• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can ASD people also have a learning disability?

I had my Grandmother she modivated me and use to study and tutor me but it was not enough to pass some of the tests. Also no amount of tutoring made me pass college tests.

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself, Tony.

There's another very basic premise to consider. Higher education is just not for everyone.

It wasn't easy for me either, especially all those courses that I had to take that didn't interest me in the least. In looking back at it all, and seeing how much more lucrative vocational education was for me, if I had to do it all over again I doubt I would have chosen college at all.

I had trouble speaking when I was a kid. My grandmother helped me speak. When I entered school I was doing great until 3rd grade when I started to fall behind. I was never put in slow classes. I was always in regular classes through High School.

What I could say is that I could learn things that are interesting. Like every local radio station call letters and frequency. Back then when we only had 80 cable stations I could remember every one even when they kept moving around. Songs word for word. Movie trailers word for word.

As for school work I could remember art and photography the only classes in high school I got a 100%. I also did good in computer class which I loved computers but back then they were primitive machines running Windows 3.1 with no internet but I still learned how to type fast and figured out on my own how to use Windows.

By "trouble speaking when you were a kid", may I ask what do you mean (just out of interest)? I mean do you mean you had difficulty speaking but could speak or couldn't but I guess that also depends on how old you were? To be honest I don't really remember when I was a kid (like elementary school aged) but I do know that I did have receptive and expressive language delay as a young kid (I think I had more severe expressive than receptive language delay). But I believe language delay could be part of autism but could also be separate from autism in someone who doesn't have autism (the DSM-IV criteria states that impairment in communication for Autistic Disorder but now it's the DSM-V).

I understand being able to learn things that are interesting. :) Because I guess that'd be less boring.

I always though Non-Verbal Learning Disorder was when you did not speak. Of course back in the 90's they never heard of this.

From what I've read on the Internet it seems that Non-Verbal learning Disorder is not actually an official diagnostic term but refers to significant difficulties in non-verbal skills and non-verbal cues despite at least a normal IQ, I don't know if what I wrote is really an accurate description of NVLD though (Nonverbal Learning Disorder – South County Child & Family Consultants).

I wouldn't be so hard on yourself, Tony.

There's another very basic premise to consider. Higher education is just not for everyone.

It wasn't easy for me either, especially all those courses that I had to take that didn't interest me in the least. In looking back at it all, and seeing how much more lucrative vocational education was for me, if I had to do it all over again I doubt I would have chosen college at all.
Perhaps another premise to consider is that it is not only how well one does in high school, college or vocational training that matters but also how well one is able to cope with society etc after that? Though the original poster did say that they passed high school with mostly Cs (so did satisfactorily there).

I did not cope with society well after graduating from high school. In college now that I remember I had couple of people say hi to me but back then unlike now my social skills were so poor I use to not even say hi back sometimes but nodded my head. It was so bad I use to sneak out of rooms.

I also forgot to say but I found God around the year 2000. My social skills improved somewhat. I also worked that year too.

It was not until recently coming back to Church after backsliding for 15 years, and that I am back on Seroquel that my social skills improved greatly even messaging a girl.

I still live at home but because of this pandemic going around these past failures in my life have been coming too life. But people I talk to now message from the Church are all positive saying I can do it.

I might not have had a serious learning disability the issues were if a subject was boring I did not do good so since math and English was confusing I got bored which made me suffer more when I had to write which is why I failed and retake that music class I like.

As you can see from my writing I still have bad grammar which is why I have been watching Grammer videos, and videos on Math subjects I struggled with on YouTube.

