• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can a person with autism be transformed?

In the Bible it says in Romans 12:2, that the mind can be transformed. Does anyone not accept their autism like me and want to be changed?

Or is it best to accept autism, and embrace it, because it is who we are?
For me there is always a balance to be struck between self-acceptance and the prospect of transformation. I am always minded of what Temple Grandin is reputed to have said, 'Autism is a developmental disorder, and I'm still developing.'

It's important to be kind to yourself and accept what you can't change right now, while at the same time engaging with whatever process you have available that offers the prospect of transformation, no matter how limited this may seem. This process may be linked to religion, therapy, art, whatever.

I often have to remind myself that everything is changing all the time, nothing is at rest for even a moment. This encourages me and reminds me that the potential for transformation is always there; even if I cannot access it in that particular moment, hour ,day etc. Somethings will improve quickly, some slowly, and some not at all. Yet, in all this movement, there is always the possibility that something will change, shift, mutate; and then what once seemed impossible becomes at least conceivable.

For me it's like this: I am currently working on the seal of the glass jar of my avatar with a crow bar. One day, I don't know when, I will break the seal, breath the fresh air, and climb out into the world. I will still be me, still have ASD yet be able to meet the world half way.

The world isn't going to transform itself for our benefit. Yet, when we develop the capacity to face the world honestly, as ourselves, we find that we have changed not only ourselves but also the world.

So, can we be transformed? Yes, gradually; issue by issue, day by day. Should we aim for neurotypical conformity? No. It's an impossible goal, and why should we? We can accept where we are now and embrace our potential for transformation simultaneously. But that transformation will never be complete, should never be complete. Why? Because it doesn't need to be. We are OK as we are. All of us, neurotypical or not are flawed. It is through struggling to overcome our flaws that we become our best selves. It is then that we are most human.

Without these flaws however, there would be no opportunity to achieve transformation and maybe no motivation to try. I think that we can accept that we have the capacity for transformation while also accepting that it is the work of a life time: maybe many life times.

How do you seperate the two? You were born with it and shaped by it. It is a part of you. In more then just body. Your thoughts and beliefs are all molded threw its lense.

In the Bible it says in Romans 12:2, that the mind can be transformed. Does anyone not accept their autism like me and want to be changed?

Autism itself is not a disease but a health condition.

Fighting a disease may seem futile in some cases, but fighting autism isn't.

God can transform anyone. Look at how He transformed Saul of Tarsus. He transformed my life & He can transform you too.if any man be in Christ, he is a NEW creature. God is making a NEW Heaven and NEW Earth. God is the God of the regenerated soul, giving new life to those that ask His Son to be their Savior.

God can transform anyone. Look at how He transformed Saul of Tarsus. He transformed my life & He can transform you too.if any man be in Christ, he is a NEW creature. God is making a NEW Heaven and NEW Earth. God is the God of the regenerated soul, giving new life to those that ask His Son to be their Savior.

Even those with AS can serve God despite their neurotype.

Any data points or examples of Good changing anyone's neurotype?

Your neurotype doesn't define you in your entirety. God can use You as you are for His glory and for the furtherance of the Gospel message of the free grace of God in Christ.

Well, Autism is defined as a neurological disorder according to modern medicine. I feel that we consist of body (physical), mind (mental), and soul (spirit). If you physically have a neurological disorder, the logic would be that the rest of your "being" would be affected. This also infers that holistically, we cannot compartmentalize one part of ourselves from the others. All that to say, I believe in physical/spiritual/mental healing. However, hating a part of yourself is a violation of your self. You are not a mistake and don't have less value because of your disorder. Everyone, to some degree, is ill and needs help.

Transformation implies a change.
Since it does not limit the from what or the to what I, surely we can all be transformed (or changed)?

It's possible...anything's possible with God; at least that's my belief. My thing is, I am who I am, and I just think Asperger's adds to my personality instead of taking away from it.

Clintos,
In my religious upbringing, this verse is applying to the renewing of our mind. Thus the Holy Spirit transforms us. Not a physical transformation, but a spiritual and metaphysical one.

It’s a funny thing, for years, even since I was a child, I wondered if salvation could be mine because I don’t generally like being around people.

I thought “How can someone who doesn’t like people possibly be saved?” and of course I had no idea at the time I was an aspie.

I figured God would just let me be in some beautiful isolated place mostly alone for eternity. That thought was like precious gold to me.

As I have grown I understand that we are all distorted and broken, and that God will fully restore us to perfection in not just character, but in brain function as well.

I didn’t choose to be an aspie any more than I did to go bald. It was wired in me before I was born.

God will do what He has promised and change this corruption to incorruptible. I don’t have to fret about it any longer and can continue in this life with the confidence that all these trials are but temporary.

Though I am sure I will still enjoy those long moments of solitude.

Normal? Please define that for me because I don't believe it exists. What a boring world this would be if everyone was the same. I would rather struggle with my sensory issues and hear people tell me "That boy ain't quite right in the head." then be considered "Normal."

Normal? Please define that for me because I don't believe it exists.
Normal is the average (mean)* developmental milestones among NTs, mathematically speaking. NTs aren't individually "normal" either, but relatively closer to the mean than we, the neuro-diverse, are. Our pronounced deviation from it is the basis of the diagnoses for both Pervasive Development Disorder (autism) & Asynchronous Development (gifted).

*I like to say, "Average people are so mean...!"
full

Last edited:
I think that yes, God can and does cure autism.

That being said, the major majority of us stay autistic our whole life. Think of Paul who had the "thorn in his side" that hurt really bad. Several times he begged God to take it out, and God said that he wouldn't because it made him stronger and a better person.

Our minds can be renewed. Yes. I have been changed so much since I came to Christ. I can't even recognize the old me. In fact, when I run into things written by me over a decade ago, I'm like "Wow, I actually used to think like that!? Praise the Lord that I'm His now."

You are who you are for a reason. Delight in your adversity, for your reward will be greater in Heaven.

Absolutely the latter, in my opinion. Self hatred and condemnation, and wishing to be someone you're not only leads to unnecessary pain and suffering. And trauma. The world is ableist enough without us adding to it. Especially by internalizing such ableism!

Would it be considered a miracle if ones mind was radically changed from being a person with autism to being normal? like say for example I, who is house bound with crippling autism and agorophobia if I all a sudden was able to be a neurotypical who loves the outdoors, would that be a miracle? to me and imo it would be. I would not stop thanking God for it, because He, imo is the only one that would be able to do it. I tried everything I am 38 year old now and am not getting any younger, I could be hit by a truck like this:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

And never get a chance to be normal.

Just a note of clarification: autism and agoraphobia are two entirely different things. One does not have to necessitate the other.

Umm... seeing others' posts on the difficulties of autism etc. I'm thinking this might be a hood time to bring up the difference between hating the difficulties autism creates because of brain misfires, vs hating oneself, and wanting to be someone else who doesn't have an autistic perspective on the world. It's totally okay to be frustrated and upset about the difficulties autism brings into your life!! It is possible to both hate the problems, and like the different perspective on things that being who you are gives you! There does not have to be opposition between the two viewpoints.

there are things in life, often in old age, that push autism right out the window of our minds, and make us wish it would come back and kick the interlopers out.

IOW autism is the least of my problems right now. not to diminish in the least, what others are going through, i speak only for myself.

New Threads

Top Bottom