• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you scream?

Me screaming hurts my ears. Me talking in any voice but a soft one hurts my ears. I carry a whistle for absolute emergencies.

I used to be able to do the Goofy Yell perfectly:

In college, I scared the bejeebers out of some of my friends with that yell.

I can't hit that high, falsetto-type note anymore. <sigh> :(

I used to be a pro at screaming, because I had meltdowns so often. I developed an ear-piercing scream that was kind of ugly...

LOL. I doubt it. Though I can't say that I've ever tried.

But I can hang my head back and howl and gurgle like a Yorkshire Terrier. Does that count? :p

And in my youth I could once do a Tarzan yell much like Johnny Weissmuller. Maybe that's close enough. ;)

Aha I have two yorkshire terriers one pased away but he used to do that howl kind of, it was more abrasive than the dog in the videos though. But our puppy makes what we describe as Pigeon noises. Like he's trying to talk to us!!, which i've no doubt he is.

Yes I can,I can very loudly if a sudden noise scares me or I didn’t know that someone was behind and I turn around,I get startled very easily.

Yes I can,I can very loudly if a sudden noise scares me or I didn’t know that someone was behind and I turn around,I get startled very easily.
I get startled easily, too. I jump a foot in the air very quietly.

This just happened yesterday - I was working around the house and as I bent down, my keys in my pocket got pressed together and it set off the panic button to my car. My car started honking loudly at the same moment my two teenagers were in the garage. They don't react well to loud noises or surprises and they both screamed at the top of their lungs. I don't react well to loud noises and surprises, so that set me on edge. I ran upstairs, closed the bedroom door, and just chilled out quietly for 10 minutes until I was right-in-the-head.

I have nightmares where I'm in trouble but can't scream. I hate those. The one time I did scream in a dream was because I was overloaded with sound, and I woke up amazingly relieved. I haven't tried to scream, though, and am constantly terrified I couldn't do it if I tried. I don't feel secure enough, even screaming into a pillow, to actually try.

No. I was always the quiet child and person overall. Easy to miss, easy to forget which is quite ironic since I turned out rather tall. Hard to say though if it was a self-defence mechanism started in childhood or something related to autism.

New Threads

Top Bottom