• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Constantly Itchy!!!

Does anyone else constantly itch all the time? It's not bug bites or anything... I have a major skin condition caused by an auto inflammatory disorder that itches when it's healing. Then my skin is always so dry and even when I put on lotion I just have the intense need to scratch because I'm horrifically itchy. What can I do about this? Any advice is appreciated.

I'm also type II diabetic and I know that can cause itchiness but I have no idea if that's the culprit or not. Ever since I can remember my skin has been pretty dry and itchy but I'm sure having type II diabetes doesn't help. Sensory issues also play a big roll in it because any slight feeling of discomfort sends me into a spiral.

Life has just been so hard lately. I don't know what to do. :(

You should go and let a doctor check up on you dear and see if anything is wrong or can be helped in any way.

That sounds terrible having to have this itch all the time.

There's dermo shower gels etc that might help with itchy skin.

Stress and mental health issues can cause itchy skin though.

Ed

There's dermo shower gels etc that might help with itchy skin.

Stress and mental health issues can cause itchy skin though.

Ed

I do use a lot of those types of soaps but they end up drying my skin out ironically enough. However I do experience quite a bit of stress and mental health issues so I'm sure that's another contributing factor unfortunately.

You should go and let a doctor check up on you dear and see if anything is wrong or can be helped in any way.

That sounds terrible having to have this itch all the time.

I'm so bad at remembering to bring things up to the doctor but she did have a lotion she recommended and the real problem is that lotion does not work long term. It seems like my desert skin absorbs it all like rain on sand.

Does anyone else constantly itch all the time? It's not bug bites or anything... I have a major skin condition caused by an auto inflammatory disorder that itches when it's healing. Then my skin is always so dry and even when I put on lotion I just have the intense need to scratch because I'm horrifically itchy. What can I do about this? Any advice is appreciated.

I'm also type II diabetic and I know that can cause itchiness but I have no idea if that's the culprit or not. Ever since I can remember my skin has been pretty dry and itchy but I'm sure having type II diabetes doesn't help. Sensory issues also play a big roll in it because any slight feeling of discomfort sends me into a spiral.

I get the itchies! Sometimes my skin just feeling like I have a rash but there isn't one. You should get this checked by a doctor but from my own research I have concluded that I am expetiencing a histamine response to eith stress or just myself. When this happens I take an antihistimine. I prefer lortadine.

I get the itchies! Sometimes my skin just feeling like I have a rash but there isn't one. You should get this checked by a doctor but from my own research I have concluded that I am expetiencing a histamine response to eith stress or just myself. When this happens I take an antihistimine. I prefer lortadine.

That's alright, lol.

Claritin is something I used to take when I was a kid! I haven't had it in awhile. I now have Benadryl since it works better for me than Claritin, but since it's been so long I may end up trying it again. Obviously the big problem with antihistamines is that they can possibly make you sleepy. Though I guess taking a small daytime nap is better than being itchy. I will definitely make note of this.

I'm so bad at remembering to bring things up to the doctor but she did have a lotion she recommended and the real problem is that lotion does not work long term. It seems like my desert skin absorbs it all like rain on sand.

Then write them up so you can take it with you and read when at the docs or else were. Well if you already tried it & it didn't work you need to let the doc know this so they can perhaps suggest something else.

Have you tried plain baby oil ?

Googled nutrients to help with skin and it just linked lots of supplements - such is the way of the world I suppose.

Personally I'd say to try and get these from foods. So the nutrients listed were:

Vitamin A, D, zinc, and vitamin E

I love using the WHFoods site. It's literally the bible of healthy eating and it's so in depth with regards to the latest scientific research into health benefits of fruit, vegetables and such like.

So, for those nutrients and vitamins, here are the best sources (per serving):

Vit A.JPG
Vit D.JPG
Vit E.JPG
Zinc.JPG

Ed

That's alright, lol.

Claritin is something I used to take when I was a kid! I haven't had it in awhile. I now have Benadryl since it works better for me than Claritin, but since it's been so long I may end up trying it again. Obviously the big problem with antihistamines is that they can possibly make you sleepy. Though I guess taking a small daytime nap is better than being itchy. I will definitely make note of this.

Claratin is the onky antihustamine that does not make me sleepy.

I have mild eczema. My doctor told me to use CeraVe Moisturizing Cream on my skin and to bathe with Dove soap for Sensitive Skin. They help me with the dry skin, rash and itchiness.

Then write them up so you can take it with you and read when at the docs or else were. Well if you already tried it & it didn't work you need to let the doc know this so they can perhaps suggest something else.

Have you tried plain baby oil ?

Baby oil works if I apply it everyday but I don't like the feeling of it on my skin at all...
Googled nutrients to help with skin and it just linked lots of supplements - such is the way of the world I suppose.

