• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Buying stuff on eBay from sellers with less than 100% positive feedback

Mr Allen

V.I.P Member
Would/Do you risk it?

I generally don't bother, if they don't have perfect feedback there's a chance I'll get messed about, but |I bought season 1 volume 1 of Thundercats the other day from a company with 98.8% positive.

I got an email this morning saying the DVD was dispatched, to be delivered by the end of next week.

So anyway, eBay sellers with less than perfect feedback, do you trust them? Also, would you sell to someone who doesn't have 100% positive?

Last edited:
Any ebay feedback that is slightly less than 100% percent, I look at their feed back for about 3 month's back and if the number has gone down, I place trust and that has not been broken. Because for the amount to go down, shows that they are paying attention and improving and to be fair, getting 100% is not instant!

I also work on how things go for me as a seller. I have had unfair feedbacks, which naturally put me below 100%.

And so, I look to see what people say, because, Rich, in fairness, people either take advantage or get angry and do not even contact the seller etc.

So, if I distrusted anyone with say: 97% then I have distrust myself lol. But right now, have 100%.

Trying to "crunch the numbers" is admirable. However it's pointless to put any serious emphasis on a 100% positive rating versus a 98.8% rating if in fact the number of persons contributing feedback is a relatively small number to begin with. (With consideration to probability theory and the law of large numbers.)

In essence if you really want to make an informed decision and optimize the value of your purchase, you must consider only those vendors who sell in fairly high numbers as opposed to fairly low ones. And also consider any apparent trends in the feedback profile that may develop between one and twelve months.

Granted, with eBay you have any number of vendors who are selling potentially unique items in relatively small amounts. In the case of DVDs, I generally stick to Amazon and high feedback numbers unless they don't have a particular title. Even then, you must also consider that customer feedback can be highly subjective, depending on the nature of the item purchased. And that any considerations of postal issues aren't necessarily the fault of the vendor.

And sometimes there just isn't any solid means to achieve an "informed purchase". Where all you can do is to "throw caution to the wind" and hope for the best. Especially if the item in question is relatively unique and not easy to find with more mainstream retailers. I've done that on occasion as well.

Generally in matters of business transactions I focus on contractual obligations far more than nebulous considerations of trust. Otherwise I probably wouldn't conduct any business transaction over the Internet on general principle.

- Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware)

Last edited:
There's also sellers who are just starting out on Ebay, if no-one ever gave them a chance they'd always have no feedback, but buying from them is a pure gamble unless you can get information about them elsewhere and there's also the chance they could be using a dupe account because of previous low feedback scores, this maybe against Ebay's terms, but it won't stop some people from doing it and they could easily just use another name to sign up with, E.g. another family member, friend or colleague. It's a personal preference whether to give them a chance or not, if I was to consider it I would look for a phone number for the seller if one was available and/or I'd see if they have a website with reputation elsewhere. I'd probably get my friend to call them to ask them about the product and see how reasonable they sound, because I'm not the best at using the phone to call strangers or to make a judgement on the person.

If a seller has sold a reasonable amount of items and they've got less than a 100% feedback, then as long as they've got over 95% I will look at the actual feedback itself to see why they haven't got 100% and if I'm buying a particular item that I'm not 100% familiar with I will especially look for feedback against that exact item if there is any, I will also look for the same item elsewhere on Ebay along with feedback scores as well as reviews on other sites if they're available, if not I'd be more reluctant because there's a fair amount of low quality unbranded items selling on Ebay. If the item is used then the sellers feedback is even more important because you're trusting them to give you an accurate description about the condition Etc. and used items don't come with the same warranty. Sometimes negative feedback isn't always the seller's fault or you can understand why, E.g. they could get negative feedback just because the item wasn't what a person personally wanted despite the description being good, even if they gave a full refund without any issues, or there maybe negative feedback for the very occasional faulty item, but if the seller replaced or refunded without any quibble I wouldn't be too concerned as long as it is only occasionally because this can happen to any seller. Also if a company sells many thousands of items they're bound to get the very occasional negative feedback and a very small percentage of buyers aren't reasonable and they might give negative feedback in unfair situations, so I also wouldn't be too concerned if their feedback score is 98% or more as long as the bad feedback isn't something that shows consistent bad customer service or it's mostly related to the particular item that you're considering buying.

