• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bypassing the Job Interview?

Catalyst

Mentally Unsound
V.I.P Member
So, I tried doing a search for an actual discussion about getting work, but I couldn't find one. Admittedly, I only went through four pages, so forgive me if this has been posted before.

I have a lot of trouble with job interviews. I've been through a Job Corp thing where they help you build a resume and practice interview questions. However, if something unexpected happens during an interview, I freeze up. I had a teacher who said he has never gotten a job by interview, but by referral.

So, I read in a book about autism that there are a few ways for Aspies, and even "classic" autistic people to find work. One way is to go to places that have jobs they can do and try to get small jobs or an apprenticeship in some places. The other, which actually appeals to me, is to network, or help someone with autism network, with a portfolio of work they've done.

I'm not sure where to network. Maybe at conferences or something. But I'm learning HTML and CSS, and possibly PHP, all over again to try and build a portfolio of web pages. Has anyone else bypassed the interview this way? Or are you kinda having a mini-interview every time you network, you think? Can good work really make employers overlook "oddities" you may have?

I'm not sure where to network. Maybe at conferences or something. But I'm learning HTML and CSS, and possibly PHP, all over again to try and build a portfolio of web pages. Has anyone else bypassed the interview this way? Or are you kinda having a mini-interview every time you network, you think? Can good work really make employers overlook "oddities" you may have?

Nope. Not technically, anyways.

However when that "killer" job opportunity arose, in my case it turned out to be anything but a traditional job interview. Where the person who interviewed and ultimately hired me was totally fixated on my portfolio website rather than me personally. As it should have been, IMO!

Though it helped that I was referred by someone already on the payroll who I attended the same tech school with. Though it still boiled down to my design skills based on my portfolio, which indeed turned out to do "most of the talking" in this case. At a major software entertainment developer in "Silicon Valley" many years ago. :cool:

I can't guarantee you may encounter the same scenario, but it's always possible. ;)

Last edited:
That's nice to hear! Most of the people who could refer me for a tech job work for Apple. I worked there once before (not sure how I passed the interview then) but had to quit for a while. I've gotten two interviews with Apple since then, once with Apple itself and once through a temp agency, and bombed both of them. Once was for talking out of turn, I'm pretty sure. (She actually brought it up, which is the only way I knew I did.)

That's nice to hear! Most of the people who could refer me for a tech job work for Apple. I worked there once before (not sure how I passed the interview then) but had to quit for a while. I've gotten two interviews with Apple since then, once with Apple itself and once through a temp agency, and bombed both of them. Once was for talking out of turn, I'm pretty sure. (She actually brought it up, which is the only way I knew I did.)

I also went through quite a traditional job interview for another web design job with Jelly Belly Candies in Fairfield. I didn't get the job, but was kindly told that out of some 40 qualified applicants who interviewed that I would have been the next choice to actually have been hired.

I have to admit, that was tough for me. A somewhat intimidating environment and work culture. They never even looked at my portfolio site. I too have real difficulty with much of any traditional job interview. :eek:

I also went through quite a traditional job interview for another web design job with Jelly Belly Candies in Fairfield. I didn't get the job, but was kindly told that out of some 40 qualified applicants who interviewed that I would have been the next choice to actually have been hired.

I have to admit, that was tough for me. A somewhat intimidating environment and work culture. They never even looked at my portfolio site. I too have real difficulty with much of any traditional job interview. :eek:

So, out of curiosity, did you go to school for web design? Or did you learn it yourself?

So, out of curiosity, did you go to school for web design? Or did you learn it yourself?

Both.

At the time in the late 90s to get a Silicon Valley level job you needed some validation of successfully passing a formal vocational program. This one took about nine months and cost me around $10,000. Though I had taught myself a lot of it long before entering tech school as just a hobby.

I have bypassed an interview twice, because I worked via a temp agency that had employed me before.
I know temp work doesn't provide a lot of stability, and isn't always exactly what you want, but the crappy temp jobs I worked did help build the CV (and the confidence) that got me my first real contract (a year with possible extension)

Both.

At the time in the late 90s to get a Silicon Valley level job you needed some validation of successfully passing a formal vocational program. This one took about nine months and cost me around $10,000. Though I had taught myself a lot of it long before entering tech school as just a hobby.

What's the icon for WOW! ?

What's the icon for WOW! ?

LOL...Thanks. Though I didn't see it anything quite so remarkable. Just a matter of putting effort- and a lot of money into an "investment"- me. Though the job only lasted a few years. The "dot-com crash" at the time and some corporate/shareholder BS put a lot of folks like myself out of work.

Still it was the best job I ever had. :)

Last edited:
Both.

$10,000 is a lot. Though, between learning graphic design and getting an AAS in computers (CompTIA A+ Certification and other Microsoft certifications as I pleased so long as I told the classes for them) I owe $60,000 in student loans.

A " practice " interview actually changed my life. I went and interviewed for an overseas job I knew I was overqualified for but thought it would be good practice in case a good overseas job opportunity came along.
The person who interviewed me was the head of a government department. She called me 2 months later and said that I was overqualified for the original staff position but would I like a job as deputy director of the department. Of course I said YES! See you never know........... And after that I got another overseas job and was able to follow my dream of working abroad.

New Threads

Top Bottom