• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being too purposeful

Ban

Once I have decided to do something (for example make a coffee) I leap out of my chair get to the kitchen, get it made and get back in my chair. However in public I would notice myself putting in a lot of effort into slowing the process down so it doesn't look weird. I would maybe slowly stand up, look around as though I haven't decided why I'm up yet, kind of wonder in the vague direction of the kitchen and then almost pretend to stumble across the kettle by accident.

Obviously this is some sort of masking but I don't know what it is I'm trying to hide, sometimes people do see me doing things purposefully and say "calm down" which I never fully understand.

Presumably everyone knows what they want to do so do most people just know that it looks more "cool" to not do things too quickly and naturally slow themselves down?

Last edited:
I have the same "issue". I have been called out many times for moving too fast in my actions. The first time I realized it was in high school when a teacher called on my name and I supposedly jerked my head too fast in his direction to respond, and he told me to "slow down before I get whiplash" which was embarrassing as the whole class laughed.

Since then I'll get called out here or there for not doing things slowly or just waiting. It's hard not to though. If someone needs me yo do something, I'm on it that second. Just by impulse. I used to think it was because of how I was raised.. to do my work quickly but my quick jerk reactions are probably not what was expected.

I do become impulsive without much time thinking and I find it difficult to wait. If I’m given something that is needed doing, I’m often one of the firsts to do and complete it.

I relate to this. I my case I think my slyness is due to ptsd. Growing up my mother liked to be in control. If you wanted to do anything she might ask you where you were going, what are you going to do etc. Then my brother would use that answer to bully me with it in some stupid way.
It's like everything I did was weird, warped, entertainment.

When I was just dating my husband, the first time I showered when he was in the house almost ended our relationship. I don't think he even know how close it was. I had left the living room to take a shower and when I came back he said "All clean?"
WTF is that? So I said, "Cleanliness IS the point of a shower". My tone must have conveyed the depth of my annoyance because he never did it again!

I've also been told I move too fast, but that's because I'm hopped up on Adderall.

Perhaps you've identified, consciously or not, that it's unusual to move so quickly, and your goal is to avoid standing out so you imitate what you believe is normal behavior in order to blend in.

It's perfectly normal to not want to stand out, but standing out for going too quickly would not necessarily be a negative thing. It could just be a "wow" thing and people would likely ignore it and if not, they may be entertained by it.

I imagine the farthest it could go would be a comment, "Wow, you're a quick one!" /endscene

I have the same "issue". I have been called out many times for moving too fast in my actions. The first time I realized it was in high school when a teacher called on my name and I supposedly jerked my head too fast in his direction to respond, and he told me to "slow down before I get whiplash" which was embarrassing as the whole class laughed.

Since then I'll get called out here or there for not doing things slowly or just waiting. It's hard not to though. If someone needs me yo do something, I'm on it that second. Just by impulse. I used to think it was because of how I was raised.. to do my work quickly but my quick jerk reactions are probably not what was expected.

I do become impulsive without much time thinking and I find it difficult to wait. If I’m given something that is needed doing, I’m often one of the firsts to do and complete it.
This is exactly it, sometimes someone will ask me to do something and then I'm instantly full steam ahead going all out to get it done and then there like "whoa chill, there's no rush". Its so embarrassing.
I relate to this. I my case I think my slyness is due to ptsd. Growing up my mother liked to be in control. If you wanted to do anything she might ask you where you were going, what are you going to do etc. Then my brother would use that answer to bully me with it in some stupid way.
It's like everything I did was weird, warped, entertainment.

When I was just dating my husband, the first time I showered when he was in the house almost ended our relationship. I don't think he even know how close it was. I had left the living room to take a shower and when I came back he said "All clean?"
WTF is that? So I said, "Cleanliness IS the point of a shower". My tone must have conveyed the depth of my annoyance because he never did it again!
I also had a mother like that, mine wasn't so much asking for entertainment as just to be in control though. I do notice other people have been entertained by my actions though.
I know what you mean about the shower comment, I wouldn't like that other, I think the purpose of the comment is just a meaningless thing to say. Kind of like if someone finished eating you might say, was that good? So pointless though and what are you supposed to respond to something that!?

This is exactly it, sometimes someone will ask me to do something and then I'm instantly full steam ahead going all out to get it done and then there like "whoa chill, there's no rush". Its so embarrassing.
Yeah, I get that. Its also embarrassing when they call it out and make you an example. I don't want to be called out!

New Threads

Top Bottom