• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Presentation

fern_77

V.I.P Member
Sometime this month I am going to be presenting a google slide presentation about autism at my school for autism acceptance month. These images are of screenshots of the slides that I put onto blank slides so that I could share them with you guys without having to send 11 separate screenshots.
Screenshot 2022-04-05 8.48.27 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-04-05 8.48.42 AM.png
Screenshot 2022-04-05 8.48.49 AM.png

Hello, I like very much your work. I would change the contrast. Using orange letters with red is not a good idea, and some people may be not even able to read them. Its better to use orange letters with black, that will be also kind with eyes since that combination of colours is used in the dark mode of many books and webs to make easier the lecture.

I would also separate Acceptance from Support. When you say that " We should learn to support autists" you may be making a bigger step that just "Accepting" autistics.

I agree that we humans should support each other, but If I ask them to support me whitout making clear that I will also supoort them, they may feel that its unfair from me. So Acceptance is less demanding on them.

Very good job! :)

I love the drawings.

Hello, I like very much your work. I would change the contrast. Using orange letters with red is not a good idea, and some people may be not even able to read them. Its better to use orange letters with black, that will be also kind with eyes since that combination of colours is used in the dark mode of many books and webs to make easier the lecture.

I would also separate Acceptance from Support. When you say that " We should learn to support autists" you may be making a bigger step that just "Accepting" autistics.

I agree that we humans should support each other, but If I ask them to support me whitout making clear that I will also supoort them, they may feel that its unfair from me. So Acceptance is less demanding on them.

Very good job! :)

I love the drawings.
Thank you for both saying that I did a very good job and for giving me suggestions. The reason I used red and gold is because red is associated with the #REDInstead movement and a gold infinity symbol is sometimes used as a symbol for autism (the rainbow infinity symbol is more common, but it would not be very easy for people to read if I used rainbow letters). I will show others the actual slides as opposed to the smaller images of them that I provided here and I will ask them if they think I should change the contrast. Also, those drawings were not made by me.

I think it's great you're working to help people at your school understand autism. Your presentation is well written, organized, and informative.

Some questions people may ask you that you may want to prepare an answer for are:

1. You said that autism isn't a bad thing but everything you mentioned about it is negative so why isn't it a bad thing?

2. Allistic people with sensory issues and difficulty with social skills and communication also see those issues as part of who they are but they want to overcome them so they can become a better person. Why don't autistic people want to get better?

3. Since everyone has flaws because no one is perfect, why do autistic people think it's disrespectful to support a cure or treatment to overcome their flaws? How is wanting to cure autistic people of their difficulty with social skills and communication any different than wanting to help allistic people overcome the same problems?

I always admire those of us with both the drive and intent to communicate who and what we are to the NT world.

It's a tough proposition- one not all of us are capable of.

Well done. :)

Thank you for both saying that I did a very good job and for giving me suggestions. The reason I used red and gold is because red is associated with the #REDInstead movement and a gold infinity symbol is sometimes used as a symbol for autism (the rainbow infinity symbol is more common, but it would not be very easy for people to read if I used rainbow letters). I will show others the actual slides as opposed to the smaller images of them that I provided here and I will ask them if they think I should change the contrast. Also, those drawings were not made by me.

I think a gold background with red letters would look good.

Looks good, but there are a lot of words on the slides.
You might want to consider having fewer words on the slides themselves and that you speak to the slides - you could use the stuff you have written.
My tendency would be to try to read all the stuff on the slides as they came up and that would give me a headache, and stop me from listening to what you say.

I think it's great you're working to help people at your school understand autism. Your presentation is well written, organized, and informative.

Some questions people may ask you that you may want to prepare an answer for are:

1. You said that autism isn't a bad thing but everything you mentioned about it is negative so why isn't it a bad thing?

2. Allistic people with sensory issues and difficulty with social skills and communication also see those issues as part of who they are but they want to overcome them so they can become a better person. Why don't autistic people want to get better?

3. Since everyone has flaws because no one is perfect, why do autistic people think it's disrespectful to support a cure or treatment to overcome their flaws? How is wanting to cure autistic people of their difficulty with social skills and communication any different than wanting to help allistic people overcome the same problems?
I edited this slide to add stuff that would answer question 1. If people ask me questions 2 or 3, I will answer them verbally, as I already have lots of slides with lots of words on them.
Screenshot 2022-04-05 12.55.01 PM.png

Looks good, but there are a lot of words on the slides.
You might want to consider having fewer words on the slides themselves and that you speak to the slides - you could use the stuff you have written.
My tendency would be to try to read all the stuff on the slides as they came up and that would give me a headache, and stop me from listening to what you say.
I see. Thank you for the advice.

@fern_77, you cover a lot of good points. I hope that you plan to explain some things in more detail. For example, for the misconception "Autism is a disease.", the slide says "It is not." You should plan to back up that statement with some verbal explanation. If you already plan to do so, then - well done! - you have a good format for a presentation.

Please let us know how the presentation goes!

@fern_77, you cover a lot of good points. I hope that you plan to explain some things in more detail. For example, for the misconception "Autism is a disease.", the slide says "It is not." You should plan to back up that statement with some verbal explanation. If you already plan to do so, then - well done! - you have a good format for a presentation.

Please let us know how the presentation goes!
I don't know what else to say about it not being a disease. It just isn't. I stated in another slide that it is a disability, so people will know what it is as well as the fact that it isn't a disease.

I don't know what else to say about it not being a disease. It just isn't. I stated in another slide that it is a disability, so people will know what it is as well as the fact that it isn't a disease.

I think what I wanted to say is that the text on the slide is perfect. It lists the misconception that autism is a disease and refutes it with "it is not". However, you should be able to speak at least briefly on it, saying something like, "You can't catch autism from someone else. It is a developmental condition" (or disorder, or whatever other term you prefer).

-- that's just a sample. The point is that the slide should have talking points and you should be prepared to talk at least a little bit about each one. Someone may say, "What do you mean by that?" or "Tell me more about that?" and you should prepare at least a little something to say.

I don't speak well off the cuff, so I tend to prepare statements for every question I can anticipate. Your own style may be different. Regardless of what advice I think is good, you should go with what you are most comfortable with.

I think what I wanted to say is that the text on the slide is perfect. It lists the misconception that autism is a disease and refutes it with "it is not". However, you should be able to speak at least briefly on it, saying something like, "You can't catch autism from someone else. It is a developmental condition" (or disorder, or whatever other term you prefer).

-- that's just a sample. The point is that the slide should have talking points and you should be prepared to talk at least a little bit about each one. Someone may say, "What do you mean by that?" or "Tell me more about that?" and you should prepare at least a little something to say.

I don't speak well off the cuff, so I tend to prepare statements for every question I can anticipate. Your own style may be different. Regardless of what advice I think is good, you should go with what you are most comfortable with.
I appreciate the advice. Thank you!

@fern_77

A couple of questions:
  • How much time do you have before the presentation?
  • Will you be speaking as you show the slides, or just showing them?
It hasn't been decided when the presentation will be yet, so I'm not sure.
I will be speaking as I show the slides.

New Threads

Top Bottom