• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autistic “bluntness”

Kalinychta

V.I.P Member
Autistic people are considered to be very blunt and forthright, no nonsense and all that. But the autistic people I’ve met (including most on this forum) are not blunt, not at all, not in the least. We seem to be equally prone to pussyfooting around all of the same things so-called “NTs” do and politely discussing whatever—and never actually getting to the point, not in any meaningful way.

It’s one of the most surprising things about autistic people I’ve experienced since being diagnosed. I have such a difficult time not telling it the way I see it—and of course sometimes I’m wrong, sometimes spectacularly wrong (as are we all), but still, I can’t not sugar-coat things.

Do you consider yourself to be blunt? And why, or why not? Is bluntness actually an autistic thing, or is it just a thing that some humans (autistic or “NT”) possess?

Last edited:
I'm not blunt often. Online I find it easier to be more honest or direct than offline, which probably means I don't naturally possess that autistic bluntness. I'm a people-pleaser and offending people is one of my pet peeves and fears, because I can really feel their feelings (and yet some Aspies claim I lack empathy :rolleyes: ).

Often offline I find lying easier than being blunt, although that doesn't make me a compulsive liar. I am an honest person in general, as in being loyal, but to save someone's feelings or to avoid trouble or an awkward situation, I can lie.

Do you consider yourself to be blunt?
Yes, but it's not that I don't know what is polite and what is rude. I don't have the patience to make waffle. I'm a choleric, type A personality, you name it. I'd rather get things done than tiptoe all day around the subject.

Yes, but it's not that I don't know what is polite and what is rude. I don't have the patience to make waffle. I'm a choleric, type A personality, you name it. I'd rather get things done than tiptoe all day around the subject.
That’s absolutely true: there’s a difference between being blunt and being rude. No question about that at all.

Even as a child I didn't have the autism bluntness. For example, when other children (mostly younger children) would show me their drawings, I'd politely say "oh that's a lovely drawing", even if it was just scribbles.

I used to be blunt as a child/teen. But I got in trouble so many times for being blunt that I just resorted to sugar coating everything to keep people happy.

Or to put it another way, I used to be honest as a child and teen. But I got in trouble so many times for being honest that I just resorted to masking to keep myself safe.

Maybe a division of bluntness. If it's personal boundaries, l am in your face telling it like it is. If it's employment or l need to get something accomplished like car repair, l can mask diplomacy.

Do you consider yourself to be blunt? And why, or why not?

No I don't. Because I used to be very blunt when I was between the age of 5 and 20 and it did not go well for me. It didn't get me many friends or lots of smiles from people. I started noticing that too often when I opened my mouth, it did not end well. I didn't want to be rude or annyoing, so over time I learned to restrain myself a little and be less blunt. If accidentally insulting people had been an olympic event back then, I would have won soo many gold medals.

Yes, I'm blunt sometimes. Maybe, as usual, defining bluntness would help clarify your question. I don't agree with you -- I think that many of us in this forum are blunt, as in "abrupt and often disconcertingly frank in speech." Or "stark, unadorned."

We can't interrupt each other in a forum and you can't tell my tone of voice, which is a big part of bluntness. Imagine what I wrote about if you had asked the same question in person, and as soon as you finished asking, I would have replied the above in a monotone, fast, and self-confident tone. It would have sounded blunt.

Last edited:
I have two modes, and I switch between them depending on whether or not I am locked in a perpetual loop of social anxiety. Either I'm exceedingly erudite, blunt, and pragmatic to a fault, or I'm relentlessly dancing around the point without ever getting to it, often repeating myself in circles. There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of room in-between.

Autistic people are considered to be very blunt and forthright, no nonsense and all that.
This is right in my wheelhouse, as Americans say.
"Blunt" is my middle name.

But the autistic people I’ve met (including most on this forum) are not blunt, not at all, not in the least. We seem to be equally prone to pussyfooting around all of the same things so-called “NTs” do and politely discussing whatever—and never actually getting to the point, not in any meaningful way.
Well, I am an older, traditional Aspie.
From my perspective, it is one of the more positive aspects of being autistic.
I.E., straight-talking, no-nonsense honesty.
I find NT-type beating/walking/talking around the bush is not only frustrating but confusing also.

NTs all too often focus on emotional considerations, whereas, traditional Aspies tend to "cut to the chase".
I may not like some of the honesty I hear, but I respect ppl being honest, assuming there is no hidden agenda involved.

I have always been like this.

This is right in my wheelhouse, as Americans say.
"Blunt" is my middle name.

Well, I am an older, traditional Aspie.
From my perspective, it is one of the more positive aspects of being autistic.
I.E., straight-talking, no-nonsense honesty.
I find NT-type beating/walking/talking around the bush is not only frustrating but confusing also.

NTs all too often focus on emotional considerations, whereas, traditional Aspies tend to "cut to the chase".
I may not like some of the honesty I hear, but I respect ppl being honest, assuming there is no hidden agenda involved.

