• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can your pet understand you when you talk to them?

Cinnamon115

Sometimes when I talk to my cat, Cinnamon, I feel like he understands what I'm saying. Like once he was meowing about a pile of wood that was in his favorite spot, and I said, "Don't worry, it won't be there forever." And he seemed to calm down. Anyone else's pets seem to understand what you say?

Most animals understand what I tell them, and I understand most of what they tell me. It's like I'm communicating with them energetically, using mental images, thoughts, and emotions to convey messages. They also understand the spoken words, but I still use the mental images to talk with them. They absolutely understand me. Animals are much more intelligent than humans give them credit for...

My dog usually seems to understand what I'm saying to him, especially if I say the same words on different occasions. Eg. "Treat for Toby" or "Bedtime for Toby". He picks up the words on my tone of voice, and he's also really good at telling how I'm feeling. He's really sensitive and even if I don't say anything and I'm feeling sad for example, he comes over and puts his big beagle head on my lap :) When I'm upset and having a meltdown, he gets really freaked out, and the other day he bellowed and howled repeatedly until I calmed down ten minutes later.

My dog picks up or ‘understands’ the repeated noises I make.

He associates them with an action he can perform to obtain reward.

He’s very good at picking up sign language. Not British or American, obedience or working trials,

But our own form.
On the days I have nothing to say but he still needs to follow instruction.

His heritage is largely sight hound. Watching comes naturally.
Use what’s already there (adapt for needs)

By return I ‘understand’ him. (Mostly)
Gruffs, huffs and woofs, nuances in body positioning or gesture to indicate intention or state.
We’ve trained each other.
I don’t know all dogs, just him.

Does my dog understand me ?
When he wants treats or games, sure :)

My cats ? That’s a whole ‘nother story.

Animals that have evolved to live around humans become experts at understanding our body language (better than we are even), and can certainly learn a few words, know what they mean and respond to them.

Yes.

Both the cats know their own names, the name of the other cat,
and the word "food." Also "milk."

At the park the other day, I gave a strange dog a wee treat. I know, I’m bad, and it kept hovering around me. The owners were shouting “Watson! Watson!” (Multiple times) and he didn’t take them on. Then I softly said “Watson” and he totally responded with his head and I pointed at the owners then he grudgingly went towards them as they understand when you’re pointing out. At first, he was like “huh?” Then understood that I meant go and follow your owners. :)

My cat knows her name, and has learnt two words/phrases: "din-dins" which she responds to by waiting by her bowl, and "where's your string" which she respond to by going to her string (her favourite toy). She also responds to tone of voice to a certain extent. Mostly she just has a short attention span and is easily distracted from whatever she's doing by my meaningless chatter.

Last edited:
I used to foster cats and one day I was looking for an excuse to avoid going on a weekend away and I looked at the cat and mentally asked, "what excuse can i give" and the words "tell the truth" came into my mind, so I just told the person concerned that I didn't want to go on the weekend away.
Cats know.

New Threads

Top Bottom