• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you scream?

Pats

V.I.P Member
Just wondering because I can't. Again, one of those things I know I couldn't do if my life depended on it.

No.
I can call loudly...
... or make involuntary, primeval noises when startled :)

If memory serves, I don’t think I ever have. (Screamed)

Do you specifically mean a high-pitched sort of sound, or do you just mean a loud cry, such as, "AHHH!!"?

No.

Long, long ago, I determined to use reflex to advantage. Unless I am trying to be heard at a distance, I do not scream, nor yell.

I don’t think I can. I think I am afraid of the scream. Not sure I would have Ben know how. I can’t even talk loud.

I can, but I should never, ever do it. I’m known for being soft-spoken, and good-natured. If I were to scream, it would freak a lot of people out.

This summer, one neighbor’s dog got out and started aggressively chasing my daughter. I went into full Papa Bear mode and chased that dog back into it’s back yard, then blocked the gate so it couldn’t get back out. I didn’t know it, but another neighbor saw me do it. She later said to my wife, “Is that what Rex looks like when he’s mad? Remind me to never make him mad!”

... so I try to avoid that mode as much as possible.

The last time I wanted to scream, I came to this site and posted on the Ranting Room thread instead.

Do you specifically mean a high-pitched sort of sound, or do you just mean a loud cry, such as, "AHHH!!"?
like those horror film screams or scream for help. I called for help once repeatedly - and no one ever heard me. :confused:

When I have to.
Usually in a reflex mode like when I was attacked by a dog once.
The sound is more of a defense Haaaa... as it frightens the animal giving you time to think.
Same with people.
I learned in Kung Fu training how sound is used to distract the attacker and also as a release of
energy during the strike.

like those horror film screams or scream for help. I called for help once repeatedly - and no one ever heard me. :confused:

Oh okay, I'm pretty sure I know what you mean. First reading it, it reminded me of when people would ask if you--I'm thinking now only boys--can still make that high-pitched scream we could make when we were kids that we lost after puberty. In middle-school, I screamed a lot in that high-pitched, female range voice, partly just because I could. :)

Now it's just a loud, "Ahhh!!" and I yell, "WHAT!" faster than I can consciously choose whether or not to do so. :eek: And any questions I ask in surprise tend to be very loud, such as, "What are you talking about!?!?!?!" :mad: or "RRREEAALLLY!?" :eek:

Am I too loud, as everyone says, or is the world just too quiet? ;)

No, actually, the world is also too loud.

Edit: I just realized that if I met someone as loud as me, that person would drive me nuts. :chestnut:

"Can I?" Physically, yes.

"Have I?" I can't remember ever screaming in any context (though I do "screams" in metal music, but its actually just singing loudly in the 5th octave - music is my primary talent/special interest btw).

Would I? Well let me put it this way: The one time I went on a serious roller coaster (and hated it and didn't understand how all that stimulation could be anything other than horrible to anyone), I couldn't scream even though every bone in my body wanted to. I was dead silent the entire time. Not a peep. Honestly, even life and death situations, I would likely find another way to handle it other than a scream. Screams make everything worse. I hate them. Its probably why I have a hard time imagining becoming a parent, frankly. Baby and toddler sounds are the equivalent of hell to me.

Frankly, I'm truly exhausted and startled by the IDEA of screaming. My energy just dropped trying to imagine the energy it would take and the immediate sensory overwhelm. I don't even like to raise my voice when someone can't hear me in a noisy room. I'll just stop talking and wait for them to be closer or the environment to quiet.

Yes, but only with my husband, which, of course, is bad, but taking meds to calm extreme anger that he often instills.

However, the scream is oftened muffled, due to how agitated I feel.

I have a strong startle response to I scream in the high pitched scared sense embarrassingly regularly. As for a deliberate loud scream yes I can do that too.

I went out into a field near where I live after some heated family troubles and I just screamed my head of.

Turns out if you do that you loose your voice for several days.

I can't make that screechy noise. Seems too awkward for me? I don't like my voice either,I sound very high pitched and childish but can't use my voice for screaming. In dangerous situation I'd rather yell and shout than scream. That's interesting because I can do high notes while singing and can't scream. Also I'm very loud but I get annoyed easily when someone is arguing haha.

New Threads

Top Bottom