• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

"Autistic Kids Have Poorer Sleep Quality Than Their Peers Into Teens"

wyverary

V.I.P Member
From Science Daily:

From the age of 30 months onwards, children with autistic spectrum disorders were significantly more likely to wake three or more times a night than their typical peers, a difference that became even more noticeable the older the children became.
By the time the children were 81 months old, more than one in 10 of those with autistic spectrum disorders were waking three or more times a night compared with just 0.5% of their peers.

Thoughts? Anecdotes?

The sample sizes seem odd, perhaps on the very lowest end of "acceptable" - 39 autistic children compared with 7000 "neurotypical" children.

I thought it was the PTSD for me. Might have been happening for longer, though – I have trouble accessing new memories from early childhood.

The sample size is questionable indeed. I think for any research to be viable, I think that there has to be an established ratio. And since the numbers vary from 1 in 50 to 1 in 88 on the spectrum in the US, I'd expect that out of about 7000 that should be what? At least 500 autistic children as a sample group. But I guess it's hard if you're limited to a lot of factors including age and willingness to participate (amongst other factors). It's still nice they want to do this research, but with such small sample groups it might just as well be a skewered result. I mean, it's like asking 2 people something get 1 positive and stating "50 percent says yes".

The article however said there was a bigger initial group. Not by a lot though, but about double it's size at least.

It's interesting to read they think it might be an issue related to melatonin and that perhaps melatonin causes in essence, these neurological problems, since sleep is often said to be the period where brains develop and "sort themselves out". Neurological impairment with the inability to "restructure" sounds like a viable theory. But I'm as with all research I'm always wondering if this is the only factor that comes in. There's plenty of reasons why anyone (including children) sleep bad.

With more stress etc. from extra sensory overload, think about it, should we focus more on resting our bodies in our unique ways, or should we still focus on our sensory issues?

My two brothers fell asleep before me. I was still in my crib**and they'd be sleeping. I'd be wide awake...total bummer.

**my parents couldn't afford a bed for me so I slept in a crib for years...

And in other news: Scientists find breathing air linked to staying alive! Tune in next week, when we discuss a groundbreaking study that seeks to link floods to the presence of water!

While the sample size for this experiment is questionable, I can agree that the sleep problems are very much real. I know that, because I've both experienced it and I've also been told that our dad often had to stand in the doorway to make sure that I feel asleep.

This doesn't surprise me. I've struggled with waking up too early in the morning for years. It's gotten better recently, though, but I suspect that it's because we've moved into a house with a second floor, so my room is up there instead of on the main floor, and it's quieter. Also I can control my room's temperature. I have to be warm to sleep.

I've actually never had a problem with sleep. I guess I'm in a minority in the Aspie world in this regard. I have an odd sleeping position, and I need to hold blankets to fall asleep (baby blankies with a silky material on the outside. Best feeling ever). But it works.

I've always had issues with falling asleep and staying asleep. Melatonin and other things of the sort never helped much. It doesn't surprise me. I sleepwalk, though...don't know if that's relevant.

I know that I would argue with my parents that sleeping was a 'waste of time' and I had things to do (reading, focusing on my interests, etc.) and even when I'd eventually keel over (5-6 year olds are like that :p) sleep wasn't easy. I'd be awake within 4-6 hours and would wake up often in the night before turning over and falling back asleep.

By eight I was using cold medicine to get some sort of sleep. Diagnosed with a circadian rhythm disorder (my body if it says sleep does so at 2 AM-3 AM) plus insomnia (both falling and staying asleep.) And all the issues that came up during my adolescence into my early 20s, even now, have not helped.

Kids with autism have a hard time converting vitamin b6 intro it's active form pyroxidine 8 phosphate which is required for turning ammio acids into certain neurotransmitter such as Serotonin wich is then turned into melatonin as well as GABA, histamine, dopamine, wich are involved in sleep and helping shut off the Brian for the night in addition to filtering out repeative stimuli and turning off worries before bed. Taking a b6 in active form can help with some of those symptoms should consult a doctor first excess b6 can cause problems.

Wow... I *just now* realized that, after opening the thread, I have not yet commented on it!

I have always had very strange sleep problems, my whole life. As a child I had a great deal of difficulty falling asleep...I used to wander into the living room at 10 at night when my parents were watching telly, or into their room (a couple of times, I realize now, interrupting them during the act of love). This got worse during my teens when that pesky hormone development inclines a young'un to sleep way longer than should be allowed...I had a lot of trouble getting up in the morning, and more often than not I would be able to stumble out of bed twenty minutes before it was time to leave (I learned to take speedy showers, lemme tell ya!).

Certain environmental factors have made it worse over the years, as well. When I was in northwest Michigan (not the UP, though) I had a lot of trouble forcing myself awake in time for class...I know now that seasonal affective disorder played a major role in that.

Currently, I have serious insomnia issues. I cannot sleep...despite every effort I might make that people have taught me over the years, relaxation techniques, meditation, etc...I cannot sleep without the aid of a hefty dose of a powerful antipsychotic. I still wake up during the night every couple of hours, but I am thankful that I am able to get what sleep I do. This, I doubt is related to my autistic traits, and more purely neurological (I have other issues on that front as well).

Long story short--sleep is something i have learned to value and cherish.

I really sympathize Wyv. I am also on a bunch of medications so that I can sleep, and I still wake up every two or three hours. It's exhausting!

:exhausted:

I've had, for a long time, this thing where I wake up at something like 2 AM needing something to drink. (I'll tell you the story of my 10th birthday sometime. It's totally wacky.) Only now, it's expanded to multiple times per night for varying reasons.

I started to have to take nighttime sinus medication to get sleep a couple of years ago. (If you're Canadian and need one brand, go with Life brand. It's amazing. :sleep:)

From Science Daily:

From the age of 30 months onwards, children with autistic spectrum disorders were significantly more likely to wake three or more times a night than their typical peers, a difference that became even more noticeable the older the children became.
By the time the children were 81 months old, more than one in 10 of those with autistic spectrum disorders were waking three or more times a night compared with just 0.5% of their peers.

Thoughts? Anecdotes?

The sample sizes seem odd, perhaps on the very lowest end of "acceptable" - 39 autistic children compared with 7000 "neurotypical" children.
I often awakened at night as a child and sought comfort in my parents' bed. By young adulthood, the dark circles under my eyes were a permanent feature.

New Threads

Top Bottom