• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

awkward social media "connections"

paloftoon

V.I.P Member
I have an ex-date, also on the spectrum (ironically), who has kept me connected to him through social media for months. He basically broke it off with me, and I am completely at fault for the situation to have occurred.

For months, I dug into my own personality, and many factors that affected me. I have discovered a lot about myself and have (a) new awareness(es) that I didn't have before.

The whole connection thing bothered me, but I didn't want to delete the connections because I am minutely hoping. It almost feels like there's still a minute interest for him to keep me on for so long, but that the trust I broke was so strong that the damage is still unrepairable. I already apologized, it was accepted, and then I messed up after that basically.

I ended up writing a closure e-mail and sending it out sooner than I normally planned. I was glad I didn't rush since a certain type of authenticity would not have come out and it would've been way too cold. It turned out to be an e-mail which was completely positive and even offered him an opportunity to apply for a commensurate full time job.

I have not received a response nor expect to receive one. I shared the e-mail with some of my friends who told me not to send anything. When they saw it, they changed their minds about the whole thing and said I did the right thing for me, and in the right manner. I didn't feel they were just saying that.

No response has been received, nor do I expect one. It almost seems bad not to respond at all, but I see the hurt is so great and unbearable for him.

Honestly, I wanted to put more in that e-mail. Like "everything", but then "everything" would not be read and possibly quite misconstrued. The kind of stuff where apparently you only say it if you can talk with other(s) in-person. I remember seeing some threads where most people were saying e-mail and text are the "best forms of communication in the world." But like anything, there's a time and place one could be better than the other, better combined, and context need to be taken into consideration greatly.

All I can do is look around and let that situation "linger" it seems. Thoughts?

A sign of growth: "If one knows he or she is responsible, maybe after a bit of time, it's best to fess up 1-1 and focus on meaningful positivity for the other individual. Save details (whys, what could change with one, attempts for resolution) for in-person if given the opportunity."

New Threads

Top Bottom