• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can a person with autism be transformed?

Dude , you. Would be so much more happy if you accept who you are because that's all you will ever be, and your perfect for who,what and where you are right this minute. You are enough.
Dude, no, I really don't think so. We are all so much more than just this annoying condition. Why should we allow ourselves to be defined by it? Do blind or deaf people do this, or do they make a determined effort to transcend or work around their limitations? I make no apologies for not wanting to be this way. It has ruined my life. I can only hope and pray that reincarnation is real, because I want another go at this, an opportunity to start again from scratch.

I like to think being born again christianity wise, is the closest we will get to reincarnation.

You can be born again, just ask Jesus into your life. As for being healed, that's an individual thing. There's nothing wrong with asking for healing; if you get it, it might come in stages rather than all at once, to enable you to get used to the changes that occur.
I've prayerfully managed to overcome the worst of my social gaffes, most of them before I realised I was autistic. But I have to bear in mind that if I overcome one symptom, another one takes its place or gets worse, so it is a bit of a balancing act. If you're not healed, it doesn't mean you're not a Christian, no matter what others may say; and healing isn't necessarily dependent on your level of faith either.
God knows how your brain works, and He can use you, even if it isn't in the ways you would like. You may or may not be under a curse, I don't know; if you think you are, pray against it and see what happens. Either way, you are fearfully and wonderfully made, God knit you together in your mother's womb. Don't forget that.

Dude, no, I really don't think so. We are all so much more than just this annoying condition. Why should we allow ourselves to be defined by it? Do blind or deaf people do this, or do they make a determined effort to transcend or work around their limitations? I make no apologies for not wanting to be this way. It has ruined my life. I can only hope and pray that reincarnation is real, because I want another go at this, an opportunity to start again from scratch.
The fact is it's what you do with what you have.to work with and your attitude about it. Don't look at it as defined by those who don't have it,I don't know your story,I'm sorry. What I do know is my whole life h a s been lousy,my family did nothing when they were told by my school that I should be seen by someone because I may be autistic. The bullies and the confusion stopped me for from getting any kind of education past 7th grade and the only reason I made it that far was because a use the system didn't know what to do with me not did they care what would happen because of this. My family just let me drift and I was used and manipulated and passed around for some 20 years. Hooked on meth and whatever would help me not have to see the way the world was treating me. Etc.Etc. boo hoo. But what good can come from hating something that makes you unique in a world of people who all hide and try and be each other and are being programmed daily to s sTay in line and be essentially cattle? Find what's good about you and what good you can do in the world. Use the tools available. You have strengths. No doubt that only you possess. See those things. Love yourself like I love you, like God loves you like jesus loves you. Because no matter what has happened to you that love will always be there.

But what good can come from hating something that makes you unique in a world of people who all hide and try and be each other and are being programmed daily to s sTay in line and be essentially cattle? Find what's good about you and what good you can do in the world. Use the tools available. You have strengths. No doubt that only you possess. See those things. Love yourself like I love you, like God loves you like jesus loves you. Because no matter what has happened to you that love will always be there.

Yes, I have to admit, I really am bitter and twisted, and the reasons for this are long, boring, personal and painful, and my bitterness often shows up in comments. I know what you're saying, and it would be good to find the proverbial silver lining in all of this.

Just on a sidenote though, this very morning (Wednesday in Australia) I lost yet another casual-basis job. I had what I thought was a friendly disagreement with the person I worked for whom I thought was trying to swindle me (I didn't say that though). I remained calm, asked questions about what was going on (as I just naturally do), when all of a sudden, without any warning that I could see, she stormed off and said, "You're not working for (name of company) anymore". I was left - once again - wondering just what the hell had happened. Why DO things like this happen? Could it have something to do with Asperger's Syndrome perhaps?

Yes, I have to admit, I really am bitter and twisted, and the reasons for this are long, boring, personal and painful, and my bitterness often shows up in comments. I know what you're saying, and it would be good to find the proverbial silver lining in all of this.

Just on a sidenote though, this very morning (Wednesday in Australia) I lost yet another casual-basis job. I had what I thought was a friendly disagreement with the person I worked for whom I thought was trying to swindle me (I didn't say that though). I remained calm, asked questions about what was going on (as I just naturally do), when all of a sudden, without any warning that I could see, she stormed off and said, "You're not working for (name of company) anymore". I was left - once again - wondering just what the hell had happened. Why DO things like this happen? Could it have something to do with Asperger's Syndrome perhaps?
It could be equally be her having someone question her authority as anything to do with being aspie. I know I personally always wonder what I have done, thankfully my amazing partner of 15 years is always there to point out that others are actually are possibly messed up in their own way and I don't always need to take all the blame. So consider that maybe it's not you and be thankfully you are free to find a better situation.

Why DO things like this happen? Could it have something to do with Asperger's Syndrome perhaps?

I heard that people with Aspergers are often taken the wrong way because we have a hard time with reading people and then expressing our emotions properly. Not sure if you do, but I do. I'm an avoider personality wise because of it and often get the short end of the stick because it is an easier path to go.

Not necessarily. Early Christians, followers of the Christ, didn't have issues with reincarnation.

Joel Olsteen I believe, believes heaven is now and that it is on earth, and that there is no hell. I personally believe in the end times and or going to heaven when I die. But that there is a chance I will burn in hellfire if I sin.