Personally I'd say to try and get these from foods. So the nutrients listed were:

Vitamin A, D, zinc, and vitamin E

I love using the WHFoods site. It's literally the bible of healthy eating and it's so in depth with regards to the latest scientific research into health benefits of fruit, vegetables and such like.

So, for those nutrients and vitamins, here are the best sources (per serving):

View attachment 70127 View attachment 70128 View attachment 70129 View attachment 70130

Ed

I take a multivitamin with these in them but I can probably take a look at the health section when I go to Walmart next and pick up some supplements.

I have mild eczema. My doctor told me to use CeraVe Moisturizing Cream on my skin and to bathe with Dove soap for Sensitive Skin. They help me with the dry skin, rash and itchiness.

I'm glad you found a solution! My doctor also recommended CeraVe but the lotion is so expensive. I find Dove also dries me out as soon as I get out of the shower. :( I think I'm probably just meant to be itchy.

Baby oil works if I apply it everyday but I don't like the feeling of it on my skin at all...

I understand that's to bad tho but i do understand and respect of course.

Have you tried applying first Lotion and then over that the oil ? This way the oil isent directly on you're skinn

Last edited:
Hate to suggest this, but you might try asking your doctor to look at your dr to check your kidneys, because sadly, kidney disease and itching tend to go together.

I also have type 2 diabetes, but controllable and believe that is due to my anti acid meds. I did also, suffer from night time itching, but since taking vitamin b12, seems to have eased up and in fact, a less aggressive idea trying seeing how your vitamin levels are, because drs rarely think of vitamins and yet, our body is actually controlled by vitamins and minerals.

I don't use soap much, city water is full of chlorine which will strip oils from your skin, so you are using an oil remover from just showering under city water. There's also washing machine soap, which can be an irritant. I just use minimal.

The baby products isle in the supermarket has lotions/moisturisers for sensitive skin. I just use what is locally available in the sensitive skin range, whether baby or adult.

CVS pharmacy sells a lovely hydrocortisone ointment. Most hydrocortisone comes in a cream, that dries out your skin, sometimes causing further itching, but the ointment is petroleum jelly based, so it moisturizes really well. We use it on bug bites and dry elbows.

Last edited:
With diabetes, such continual itching might be indicative of high blood sugar. Something best considered by your primary physician.

In the meantime you might consider topically using some proven skin ointments. A former girlfriend of mine used to swear by Balmex Ointment when it came to her daughter's skin sensitivity, especially when she was wetting the bed around five and six years of age. Sometimes she wouldn't necessarily wake up after wetting the bed, and her own urine would irritate her skin depending on how long it took for her to wake up and let us know she wet the bed.

My g/f and I would take turns getting up to clean her daughter up, apply this ointment (topically) on her and put her into clean pajamas and sheets. The ointment always seemed to give her daughter almost instant relief, and prevent whatever rash and itching she might have from getting any worse. I know this product has both children and adult product lines when it comes to skin irritations. Though it's not intended to be applied internally.

It sounds like it could be something like psoriasis, which would be reason to see a dermatologist. I am also type2 diabetic and have psoriasis.

About 20 years ago I came down with a similar skin condition, a systemic rash that itched horribly and if I did scratch a place it would bleed. After playing the doctor game (sorry, I am not a big fan of the medical profession in the US) for 18-24 months, being miserable the whole time, I took matters into my own hands and eliminated some things from my diet. I stopped eating some of the more common things people have allergies to, like wheat, eggs, nuts, a few others. It took 3-4 weeks but the rash cleared up! So I slowly put back the things I had eliminated one at a time, and turned out I had become allergic to eggs. Why no doctor along the way could tell me that (and stop my suffering) or at least test for it I don't know. Without eggs I have been fine since.

From that experience, I learned that skin conditions are slow to respond so any remedy you apply may take a month or so see a change. I also learned doctors are not deities; take what they say with a lot of salt. The receive no training in diet/nutrition. And for chronic conditions like this, suspect diet. Even if a medication does help, what are you going to take it the rest of your life? Makes more sense to avoid a certain food or take a particular supplement.

@SakuraRoseMilkTea
You could try oatmeal bath.
(If you're not allergic to oats.)

"Colloidal oatmeal has both anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. This is thanks in large part to the presence of compounds that include vitamin E, ferulic acid, and aventhramides. The Journal of Drugs in Dermatology reports that aventhramides are the main antioxidant in oats.

Even in small amounts, the compounds found in colloidal oatmeal inhibit tumor necrosis factor-alpha and interleukin-8 release, which have been associated with conditions like psoriasis. These compounds also reduce itching."

Link tells how to prepare oatmeal to use.
Oatmeal Baths: How They Soothe Skin

Can an Oatmeal Bath Soothe Your Itchy Skin?

New Threads

Top Bottom