• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic “bluntness”

I have never been blunt. Growing up, my dad was the blunt one and seeing how he was treated bc of it i swore to be as nt- like as possible.

Now i am trying to find a balance between being outspoken and too quiet

I’m usually not blunt, but I can really be occasionally if I’m calling something out. It’s usually so uncharacteristic of me I’ve made people laugh/have a “Did that really come from Kitsuna?” reaction before.

I must be honest, but leaving some information out, when it will be used against me, is something I'm still learning.
I was 5 when my mum told me "Never lie to me coz I'll know if you do" and of course, being the precocious kid I was (and still feel like) I had to test that, to see if it was true, so I deliberately lied about a sports carnival I'd been in, telling mum I won a ribbon in the sack race, instead of the relay race I actually got the ribbon for, and she didn't pick up on the lie, so I concluded that I could lie to her and she wouldn't know, but, the problem was, I didn't like how the lie felt, so I decided lying wasn't for me.

Funny thing I found this thread tonight because I was both blunt without realizing and rambling without getting to the point in the span of about an hour.

I asked my brother if he was drinking tonight. He said yes and when asking why, I mentioned that I didn't want to be around him drunk, straight up with those words. I wasn't trying to be an ass and I was basically being blunt and honest, but I was told by my dad that I sounded pretty mean there. I didn't see it myself, but thankfully my brother didn't see it as an insult either and all was good.

While having a conversation with my dad I was also doing the "pussyfooting" thing described in the OP. I danced around ideas in conversations without getting to the point, pretty much unknowingly.

In short, I like to be blunt at times, but sometimes I do it unintentionally. And I definitely do that thing in conversation where I dance around details and not the full subject.

Anyone find it hard to be abrupt or direct? Whenever I'm asked something, I start a reply with "well usually..." even if I always do it. Or I say "maybe" even if the answer is yes.

New Threads

Top Bottom