Last edited:
...I was a smart kid, a good reader early on. My parents lived in very well-off, very upper middle class towns pretty heavily, in fact, " for the good schools ?", rather financially straining themselves to do so, even when they were financially well off.
My younger brother was diagnosed both retarded and autistic he was " childlike ", like a four-year old, I guess. This was the Sixties and Seventies. My brother is dead now, so I refer to him in the past tense. I'm backing into saying things about my background that I've never said here, I believe, maybe maybe making a reply answering someone motivates me. I was a good reader early on, I guess, and I was skipped over kindergarten,, I think partly? because I was born in January and they thought that being born in the beginning of a new year had me seen as having to take kindergarten when I was too old/big. Jumping ahead to high school, I was sent by the HS to a " special " school, not a " regular " Ridgemont/Riverdale/Rydell High, for better or worse. The town that I lived in from.6-18 was really really REALLY upper-middle class, the HS there lands on list/s of " Best High Schools " because (that's what that U.S. News and World Report list is based on IIRC) such a large % of grads go to college - because it's such a well-off town, obviously! My parents lived in the less well-off part of this town, but I feel a little embarrassed saying that - it's like saying you're " from the slums of Beverly Hills or Highland Park " but it's - kind of - true, I suppose. I had few friends. Familiar Aspie Looking back, beyond my actual emotional tied to my family and house, I had little ties to this town. story, I suppose;).However, I was sent by my school district to the " special " school for much of the HS years.
Really, I should make this a new post to focus the attention on this, but I have written this here and considering that, you know, this little phone is all I have and I am.mega-incompetent with computer skills:(. I just can't really delete this and write it as a new post, I'd never get it done again.

I've also had difficulty with reading comprehension and memorizing stuff since probably grade school. I don't get distracted like you'd think of ADHD, I just literally don't remember. Even now in middle age I could be reading a book and forget a second later who all the characters were. Not a big deal to read the paragraph again but I'm assuming most people didn't have this difficulty all throughout their lives. Thinking back on it I'm kind of amazed I graduated HS and college at all. I should've been guided towards a non-college track of schooling and career IMO. And I'm guessing since I'm female the school people didn't consider that I might have Aspergers or a Learning disability? Who knows.

It also did not help my college career that I picked a school that had nothing I wanted to major in just because my parents said I had to go to college.

Absolutely, I was in the learning disabled programs all through school. I went to a specific University too that had a strong support program.

I was told by my psychiatrist that if I went back to school they help people with ASD and learning disabilities. I don't know if that is true.

I finished college in 1999. They had help at that time!
I went to tutoring in school but it did not help at all. Matter of fact the old guy who was tutoring me could not understand why I could not remember the information. I have not felt so dumb in my life then at college.

Dude I'm hella learning disabled. Ask me many things about edible and medicinal plants, or plant based medicine, or space weather and about how solar cycles effect weather on earth, and I'll sound like an encyclopedia. But ask me to do math or grammar, and I can't even learn it.

I am glad I'm a mom because I have an excuse to go with my daughter to the sunday school. That's where I do most of my Christian learning. The sermons are often very confusing to grasp, but simple sunday school games and stories, I get.

Also I took and failed remedial classes in math and English in college. The same crap I took in high school but at least there I was able to pass English doing extra credit. No such thing in college.

I also think I have Dsygraphia as I have trouble writing things, and have bad handwriting but I can easily type things even on my phone keyboard. I am also a bad note taker again poor comprehension skills another learning disability.

It seems like I suffer from five learning disabilities. Dsygraphia, dyscalculia, poor comprehension, Non-verbal Learning Disability and ADHD. No wonder I was such a failure academy. Anyone with that many learning disabilities would be too.

Last edited:
I recall the traumas of my student years. My special interest in words got me "through" a form of dyslexia though I had a very strange method in reading (random pages, and spiralling).

I was introduced to the term "Specific Learning Differences" in my 40s, Jan Poustie was a good author on this at that time I seem to recall.

I also think I have Dsygraphia as I have trouble writing things, and have bad handwriting but I can easily type things even on my phone keyboard. I am also a bad note taker again poor comprehension skills another learning disability.

At junior school where the teaching was at a gentle pace, we had a wonderful "real writing" teacher. Most people make remarks at my handwriting as if they are jealous or have to look down their noses. The reason I have to do it that way is because it doesn't make sense to me if I don't!

I only learned note taking in late middle age. Yes the comprehension is one of the main levels - I reawakened my instinct for spatial thinking. I also split short-term memory between the auditory and visual (this also helps me write down phone numbers).

Thanks for all the kind words. It seems that people with ASD, Asperger's, Highly Functioning Autism can have learning disabilities. For me to have that many disabilities with zero help from teachers, counselors, and peers I am surprised I even passed High School without going to summer school or getting left back.

I guess studying for hours and not really remembering most the information did not help. Tutoring also did not help much either, but as I said before teachers had pity on me when I begged them for extra credit assignments they agreed which pushed my grades to around the 70%'s which is a C average.

New Threads

Top Bottom