I'm hoping I can still be transformed even thou I sin a little bit at the moment. I know no ones perfect, but I do not want to take a chance, so everyday I try to sin less, hoping for it to be enough. I guess it depends on the sin, maybe all sins are not created equal? and that say if I smoke cigarettes, this might not send me to hell, but it may defile the temple and that the holy ghost may not reside inside me as much.

I think high functioning autism and asperger's should be accepted, and low functioning should be "fought" and supported. How do you know what is high functioning and not is another story altogether. Life seems to work "best" when you aim for balance. We want to try to absorb the advantages of autism and find ways to modify arguably disadvantageous traits through psycho therapy or changing environment (sometimes one should be done, and sometimes the other should be done.)

I think you are right, I think people that are on the high part of the spectrum should accept instead of change their autism. But, if there are traits that are radically debilitating then those traits should be fought and one should attempt to change them. I have debilitating traits that I would like to be changed. I consider myself on the low end of the high end on the spectrum, if that makes sense?

I think high functioning autism and asperger's should be accepted, and low functioning should be "fought" and supported. How do you know what is high functioning and not is another story altogether. Life seems to work "best" when you aim for balance. We want to try to absorb the advantages of autism and find ways to modify arguably disadvantageous traits through psycho therapy or changing environment (sometimes one should be done, and sometimes the other should be done.)
i respect your view paloftoon, but i really disagree with you.
as an LFAer,i do not need my condition fighting,i need more significant support than an aspie,stronger understanding so that i can be communicated with better,better understanding of my behaviors so they can help to work around them,and also better well trained support staff,but at the same time i believe we should be allowed to celebrate our LF autistic side if we are at peace with ourselves like aspies.
i love being me,LFA has given me a very rich and colourful view of the world and i have some very good strengths like working with computers,a passion for helping all animals and a passion to help other autistic and intellectually disabled people as an activist and advocate,so being LFA doesnt suck and doesnt need removing-its hard to deal with a lot such as police restraint [luckily doesnt happen with me very often but every police incident sticks with you forever] but its no tragedy,i believe in christianity so to me; i believe god put us on the earth for a reason and it would be very wrong for people to mess with what came natural to the world,i think the same thing about people with downs syndrome, ive known so many people with it and dont have one negative thing to say about them, they have qualities and skills like the rest and can live completely independantly in some cases,i hate the way they are plucked off for abortion purely because they have that label,this is what will happen to autistic people.

I believe that you must first accept and embrace who you are right now -- a person on the spectrum. Learn all you can regarding what that entails. KNOW THYSELF. Then, when you are fully aware (and you may already be), you might want to consider readying about how the brain forms new neuro pathways, there's quite a bit of information online.

You will always be autistic, but you, to some degree, have the power to choose HOW you will be autistic. At this time, you've chosen to live with "crippling autism and agoraphobia." I don't know the ways in which your autism is crippling, but I do know that nothing will change unless you decide to move outside of your comfort zone.

I really hope you are in therapy. If that is not possible for you at this time, you might want to explore guided imagery meditation. Don't just try it once then give up, really give the guided meditation a chance -- at least two weeks of trying it daily. (You can find a list of videos for guided meditations which focus on agoraphobia here: https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Guided+Meditation+for+agoraphobia

Doing something repeatedly is what strengthens neuro pathways in the brain. Right now, you have strong aversions to the world beyond your front door. You need to try to alter your thoughts about what it might be like to leave your home and explore. Guided meditations are a safe way for you to imagine being out in the world while still being in the safety of your own home.

Your mind is malleable, not fixed. That is the most important point for you to remember. Master your mind (your thoughts) and you can alter your future. It will take work but I believe (in most cases) it's doable.

I hope something in all of that is at least a little helpful. I hate to think of you living in fear, allowing the world to just pass by, when you could be actively participating. Best of luck to you!
ヽ(•‿•)ノ

http://www.authenticityassociates.com/neural-plasticity-4-steps-to-change-your-brain/

practicing a new habit under the right conditions, can change hundreds of millions and possibly billions of the connections between the nerve cells in our neural pathways. The human brain is made up of an estimated 100 billion neurons making a total of 100 trillion neural connections.

I tweak the advice in the link above and right now I use the bible to change these pathways and connections and it works.

I know the bible does so much and that I have to meet God half way. I use to be deathly afraid of death, now I am not. I use to not work at all, now I have a small part time job, everyday mundane things use to be hard for me, now they are getting easier for me to do. I feel I may have purpose now in life, before I thought life was pointless.

I find that memorizing scripture/quotes comes in handy for my fears and delusions along with my inactivity. I use to spend 24 hours some times in the house and most days I never left my house. now I get 1 hour of exercise a day and occasionally leave to go shopping and that is it. Other then that I plan to hopefully build up enough courage to attend church.

This church I attended 1 year ago invited methrough a hand written note to atend a thanksgiving dinner which I never went to. This is feel is the correct church for me but my agoraphobia is like a self inflicted prison sentence it is pretty sad

I attribute my agoraphobia to my delusions, fears, depression,social anxiety which I got mostly from isolating myself. It like one big cycle, I need to take baby steps out of this life style it leads to hell on earth and sadly the only reason that kept me from doing things to mysef back in the day was the fear of hell.

Last edited:
My situation is interesting in that I easily could've been considered an LFA depending on how I was raised. I definitely ended up as an HFA. Some things I have ended up doing are quite amazing even of an NT, and you wonder if I'm really on the spectrum at all. Other things I've done socially are so inept you wonder if I'm really a person you want to associate with :(

So, LyricalMuse and toothless, there is a value to what you have added as well.

New Threads

Top Bottom