Watch out for very inferior cheap and illegal counterfeit items because from experience Ebay really don't care even if you report receiving one. My friend received a counterfeit "Sony" memory card for his camcorder once that was abysmal and kept giving errors, it didn't have a proper hologram like the genuine one and the camcorder itself even warned that it wasn't a genuine Sony memory card every single time he attempted to use it, but Ebay still refused to ban the seller from continuing his illegal business and he continued selling them along with other dodgy memory cards, instead Ebay only told the seller to refund for the specific item despite my friend's protests after showing them hard evidence of his illegal activity, they even told my friend to return the illegal item to the dodgy seller so he could sell it on Ebay again and of course so my friend no longer had the evidence, this was utterly shocking and just goes to show how totally incompetent Ebay truly are. In fact Ebay staff were now aiding and abetting a criminal, so don't expect Ebay customer service to be any good if something does go wrong and the payment processor Paypal most definitely can't be trusted either, in fact they're so bad it's best not to use them, but if you have to never keep a significant balance, please click here if you wish to know why and read some of the shocking complaints, this is more significant if you wished to become a seller and even more so if you were in business.

I personally only deal with sellers from my country (in my case the UK) because it's easier to deal with if something goes wrong and the shipping times are much shorter, but watch out for sellers that have a local proxy postal address, but are really from other countries such as China, you can often tell by the long shipping time. Chinese sellers that offer free P&P are very common because the Chinese government is currently paying the cheapest postage costs for exported items as a perk to encourage international trade, I'm sure that many Chinese sellers are reputable, but I personally prefer to deal more locally and I don't trust any seller that tries to deceive people of their country of origin.

If I was selling then I would again look into the person's feedback in more detail and I wouldn't sell to anyone with any less than 95%. Again if they don't have a feedback score it's a pure gamble and there's unlikely to be any information about them elsewhere, so it's a personal preference whether to give them a chance of not. I suppose you could ask them to call you if you were comfortable in giving them your phone number to see how they sound over the phone if they decide to call, or better you could give them a mobile number you're not too bothered about sharing.

Last edited:
Yes. so long as it's not abysmally low then I will buy from sellers with less than 100%. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't do much shopping on eBay if I only chose sellers with 100%. Sometimes I will check recent feedback from other buyers. I have had issues with sellers on a couple of occasions, but in the long run it has been minimal and eBay have always rectified the issue very quickly.

Only time I ever had a problem was a few years ago when I sold the last of my WWE VHS videos, the buyer didn't receive the videos, they got lost in the post, not my fault Royal Mail are useless, I now send everything recorded delivery and pass the cost of that to the buyer.

In the end in this case I had to refund the £25 I'd been paid even though the missing items were not my fault.

Also, way back when I first started using eBay as a buyer, I paid by cheque because I couldn't get along with PayPal, and more than once the cheques went "walkies" in the post so I was forced to start using PayPal.

Would/Do you risk it?

I generally don't bother, if they don't have perfect feedback there's a chance I'll get messed about, but |I bought season 1 volume 1 of Thundercats the other day from a company with 98.8% positive.

I got an email this morning saying the DVD was dispatched, to be delivered by the end of next week.

So anyway, e\Bay sellers with less than perfect feedback, do you trust them? Also, would you sell to someone who doesn't have 100% positive?

You have to look at the entire seller profile. In the past I have bought items from sellers with less than 100% feedback and I have had no trouble whatsoever. A lot of feedback left is honestly mean-spirited and there are two sides to every story. Also, there are some folks that you just cannot please. You do your best and you still get dinged.

New Threads

Top Bottom