• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Conscious breathing or sensorimotor obsessions

Bella Pines

V.I.P Member
I've recently developed a new "thing" which after a bit of googling seems to be called "conscious breathing or sensorimotor obsessions".

Basically I've been consciously breathing. It's difficult to describe but it's like I've forgotten how to naturally breathe and every breath is a conscious decision. I'm going through a period of high anxiety, but when are we not!! :) This time, mother related. So that's probably what has brought it on.

So my questions are, had anyone else experienced this and how did you get past it? And is this an aspie thing? I do hope so, I don't want to add OCD to my label collection!

I forget to breath when I am really concentrating on doing something physical. I have had to remind myself to breath or I will run out of breath. Back in my racing days (a long time ago), the only thing that I ever saw on my pit board was the word "breath".

I am what the doctors call a shallow breather... It was part of what was causing so many of my panic attacks... There was very little oxygen in my blood when they tested me for symptoms of heart attack at 35... It wasn't nothing to do with my heart.

When I get upset I breath way too little, and way too shallow unto the point I cant hardly breathe and start coughing or yawning to breathe...

So I was taught for weeks (CBT) to STOP and consciously take at least 5 DEEP BREATHS 3 times a day and many more if possible...

So I do this before I eat every meal as part of my being thankful for that food and the information that helped me... It's an easy way not to forget (for me anyway).

Funny thing... Reading this... Guess what was the first thing I did? : )

Oh, for Pete's sake, @Frigemagnetman.
I know all too well this conscious breathing issue.
The only time I am not thinking about breathing is if
I am really mentally involved with something.

It is worse when driving and out in crowds.
My doctor calls it chronic hyperventilation and it is
an obsession that is worsened by anxiety.
I have tried various techniques to deal with it
because it can lead into a panic attack.
I have found the five deep breaths in and slowly
exhaling helps. Unless I've gone too far and I'm in the middle of a full blown panic attack. I can't concentrate
to do that then.
Walk for 15 mins a day, even if it's just inside the house,
with my mouth shut forcing me to breath through my nose. This helps with lung strengthening and the
"air hunger" feeling.
When driving I do count downs in my mind.
Twenty to zero slowly while trying to relax the
stomach muscles so I can breath deeper.

It's been an obsession most of my life.
I try to keep people from seeing me wanting to hyperventilate in public. It's embarassing.
I've often wondered how it feels to live life
without thinking about breathing since it should come
natural.

Ending this post with an air hunger SIGH...:(

I've often wondered how it feels to live life period.

Die. That's funny, I'm still nearly smiling :)

I'm glad it's an aspie thing, maybe it's the over analyzing part of the brain, it's like nothing I do is automatic, I don't really have any reflexes. Someone suggested to embrace it and that denying conscious breathing will just heighten the anxiety. Not quite sure what that means yet. Apparently there is also conscious blinking and swallowing. Damn I wish I hadn't thought of that ...

About 25 year's ago- yes.

I changed the way I 'brothe'
More diaphragm based, not chest based.
And I became super aware of my own breathing.

Sort of making it a meditation is a way out.
Dont try to stop it.
When you're aware, do the deep breaths and get busy with other stuff.

I also meditated,at the time, on my heartbeat and tried to slow it down.
Not recommended.

New Threads

Top Bottom