• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Being told you’re “special”

How about anomalous...?
"Exceptional" is good, too (if it applies)...
full

It can come across as being very patronizing. A couple of people have told me that I'm "special" and my imediate reaction is, "Why? Please explain." and: "No, I'm not." and "What does that even mean?"

I’ve heard this term being thrown around by ppl that are neurotypical/not on the autism spectrum. What are your thoughts on this statement?
I was told, growing up, how grateful I should be and what a 'miracle baby' I was due to my premature birth and many complications. Unfortunately (fortunately?) my 'gift' didn't start showing until I was in my teens, far from the age where I could've been 'a musical prodigy' but maybe that's a good thing, because then my mom might've become one of those Facebook vlogging moms.

I was told, growing up, how grateful I should be and what a 'miracle baby' I was due to my premature birth and many complications. Unfortunately (fortunately?) my 'gift' didn't start showing until I was in my teens, far from the age where I could've been 'a musical prodigy' but maybe that's a good thing, because then my mom might've become one of those Facebook vlogging moms.
this is the plot line to every single Dhar Mann video on the subject of people that have disabilities/something that makes them stand out.

Try accepting it at face value, it's a lot of fun: "well thanks, I guess I am, thanks for noticing". Guarantee you'll get a "but I guess we all are" as follow up.

I had a premature birth as well!! I'm skilled on keyboard and singing.

I had a premature birth as well!! I'm skilled on keyboard and singing.
my best friend was also born in similar circumstances (she was born two months early and almost passed away when she was a few months old). Without going into too much detail, she fought mental illness a lot in her life as a teenager. She is doing well today and the two of us have been friends for a year.

I was born two weeks early (not premature, didn’t suffer any complications aside from being very tiny (five pounds at birth). I highly suspect I have autism due to genetics (I have a now teenage cousin that’s on the autism spectrum as well, but he requires more support than I do)

Sorry not a musician took me a minute to realize keyboard meant organ or piano not computer that's how being an Aspie makes me different.

my best friend was also born in similar circumstances (she was born two months early and almost passed away when she was a few months old). Without going into too much detail, she fought mental illness a lot in her life as a teenager. She is doing well today and the two of us have been friends for a year.

I was born two weeks early (not premature, didn’t suffer any complications aside from being very tiny (five pounds at birth). I highly suspect I have autism due to genetics (I have a now teenage cousin that’s on the autism spectrum as well, but he requires more support than I do)
I was supposed to be born in August but born in June, and my Mum and I might've died while she gave birth to me because of a problem she had. It's very lucky that I'm here today :) I'm glad to learn more about you ^^

This makes me think about the contradictions I and probably others hear so much growing up, and they happen based on if someone is angry or pleased with you. One minute you hear how special and unique you are and that you don't have to be like anyone else...and then later on you might hear how you need to fit in more, be more outgoing, make more effort to make friends, etc. I definitely catch people and point out their contradictions a lot. They hate it usually.

New Threads

Top Bottom