• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Online Survey

Stephanie Fuhrmann

Autism Online Survey

(The Picture Link: to the Survey)

Research subject: Why do autistic people show behavior of harming themselves and others?

We look for autistic and non-autistic persons
Time required 10 – 15 minutes

White Unicorn e.V. (Link to our website) has created a research network with Dr. Mark Benecke (Link to his website).

Dr. Schwager (Link to the website Humboldt University of Berlin) from the Institute for Rehabilitation Psychology at University of Berlin provides scientific support for the survey. The university ethics guidelines of Humboldt University and White Unicorn e.V. apply.

The participation is voluntary. The results will be processed anonymously. The data protection regulations will be strictly observed.

Would you like to take part in our survey? Then please fill out this questionnaire.

Autism Online Survey

Research subject: Why do autistic people show behavior of harming themselves and others?

White Unicorn e.V. (Link to our website) has created a research network with Dr. Mark Benecke (Link to his website).

Dr. Schwager (Link to the website Humboldt University of Berlin) from the Institute for Rehabilitation Psychology at University of Berlin provides scientific support for the survey. The university ethics guidelines of Humboldt University and White Unicorn e.V. apply.

The participation is voluntary. The results will be processed anonymously. The data protection regulations will be strictly observed.

Would you like to take part in our survey? Then please fill out this questionnaire.
Where is your evidence that autstic people hurt others? Or really themselves besides harmful stims and things that go along with other conditions. I think you could be mixing up people hurting us and us defending ourselves or having meltdowns as hurting others which makes it seem intentional when we would only do it if at all because we are hurting and likely no one listened

Autism Online Survey

Looks biased. I dont think you should acuse us of harming others. Because Its more common NTs hurt others then we do.

A linguistically very challenging request. I understand the content well, I hope my English is enough for a reasonable answer. I am happy if shorter, more concise questions are added if I do not answer correctly.

Where is your evidence that autstic people hurt others?
In Germany there are many autistic people, children, teenagers and adults who do this.

Others are more likely to hurt the children. through sensory overload and massive stress due to noise, movement and much more. In kindergarten they bite into the arms of their carers, e.g. in school they defend themselves with objects.

The self-injury up to the killing occurs in the age, from then on they can grasp e.g. a shard. Very young therefore. In the age it can come also to intended death.

Or really themselves besides harmful stims and things that go along with other conditions. I think you could be mixing up people hurting us and us defending ourselves or having meltdowns as hurting others which makes it seem intentional when we would only do it if at all because we are hurting and likely no one listened
Yeah, I think so, too. There are just no studies in German that ask questions or give answers.

So we try it from the very beginning and have started this survey.

In Germany there are many autistic people, children, teenagers and adults who do this.

And there are also NT's who do to. I think you are mixing up correlation (happening to be the same) and causation (one thing causing another).

Well I probably did the same but it seems necesary and we also struggle with communication so if you are upset and feel like you may die and cant do anything and you can hit something to stop it, wouldnt you?

I dont think they mean to kill anyone

And to the last bit. Ok.

Looks biased. I dont think you should acuse us of harming others. Because Its more common NTs hurt others then we do.
In Germany, at least, that really happens. Autistic children biting themselves into the arms of others. Blood flowing through injuries.

Before that, violence usually takes place against the children. They are forced to stay in places that are not good for them.

But there are no studies. And only surveys with adult autistic people are possible.

We hope for answers from adult autistic people who tell us why they hurt themselves or why they bit their parents or caregivers as a child, for example.

It is a free field there. There it could be told for example:

My parents and carers forced me to go to the carnival. I couldn't speak anymore, I was dizzy and I noticed how my legs started to fail. It was too loud, too hectic, I couldn't stand it anymore, so I tried to free myself from my mother's hand. She forced me to go on, so I bit him her hand. She let go. I ran away.

That would be a typical story, from Germany, which I have witnessed myself, e.g.

I dont think they mean to kill anyone
It depends. There was one case in which fatal injuries also happened. Not intentionally, but there are cases where it is less harmless.

The number of those who die is definitely too high. Autistic teenagers who cut themselves too deep do not have to be. At least that's how I see it.

One could also simply reduce the barriers the autistic people are exposed to or forbid completely (as in schools, for example).

Do you have an article or something talking about an example of this or showing it in a way that isn't (no offense intended) from you?

Well then Nt's will stop being hurt if they stop hurting us.

It depends. There was one case in which fatal injuries also happened. Not intentionally, but there are cases where it is less harmless.

The number of those who die is definitely too high. Autistic teenagers who cut themselves too deep do not have to be. At least that's how I see it.

One could also simply reduce the burden the autistic people are exposed to or forbid completely (as in schools, for example).
Yes I agree.

Also sorry if I am talking in complex words, when i am passionate about something or get defensive that is what happens.

I wholeheartedly support scientific research, but it is much easier to fill out such arduous surveys if the participant has complimentary donuts to sustain their strength. But allowing for it perhaps being difficult to come by donuts in Germany, maybe you could provide free delicious Nusskuchen to people who complete the survey?

Nusskuchen-mit-Haselnussglasur-Grundrezept_featured.jpg

;)

Do you have an article or something talking about an example of this or showing it in a way that isn't (no offense intended) from you?
German reports could be found by me in blogs of autistic people e.g. If I give you German links it will help you? There I could find you one i think, in which the overload is described.

Non-autistic people hurt themselves and others, too. Of course. But we would especially like to point out the connection with the stress/overload which occurs with autistic people.

White Unicorn is an association for the development of an autistic friendly environment, by autistics, for autistics.

German reports could be found by me in blogs of autistic people e.g. If I give you German links it will help you? There I could find you one i think, in which the overload is described.

Non-autistic people hurt themselves and others, too. Of course. But we would especially like to point out the connection with the stress/overload which occurs with autistic people.

White Unicorn is an association for the development of an autistic friendly environment, by autistics, for autistics.
As long as its in english yes/

Ok

Interesting

I wholeheartedly support scientific research, but it is much easier to fill out such arduous surveys if the participant has complimentary donuts to sustain their strength. But allowing for it perhaps being difficult to come by donuts in Germany, maybe you could provide free delicious Nusskuchen to people who complete the survey?
Everyone is welcome to visit us, I personally bake a nut cake (or make donuts if it has to be :D ) if someone comes to visit us. - Free of charge, until completely filled / sated (?) of course!

I filled out the survey, although I'm not sure you'll like the data, since I have never been violent towards others or myself.

New Threads

Top Bottom