• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bibliotherapy

Ylva

V.I.P Member
Couldn't choose which forum to put this in, so just defaulting to this one.

I'm using books to treat my issues. It seems to be working, too; one third of the way through a book, and already feeling less pain regarding a situation.

Best bibliography (for adults) I've found yet: Tolstoy Therapy: Bibliotherapy Recommendations

There is a section on growing up there, but except for the last two which I haven't read, I can tell you that in my experience, the twelve books listed under it don't help much with maturity; unless the idea is to tell you what not to do.

I'm looking for more books, mainly some that have helped someone here. It seems logical that aspies will know what works for aspies, to a degree. It doesn't have to be novels, poetry or plays; many of us find solace in other kinds of patterns than behavioral ones.

It's been a few years since I've read it, but I quite enjoyed "Maestro" by Peter Goldsworthy. It has some interesting themes regarding character growth, and bettering yourself as a person (and student). The Maestro makes for an interesting character as well.

I'm using books to treat my issues. It seems to be working, too; one third of the way through a book, and already feeling less pain regarding a situation.

Best bibliography (for adults) I've found yet: Tolstoy Therapy: Bibliotherapy Recommendations

There is a section on growing up there, but except for the last two which I haven't read, I can tell you that in my experience, the twelve books listed under it don't help much with maturity; unless the idea is to tell you what not to do.

I'm looking for more books, mainly some that have helped someone here. It seems logical that aspies will know what works for aspies, to a degree. It doesn't have to be novels, poetry or plays; many of us find solace in other kinds of patterns than behavioral ones.
Oh, I think my therapist ... years ago, tried to do something like that. Unfortunately I didn't understand what she was trying to do, and might have taken it wrong way. I remember she was asking, "what do you think about the book" my response was, "I don't know", or "it was a little weird" it was hard for me to admit that I couldn't recall what I have read most of the time :) I honestly wanted to love reading, but it's always been so damn hard! :) but, to be fair, books that I could read did help :) Castaneda, Emerson and Jung were the biggest helpers between age 15 and 21 :) please don't ask me what books I read, I don't remember :D I remember though, that Emerson ' s book was dark green and it was about nature, the Jung ' s book was dark blue, I believe, and Castaneda books always had colorful illustrations on the cover :)

I read a lot of SARK, found one called the Declaration of You I am working through right now, I do a lot of art journaling, I also really like the book How to Stop People from Pushing your Buttons... I read a lot of religious thought too; but since it is unlikely we share the same religious beliefs I will just say 'find whatever moves you deeply', oh and read any book you loved as a very small child.

I'm re-reading Black Beauty by Anna Sewell. I always took a lot of comfort in it and other animal books. I guess since Beauty could sometimes find good owners who understood animals always gave me hope that I wouldn't always keep finding idgits that wanted to use me and lose me.

Oh, I think my therapist ... years ago, tried to do something like that. Unfortunately I didn't understand what she was trying to do, and might have taken it wrong way. I remember she was asking, "what do you think about the book" my response was, "I don't know", or "it was a little weird" it was hard for me to admit that I couldn't recall what I have read most of the time :) I honestly wanted to love reading, but it's always been so damn hard! :) but, to be fair, books that I could read did help :) Castaneda, Emerson and Jung were the biggest helpers between age 15 and 21 :) please don't ask me what books I read, I don't remember :D I remember though, that Emerson ' s book was dark green and it was about nature, the Jung ' s book was dark blue, I believe, and Castaneda books always had colorful illustrations on the cover :)

walden

Thank you all so much for the recommendations! :D

I have lots of reading material to look forward to now. :relaxed:

Born on a blue day, Daniel Tammet

I used to recommend this book to the older ones of my Aspie pupils. It's an autobiography of a savant. I found it uplifting and very relatable.

Really nice thread btw, lot of interesting reading ideas.

New Threads

Top Bottom