• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Can a person with autism be transformed?

Just like coral were once considered plants by scientist, but, are now considered to be wonderous animals. I hope to one day wake up and all a sudden say the scientists were wrong about Evolution.

Literally never going to happen.

Would it be considered a miracle if ones mind was radically changed from being a person with autism to being normal? like say for example I, who is house bound with crippling autism and agorophobia if I all a sudden was able to be a neurotypical who loves the outdoors, would that be a miracle? to me and imo it would be. I would not stop thanking God for it, because He, imo is the only one that would be able to do it. I tried everything I am 38 year old now and am not getting any younger, I could be hit by a truck like this:

Embedded media from this media site is no longer available

And never get a chance to be normal.

Yeah I think it would be a miracle too

I have to take issue with this too. I'm not "not normal" just because I'm on the spectrum.

My friend keeps telling me that I am normal.
One thing to consider though is that I can pass as NT pretty easily. But maybe even if I was low-functioning he would still tell me that.

I'm sorry, but that's just not true. If you were genuinely looking for the truth as to whether people on the spectrum can be "changed" then you need to be looking towards science.

Maybe but science doesn't say this:

Ephesians 6:12

12 For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this age, against spiritual hosts of wickedness in the heavenly places.

And with this saying I can be comforted because from my interpretation it states that we wrestle against rulers of darknesss and imo these rulers try to rule the mind and heart imo.

Even Science once said that our minds can not be moldable and if you look at it today they say it is like plastic. They call it neuroplasticity and imo it's a big thing.

My friend keeps telling me that I am normal.
One thing to consider though is that I can pass as NT pretty easily. But maybe even if I was low-functioning he would still tell me that.
Well, normal is just a question of relativity. I can pass for normal without effort when people meet me in the pub, because when I've had a few drinks my social anxieties are non-existent. My friends consider me "normal" too, because they've gotten so used to my quirks they consider them an integral part of my personality and they love me for who I am.

Note: my friends would never ever call me normal because I'm pretty strange, but so are they, so that's okay. To quote Hunter S Thompson:
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Last edited:
Even Science once said that our minds can not be moldable and if you look at it today they say it is like plastic. They call it neuroplasticity and imo it's a big thing.
Yes, neuroplasticity is a thing, but it mostly means the brain is able to recover from injury and adapt to new situations. While the brain can do this, your brain cannot totally transform into a new brain.

I have to take issue with this too. I'm not "not normal" just because I'm on the spectrum.

I understand, I am referring to what I feel that autism is and that it is different imo then the thinking of that in which is neurotypical. But I do not see anything wrong with a person embracing their non neurotypical mind. I need to figure this out.

You have to forgive me because i am not trying to step on any ones toes.

I understand, I am referring to what I feel that autism is and that it is different imo then the thinking of that in which is neurotypical. But I do not see anything wrong with a person embracing their non neurotypical mind. I need to figure this out.

You have to forgive me because i am not trying to step on any ones toes.

Your posts don't seem like you want to offend people at all.
My viewpoint is that you've got the brain you were born with, whether NT or aspie. You can try to deny it, fight it, wish for something better, or you can learn to work with it. Everyone comes with a manual, ours is just so obscure we can use help figuring out our own instructions as well.

Ok, that's enough platitudes out of me for now :D

Yeah I think it would be a miracle too

That is what I am going to try to do, and that is to surrender myself to the Lord and if that don't work, I think I am done searching for a cure and then I will have to admit that I was wrong pick myself up dust myself off and try something different.

Like Einstein said to do the same thing over and over again expected different results is the deffinition of insanity.

And with this saying I can be comforted because from my interpretation it states that we wrestle against rulers of darknesss and imo these rulers try to rule the mind and heart imo.

I can appreciate that you take comfort from the bible, and you are entitled to believe what you want to. I too do not wish to step on toes, but as you may have guessed, I am an atheist.

Science has said many things over the course of it's history. As we progress, we find that certain things may have been wrong, either in part or laughably so. With new technology comes the ability to discover new things. For me personally, science is the thing I have and always will be my "faith" in, because it deals in things that can be tested.

To quote Neil deGrasse Tyson:

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

Please let me be clear this is my opinion on such things.

