• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Back from South Africa

Catherine Read

So for the last month and a bit I've been volunteering in South Africa on a wildlife reserve I've visited a few times before. Thought I'd share some of my shots from while I was there, most are from the reserve I stayed at and a few from a neighbouring national park we visited on some of our days off :)

First up is Waterbuck
52754834347_35ed5c56da.jpg

Giraffe
52722933936_95eddf0a58.jpg

Impala
52722934151_147d959b06.jpg

Kudu
52754833712_8c8a39e089.jpg

White Rhino
52755860773_e939562510.jpg

Elephant
52754623931_73dd8d01dc.jpg

Tsessebe
52755111773_2f85f7ee1b.jpg

Cape Buffalo
52755029710_c2268350dc.jpg

Warthog
52754624751_2ef7d738d8.jpg

Sable
52754624331_32e7b0b2bc.jpg

Eland
52755031635_c69b82aa81.jpg

Zebra
52754085197_2497b7176c.jpg

Wildebeest
52756462240_00975fdd67.jpg

Gemsbok
52755523262_d6a29a7d08.jpg

Chacma Baboon
52755113438_7046f06534.jpg

52756331334_f288078988.jpg

52755113193_9f06d183d4.jpg

52754085117_44c8a0e3d1.jpg

52754084187_db994dd7a7.jpg

52755028840_ab97926aab.jpg

Glad you are back and those photos are worthy of the National Geographic or a book of animals. You did an excellent job with that--surely there are some stories with all this.

Oh I remember you mentioned it is your favorite place, so many interesting animals! Nice pics.

That guy in the picture with the dogs, is he still alive, or..? :)

Last edited:
Very nice captures!
Thank you :)
Glad you are back and those photos are worthy of the National Geographic or a book of animals. You did an excellent job with that--surely there are some stories with all this.
Thanks :blush: There might be a few stories to tell here and there, like how that spider builds the biggest webs and I'd had the misfortune of walking into one!

This is one I snapped on my phone, they'd sometimes build their webs across the roads at night
52756617863_e9b9f1fc65.jpg

Oh I remember you mentioned it is your favorite place, so many interesting animals! Nice pics.

That guy in the picture with the dogs, is he still alive, or..? :)

Haha, yeah just about. Shiela on the left is a smart girl and usually looks for the weak spots on the bite sleeves

These are fantastic! I particular like the Gemsbok, and the Zebra mother with her youngling, and that spider web. You have a very good eye! Thank you for sharing!

Wow! You have a real talent! And such beautiful animals.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful gift with us. Have you ever submitted any of your work to a wildlife magazine? If not, you probably should.

And I love the photos of the dogs the most, of course! I have done Schutzhund training with dogs so I find it really interesting when other people share their experiences with protection work.

There's no point in me denying it - sheer unadulterated envy. It looks like you had a fantastic time.

I'm just curious, how much does a month in south Africa cost? To live there for a month. If you don't mind me asking.

These are honestly amazing photos. They look so good and professional. Have you taken photography classes?
I've not taken any classes, all self-taught :)

These are fantastic! I particular like the Gemsbok, and the Zebra mother with her youngling, and that spider web. You have a very good eye! Thank you for sharing!

Thank you

Wow! You have a real talent! And such beautiful animals.
Thank you for sharing your beautiful gift with us. Have you ever submitted any of your work to a wildlife magazine? If not, you probably should.

And I love the photos of the dogs the most, of course! I have done Schutzhund training with dogs so I find it really interesting when other people share their experiences with protection work.

I've not tried to get any of my photos published, largely because I don't know how lol.

I loved the days we got to work with the dogs and puppies. Two of the current Anti-poaching dog team are only a few years from retirement so the puppies are being trained up to replace them. The older dogs will still stay with their handlers though as they're inseparable.

There's no point in me denying it - sheer unadulterated envy. It looks like you had a fantastic time.

I did indeed :blush:

I get a little solemn being allowed to see the biodiversity that was once present in all regions. I hope africa cares enough about what they have left.

South Africa actually has some of the best preserved biodiversity in the world. I think it was prior to the 1940’s, animals were seen more as pests by the white colonisers, but post 1940’s saw the era of conservation and species numbers have grown vastly since.

A lot of conservation is done by private land owners as animals are seen to have value, some choosing to use their land for wildlife reserves rather than cattle farming, benefiting both environment and species. However, unfortunately many are giving up on keeping White Rhino as they’re incredibly expensive and dangerous to keep safe with poaching being such an issue.

Rhino are the passion of the reserve I stayed at but sadly the public at large don’t seem to have much interest in supporting Rhino charities and the preservation of this wonderful species. At current rates of decline they may only have a decade or so left and the laws banning the sale of Rhino horn is actually hampering the conservation efforts of the people on the front line and drawing targets on their backs as they have to dehorn and then store the horn away at great expense with money they don’t have. I’m hoping to go back next June to help with the de-horning.

The Rhino in the middle is Jodi, and her daughter, Hope is on the left. Named as she was the first rhino born after a devastating poaching incident, which took a Rhino named Raine and her young daughter in 2020.

52755031075_b460f96e63.jpg

This is the lady that runs the reserve, the people there are truly passionate about what they do :)

I'm just curious, how much does a month in south Africa cost? To live there for a month. If you don't mind me asking.

On the 2023 price list a 4 week stay is £1,350 which includes all food, weekly excursions on days off, transport and accommodation, but flights are paid separately.

On the 2023 price list a 4 week stay is £1,350 which includes all food, weekly excursions on days off, transport and accommodation, but flights are paid separately.

Wow, just 1350 pounds for a month including all those things. That's far less than I expected. Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Love your work, what sort of cam do you have!!
I just love rainforest of Madagascar it's home to periwinkle the so called cure for cancer!! And was first official nature reserve, is however seperate from history of South Africa and dutch, but I love country. I also love Tanzania and the Tanzanite preservation. Again big hugs to our ancestors for protecting the planet, we would never have beauty if they joined greed of others.

Love your work, what sort of cam do you have!!
I just love rainforest of Madagascar it's home to periwinkle the so called cure for cancer!! And was first official nature reserve, is however seperate from history of South Africa and dutch, but I love country. I also love Tanzania and the Tanzanite preservation. Again big hugs to our ancestors for protecting the planet, we would never have beauty if they joined greed of others.
I have a Canon 5D Mk IV and usually use a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 lens with 2x Extender.

I've heard Tanzania is beautiful and would love to visit one day.

New Threads

Top Bottom