I have always been like this.
I do actually hate honesty unless it's acceptably necessary. But there is a difference between being honest and being trollish, and you're the former. You have never offended me or anyone else as far as I've seen. Okay we've all offended someone at some point, everyone in the world who has had human contact in their lives have accidentally offended someone before. But there's offending and there's offending, if you get what I mean.

Okay we've all offended someone at some point, everyone in the world who has had human contact in their lives have accidentally offended someone before. But there's offending and there's offending, if you get what I mean.
There are a tremendous number of misunderstandings generally when strangers get together.

When I first came to this website, I spent half my time unravelling this problem.
I am not sure if my style of communication is the main cause of this.
I don't think so.

Most of the confusion seems to be due to ppl making assumptions rather than first verifying where someone is actually coming from, and defining context/definitions.

Autistic people are considered to be very blunt and forthright, no nonsense and all that. But the autistic people I’ve met (including most on this forum) are not blunt, not at all, not in the least. We seem to be equally prone to pussyfooting around all of the same things so-called “NTs” do and politely discussing whatever—and never actually getting to the point, not in any meaningful way.

It’s one of the most surprising things about autistic people I’ve experienced since being diagnosed. I have such a difficult time not telling it the way I see it—and of course sometimes I’m wrong, sometimes spectacularly wrong (as are we all), but still, I can’t not sugar-coat things.

Do you consider yourself to be blunt? And why, or why not? Is bluntness actually an autistic thing, or is it just a thing that some humans (autistic or “NT”) possess?
I don't do blunt, I do direct. There is a difference, sort of like the difference between "Do this" "We need to do this." I think blunt is more commanding maybe.

I generally try to avoid being offensively honest but I don't always achieve it.
I think trauma has ground into me the need to not be perceived as too confronting, as I already, effortlessly have found myself vilified and demonized. That's due to growing up with one narcissistic parent and then spending 20 years with another who I had a tribe of children with while being a lonely autist.
I'm honest and frank. I don't "beat around the bush", although I guess I do sometimes, but I have had to learn to ask for things as, growing up, my needs and wants tended to not be a thing that was considered at all, and this continued in my 20 year relationship. Instead being shamed and demoralized was the norm.

Perhaps trauma is why a lot of autists are too afraid to be as blunt, as they would be if they had grown up with less bullying and marginalization?
I censor myself an awful lot, sad, but true.

I've always been a kind person by nature, self-aware, and empathetic. I've learned a lot in my life from my struggles to fit in, and it feels like I remember every misstep I've made... and I also remember the positives. Combine that with taking note on how others' words and actions have affected me- I usually have a pretty good idea of the reaction or outcome I'll receive before I speak or act. I prefer to be straightforward, honest, and solve problems without speaking in riddles and playing games. There's usually a way to go about this while taking the feelings of others into account, though it can be tiring in situations where there's a lot of corporate whackery and internal politics.

One example is when I was an Operations Engineer at a sprawling hotel/resort/convention center, and the management decided that they wanted to chase after some kind of Forbes accreditation that they could tout in their promotional material and advertisements next to their existing AAA Four Diamond rating that they wore like a badge of honor. Some of Forbes' requirements were things like 24 hour room service, as well as having a maintenance worker show up at a guest's room to make repairs within 10 minutes of the guest requesting service. The problem is that the company was also bent on cutting staffing to the bone to cut operating costs, and this made their goal 100% unachievable. Yet they hired this smarmy lady to give weekly pep talks and conduct mock service requests with a timer in her hand. They "solved" the 24 hour room service problem by having restaurant and room service staff hastily make up some sandwiches to throw in a refrigerator before they left for the night at 10-11pm; the lone bellman or night auditor had to hustle these plastic wrapped sammiches to guests who called for room service during the 7-8 hour period where room service was actually closed. On my end, I would be busy in the boiler room switching the liquid chillers that provided room cooling in the day to a more efficient night mode, firing up the boiler for room heating, monitoring electricity usage, blowing down the steam generator after the kitchen closed, trying to figure out why the fire sprinkler booster pumps kept coming online when there was no fire... and then I'd get a call for a burned out light bulb or an internet connectivity issue in a casita at the far edge of the property. The electric golf carts were slow, so I'd hop in my truck to get there quicker. Ms Smarmypants answers the door and shows me the 12 minutes and 33 seconds time it took me to respond, notes that I only addressed her by her name twice instead of the prescribed three times during our interaction. I'm not mean to her, at all, but I calmly explain to her that it is absolutely not possible to guarantee that I will be able to respond to these calls under all circumstances in less than 10 minutes. If that is your target, the only solution will be to increase staffing in my department, and that it will likely require one person to be staged in my other office at the opposite end of the property so that they can reliably respond to calls in that 10 minute window.

tl;dr - I have no problem with, and understand how to people kindly and respectfully, but I will become increasingly direct when I'm faced with issues that are being obscured with fakery or total bullcrap. If it continues, I can can be pretty curt with people. I would be a lousy politician

New Threads

Top Bottom