Our brain structure comes from our DNA, and how that DNA was affected during our time in the womb. Much like our hair color or the amount of limbs we are born with. While we can dye our hair or get a prosthetic, we (the human race I mean) are not advanced enough to make real permanent changes. Someday, but not today. So I don't think autism (or any other brain based issue, like depression, addiction, Tourette's or lissencephaly) can be changed by thought or belief alone.

Now, that being said, what we do to help take care of our bodies and our mental health DOES make a difference. There are medications to help alleviate some of the symptoms of Tourette's, for example. Sensory integrative techniques can help reduce sensory overload. Special education services can help some severely brain damaged folk learn functional skills. And therapy helps some folks with depression learn how to deal with their issues.

So no, I don't think it's possible to 'transform'. That being said, I do think (with a lot of hard work and perseverance, maybe meds) it is possible to make changes that make you feel better about yourself.

One thing to consider is that no two people are made exactly the same. All people (including NTs) are somewhere along the neurological spectrum. Autism is a label for people found on one particular part of the spectrum. With that in consideration, there is nothing about us that needs to be healed. We are not disabled; we just have a rarer neurological makeup that the majority of people.

As of the passage of Romans, I have always thought about that Scripture in relation to our desires. After becoming a Christian, one has new internal desires that are in line with God's will. Our mental transformation is a transformation of the will. Instead of wanting worldly things, we want Godly things.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.”

This is open to interpretation is it a fact? If it is a fact, then why did the scientists back in the day look at a coral or a sponge from the ocean and put it into the same category as a plant? scientists are human and can make mistakes one opinion on what is a fact is another persons fiction.

I think the way science works is that it is about majority wins like the elections in the united states is democratic. But even thou majority wins, what about the people that might of been right in who would best suit the country as president, the minority. sometimes all it takes is one person to transform the mind.

I have adhd so forgive me if I am annoying and stubborn in my beliefs, I enjoy talking about religion, and science and hope to be convinced to one side or the other instead of being on the fence about things.

Want to know a very cool thing? It has to do with a sponge from the ocean, it is the only organism known to man to be split apart in the lab then the cells come back together by themselves to regenerate again into a full undamaged sponge. This a bet you did not know this imo is huge and is a secret from me to you.

Nasa to me to you. This is the beginning of knowledge, there are alot of near future medical miracles that will be brought to you from the recently researched organisms such as the coral.jelly fish and sponges.

Finally just now I am going to consider myself a Christian and get off that fence. Over 20 years of searching is enough and I can not go against anything in the bible. I hope that now that I made this decision that my bad habit's will leave too. This is the first time in my life that I can say that I am giving God an honest chance against the devil.

Last edited:
In the Bible it says in Romans 12:2, that the mind can be transformed. Does anyone not accept their autism like me and want to be changed?

Or is it best to accept autism, and embrace it, because it is who we are?
Renewing of the mind in the biblical sense refers to transformation of a value system based on malice, hatred, bitterness, envy, etc. to one that is more steeped in love. The thrust is to move to becoming a genuinely loving person. We certainly need more of those.

That has nothing to do with autism or any other mental or neurological state - or physical, psycho-emotional state for that matter. Autism is not a state of 'brokenness' brought on by abuse, struggle, suffering or negative life experiences.

So, one can certainly pray for change if autism brings misery, and it is possible that one can be changed through prayer, but I certainly do not believe it to be an abnormality in the traditional sense.

Personally, I would like to change the negative, but accept and embrace that I am different, just as an introvert is different from an extrovert. Both have positives as well as negatives, but it is unhealthy of society to be so keen to classify that which they do not understand as an 'illness' or abnormal. I ask again - what is 'normal'?

I also do not believe in 'positive thinking'.

To say "because it is who we are" would be the same as to say it defines us, or at least as an individual we have allowed it to do so.

I do not agree with this, rather I think it is simply an aspect of you, a detail about us, like the color of your hair.

It doesn't define us, but is another aspect that makes us unique. With that, I don't think it can be sooner changed than can any other aspect of our selves, we can hide it, but fundamentally we'll always be ourselves.

New Threads

Top Bottom