• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Bad Brain Day

Can't Talk - License, download or print for £12.40 | Photos | Picfair

I had a really scary bad brain moment many years ago. I had moved interstate a few times and I had been living in Melbourne for about 6 months. One afternoon I knocked off work and jumped in the car and started driving home.

My brain went blank. All of a sudden I couldn't remember what city I was in or where I was going or even why I was there in the first place. Could not remember at all. I was stopped at a red light, I was in the right hand lane and I had my right hand indicator on. That was the only thing I knew about myself.

So I turned right on to a major thoroughfare and just kept driving waiting for something to trigger a memory.

It took about 20 minutes in heavy afternoon traffic but eventually I found myself on the Westgate Bridge. That was a recognisable landmark and then my memory came back. It was a very scary drive up until then.

Dalisalvador-dali-elephant.jpg
Feel like all of Dali's pictures. But this makes me think of masking. The elephant is clearly something that he/she isn't. The artist is such a genius.

Last edited:

Really bad days, no caffeine, no patience, bad bad brain days. Thank you Dali.

Attachments

• OIP (1).jpeg
    OIP (1).jpeg
    31.4 KB · Views: 39
  • OIP.jpeg
    OIP.jpeg
    68.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
My brain wouldn't cooperate with me today. You ever get that surreal "glitch in the matrix" feeling? I had spent about an hour trying to get the active tone circuit working in my guitar. Each time I connected it, nothing, nada, no dice, go fish. There's a switch that disengages the circuit, so I flip that and the guitar makes sound in passive mode. So that means everything is wired properly.

The active circuit is almost an exact duplicate of the one in my other guitar. So I think "ok let's test it in that guitar, shame to remove it after it's been there for 30 odd years, but at least I will rule out this circuit."

So carefully I swapped it in, one wire at a time. And...it worked perfectly. So far so good. I wire up the factory made circuit to my DIY guitar. Nothing again!

Now I'm getting a bit irritated. I check every connection, tone it out with a multi meter. Everything checks out. Okay, try again. Nothing. Double check all connections against the schematic and cross reference to the factory made guitar. All good.

So now I'm thinking, perhaps the pickups are wired weird and effectively grounding out the active tone circuit. I give in, start desoldering the pickups, and just twist the wires together just as they had been soldered. And...It works! Awesome, okay, solder everything back together, plug in the lead, attached the 9v battery. And...nothing.

Repeat the same thing again, desolder, twist wires together. It works. Solder the twisted wires. It stops working.

Completely baffling! I sat there looking at the wiring completely at a loss hoping my brain would come up with some theory on what was going wrong, but it just went blank, I felt like I was going mad. I give up, decide that there must be some issue with the wires I've used. I replace everything. And...nothing...not a peep. I desolder, twist wires together, it works, solder wires, it stops working.

Each time I did this I had been careful to unplug the guitar cable and battery just in case an earth loop via the soldering iron fried the chip on the active circuit. So this time, although a little risky, I twisted the wires together, it worked, kept the connection to the amplifier, soldered whilst it was making some awful buzzing noises. And...it works! Totally fine!

I'm sure there is some rational reason for this, but I can't think of one. It just didn't make any sense, how can soldering wires together cause a loss of connection? But everything simultaneously is confirmed connected with a multi meter. This is the most utterly strange thing to happen to me in a long time. It was like the laws of physics had gone screwy.

My brain wouldn't cooperate with me today. You ever get that surreal "glitch in the matrix" feeling? I had spent about an hour trying to get the active tone circuit working in my guitar. Each time I connected it, nothing, nada, no dice, go fish. There's a switch that disengages the circuit, so I flip that and the guitar makes sound in passive mode. So that means everything is wired properly.

The active circuit is almost an exact duplicate of the one in my other guitar. So I think "ok let's test it in that guitar, shame to remove it after it's been there for 30 odd years, but at least I will rule out this circuit."

So carefully I swapped it in, one wire at a time. And...it worked perfectly. So far so good. I wire up the factory made circuit to my DIY guitar. Nothing again!

Now I'm getting a bit irritated. I check every connection, tone it out with a multi meter. Everything checks out. Okay, try again. Nothing. Double check all connections against the schematic and cross reference to the factory made guitar. All good.

So now I'm thinking, perhaps the pickups are wired weird and effectively grounding out the active tone circuit. I give in, start desoldering the pickups, and just twist the wires together just as they had been soldered. And...It works! Awesome, okay, solder everything back together, plug in the lead, attached the 9v battery. And...nothing.

Repeat the same thing again, desolder, twist wires together. It works. Solder the twisted wires. It stops working.

Completely baffling! I sat there looking at the wiring completely at a loss hoping my brain would come up with some theory on what was going wrong, but it just went blank, I felt like I was going mad. I give up, decide that there must be some issue with the wires I've used. I replace everything. And...nothing...not a peep. I desolder, twist wires together, it works, solder wires, it stops working.

Each time I did this I had been careful to unplug the guitar cable and battery just in case an earth loop via the soldering iron fried the chip on the active circuit. So this time, although a little risky, I twisted the wires together, it worked, kept the connection to the amplifier, soldered whilst it was making some awful buzzing noises. And...it works! Totally fine!

I'm sure there is some rational reason for this, but I can't think of one. It just didn't make any sense, how can soldering wires together cause a loss of connection? But everything simultaneously is confirmed connected with a multi meter. This is the most utterly strange thing to happen to me in a long time. It was like the laws of physics had gone screwy.
:imp:

Perseverance pays off despite the uncooperative brain!
True! :) I'm probably never going to be able to explain it, but at one point I honestly felt like there was some sort of bug with reality. As soon as I made the circuit physically part of the guitar it just wouldn't work lol!

It was almost like in a video game where you have to place an object somewhere to trigger something, but there's a glitch and no matter how many times you place the object where it's supposed to go, the cut scene or whatever never happens until you reboot! :smilecat:

When you ruminate as in a brain loop of negativity, but l am changing that thinking. But sometimes l don't flip out of it, so then l run or do cardio, because then exercise is great resetting my inner dialog. I now have mastered resetting without the cardio. Now if having a mini meltdown, l now aknowledge it, and give myself a compliment for powering thru it, and not engaging in destructive thoughts or behavior because we do meltdown, including NT. Perhaps NT are just better hiding this fact.

Last edited:
When I was a kid an old bloke up the end of my street was putting some shelving up in his shed, and he dropped the drill. He managed to catch it again just as the drill bit went into his skull. He very carefully undid the drill chuck and put the drill away then drove himself to hospital.

He said when he got there he couldn't understand why they were all making such a fuss about it and in the end he got impatient with them and told them that if they faff around for much longer he'd have a go at pulling it out himself.

When I was a kid an old bloke up the end of my street was putting some shelving up in his shed, and he dropped the drill. He managed to catch it again just as the drill bit went into his skull. He very carefully undid the drill chuck and put the drill away then drove himself to hospital.

He said when he got there he couldn't understand why they were all making such a fuss about it and in the end he got impatient with them and told them that if they faff around for much longer he'd have a go at pulling it out himself.
@Outdated, when can we expect the written anthology of all of your wild and wacky stories you have collected through life? I’m sure it would be a best seller

New Threads

Top Bottom