• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can you scream?

I used to as a child, but it was screechy noises more than anything else... I can't really scream now, because it hurts my throat too much and it's just too dang loud :) It's mostly in reflex these days, and even then it's not very loud. Even on scary roller coasters, it's more of a whimper...

Though, having said all that - that doesn't mean I don't want to be able to scream sometimes... Instead I listen to music that does the screaming for me.

Last edited:
I would not want to be in a position where screaming was required.

verb
verb: scream; 3rd person present: screams; past tense: screamed; past participle: screamed; gerund or present participle: screaming
  1. 1.
    give a long, loud, piercing cry or cries expressing excitement, great emotion, or pain.
    "they could hear him screaming in pain"
    • cry something in a high-pitched, frenzied way.
      "I ran to the house screaming for help"
      "he screamed in pain"
      antonyms: whisper
    • urgently and vociferously call attention to one's views or feelings, especially ones of anger or distress.
      "his supporters scream that he is being done an injustice"
    • make a loud, high-pitched sound.
      "sirens were screaming from all over the city"
    • move very rapidly with or as if with a loud, high-pitched sound.
      "a shell screamed overhead"
noun
noun: scream; plural noun: screams
a long, loud, piercing cry expressing extreme emotion or pain.
"they were awakened by screams for help"

====================================

I can, but I hate being loud so I don’t. Only when I’m so upset that my primal instinct kicks in do I scream.

I could blow your eardrums out the back of your head.

I'd really rather not though. I'm not cleaning that up.

That’s so me Pat! I have such a hard time being heard! I could never get a part in a movie where I had to scream. Whisper maybe... but not scream. I always thought that was odd that I couldn’t scream.
like those horror film screams or scream for help. I called for help once repeatedly - and no one ever heard me. :confused:

Nope. However, I remember a screem I attempted that did work when I seen a rat outside from the living room window when I was a teen. It was an attempt to express myself to my parents who were in another room. :tearsofjoy: Since then, I don’t think I can or even attempt to. I don’t understand kids who scream for no reason. (girls) I mean there’s a reason for everything, but screaming when you’re not scared, in danger, etc., is just ridiculous.

Do you mean scream if frightened or as in scream at some one or throwing a tantrum.

Yes. When I was in the psych ward I wasn't feeling well so I was screaming a lot and the social worker said I had the perfect scream for a horror movie. Honestly it would be easier if I couldn't scream. I try not to scream but I still do sometimes.

So its a bit shaming to admit this but, I bottle things up until it erupts every 5-months or so, into a half hour ear piercing shrieking scream when someone tries to talk to me in full emotional shut down... thats not all that happens but the screaming is loud enough that the neighbour did wonder if i hurt someone.. I didn't. Um in short, I do errupt... and it's not a choice it bubbles out violently like a boiled pot... and until it runs its course it doesnt stop.... I can logic myself til the cows come home but... I think for me its a lot of sadness, frustration, anger and other things i cant release until pushed to the limit... oh gosh this was a long post sorry.

If the OP means "in a high pitch," then no. I'm a baritone. I can still shout, if I am startled (or angry enough).

Maybe a Wilhelm scream...

Was it when you were trying to call for a Store Employee? :p
That's funny. Actually, I was being attacked by an ahlzeimer patient in the hallway and wasn't even able to yell help loud enough for anyone in the rooms to hear me. Just happened that someone walked out of one of the rooms and seen me. My help was no louder than a normal speaking voice.

I can scream like a stupid little girl when I'm startled or frightened really badly by something I wasn't prepared for, like when I'm in my parent's car and they suddenly slam on the brakes because of some idiot driver. Or even when my younger cat jumps into my lap but he sinks his claws right into my leg.

Do you mean scream if frightened or as in scream at some one or throwing a tantrum.
I'm asking more about the frightened screaming or help, but either. Let's say you're being attacked by a grizzly where most people scream (right?)

I'm asking more about the frightened screaming or help, but either. Let's say you're being attacked by a grizzly where most people scream (right?)
Physically yes, but I don't feel like it.
Imagine seeing a young teen going on a pretty extreme rollercoaster, keeping a grumpy face and trying not to hyperventilate while everyone is screaming.

LOL. I doubt it. Though I can't say that I've ever tried.

But I can hang my head back and howl and gurgle like a Yorkshire Terrier. Does that count? :p

And in my youth I could once do a Tarzan yell much like Johnny Weissmuller. Maybe that's close enough. ;)

Last edited:

New Threads

Top Bottom