wouldn't work for everybody, but if there was help for those who wanted to be converted, I'd be in line for that conversion therapy personally.

I think people who suffer to a great degree as a result of their autism would probably be more inclined to want it gone, yeah. I'm in no way trying to undermine that there are a lot of autistic people who don't like being autistic.

But I think it becomes a problem once people assume that we ALL want to be cured, or even that we all think there's something "wrong" with us that needs to be "fixed." Like you said, a one-size-fits-all approach.

That's the whole issue with LGBTQ conversion therapy. It's based on a broad assumption that being gay or trans is "wrong" and that something needs to be "done about it." I think in a lot of cases it's also operating under an assumption that the gay person would also rather be "cured." But one of the reasons it's so horrible and brutal is that it's often done against the "afflicted" person's will.
I can't speak for all gay people but I personally don't view my sexuality as something that's "wrong" with me at all. Just different from most people. Conversion therapy didn't do anything for me except traumatize me. Same with ABA.
"If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

There are two big contributors to this behavior in "true believers" whether they be religiously or politically motivated.

1) They believe whatever they do in the name of their cause is intrinsically good. Even if they are concentrating on something they have no business delving into or speaking about, their intentions make their actions a net positive. Of course, they have zero proof they are doing any good. Instead they are confident everyone would see things their way if only they could succeed...but they never do and their beliefs are never actually tested, so they never have to confront that they might be wrong.

2) Concentrating on other peoples' problems allows them to ignore their own problems or, at least, it makes their problems appear to pale in comparison to whatever they are advocating about. This is a pass to avoid confronting their own social and psychological issues. They put forth huge amounts of effort to change others so they don't have to face their own shortcomings and traumas. Being constantly preoccupied with others' business prevents introspection, and that's the whole point.

Trying to "cure" autism or gayness is a lost cause. Because of this, it's a sustainable safety-blanket protecting them from being alone with their own thoughts.

I just realized I should've prefaced all my posts in this thread by clarifying that I am also Christian. Lol
I belong to a Unitarian congregation though.
Like Silhouette Mirage said, I love when Christianity is used as a helping hand, not as a weapon.

There are these ppl out there that believe that MMS (miracle mineral supplement) and bleach are a “cure” for autism. Saw a van parked in the parking lot of the supermarket I worked at claiming vaccines increase the risk of autism + adhd. I would’ve said something but I don’t want to get in trouble. (Van also had anti covid vax info on it too, I know it’s touchy but I’m not getting it so my mom won’t get upset at me)

Catching up as I'm getting up... Yup...

I do wonder why these groups pick Autism as one of their two main targets (in a sense), when there are so many other battles to pick... Would they say the same about Down's Syndrome?

There are these ppl out there that believe that MMS (miracle mineral supplement) and bleach are a “cure” for autism. Saw a van parked in the parking lot of the supermarket I worked at claiming vaccines increase the risk of autism + adhd. I would’ve said something but I don’t want to get in trouble. (Van also had anti covid vax info on it too, I know it’s touchy but I’m not getting it so my mom won’t get upset at me)
Seriously? Bleach is a cure? My mom used to detox my mouth and toys whenever I played with them or had gone to nursery and I sure am not cured. Some people are morons. It’s like the vaccine argument about the MMR causing autism, and despite it being debated and debunked, people still cling on to it like its truth.

For 'cure' I read 'cancel'. If there were to be a cure this would have to re-write neural pathways; it would change me from what I am now. There is also the other, genetic, aspect should the trigger be genetic. This is where it gets dangerous. We know so little about the whole genetic code and what so much of it does.

I do wonder why these groups pick Autism as one of their two main targets (in a sense), when there are so many other battles to pick... Would they say the same about Down's Syndrome?
That's an easy one to answer: Autism is fast becoming "the in thing" right now so they pick whatever is "cool" right now because it gets them the most attention (and money, of course). Down's Syndrome isn't "the in thing" so they don't bother, it wouldn't bring them as much attention as Autism.

Is this kind of thinking a "thing" in some Christian communities?
I've run into this with the fire and brimstone type evangelicals. They're the same ones currently flipping their lids over vaccines and running around screaming about "pure bloods", etc. The problems in their heads seem to outnumber the problems in mine.

New Threads

Top Bottom