• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Online Survey

I've completed the survey and am another member who has not been violent to myself or others.

What about violence to inanimate objects. I never hurt myself or others but have taken stress out on things like phones, desks, a christmas tree stand once... :D

A strong inclination to harm oneself or others is not inherent to autism in its simplest form [ASD1]. It is one of many possible co-morbid conditions that are usually found among ASD2s & 3s (possibly in an ASD1.x).

Last edited:
Autism Online Survey

(The Picture Link: to the Survey)

Research subject: Why do autistic people show behavior of harming themselves and others?

We look for autistic and non-autistic persons
Time required 10 – 15 minutes

White Unicorn e.V. (Link to our website) has created a research network with Dr. Mark Benecke (Link to his website).

Dr. Schwager (Link to the website Humboldt University of Berlin) from the Institute for Rehabilitation Psychology at University of Berlin provides scientific support for the survey. The university ethics guidelines of Humboldt University and White Unicorn e.V. apply.

The participation is voluntary. The results will be processed anonymously. The data protection regulations will be strictly observed.

Would you like to take part in our survey? Then please fill out this questionnaire.
Why white unicorns? Are you racist? This whole post I just read sounds creepy and well, creepy. For the record I'm white and that's the only question I'll answer. Also 7. One of the answers must be 7. That's 2 questions answered. So what's my score?

What about violence to inanimate objects. I never hurt myself or others but have taken stress out on things like phones, desks, a christmas tree stand once... :D
I'm taking this to the team meeting. Many thanks for the feedback! For future surveys such a thing is always very important for us. :)

Why white unicorns? Are you racist? This whole post I just read sounds creepy and well, creepy. For the record I'm white and that's the only question I'll answer. Also 7. One of the answers must be 7. That's 2 questions answered. So what's my score?
There's a fairy tale:

The last unicorn

In this fairy tale the unicorn is white, as are all other unicorns. The name of our association refers to this story: last unicorn, also available as a film: The Last Unicorn (film) - Wikipedia

As the evil king will fall through all the unicorns, everything shall fall that holds the unicorns captive.

And since it's about the unicorns themselves and they are white, it became that name. In German they tell this story about the red bull and the white unicorn.

In our questionnaire, there is not a single question that asks about skin color.

Maybe a question about the circumstances surrounding the event/aggressive reaction would be a good one for you. For example, the times when I retaliated physically where mostly as an answer to bullying.

Outside of instances I perceive as justified self-defence, I did not retaliate physically. Then, I encountered children in pre-school when I was younger who would bite everyone around them, including me. I met them a few months back the last time, keeping in touch with some afterwards, and none seem to have autistic traits.

Taking into account comorbid conditions and mental illnesses, such as depression, anxiety, PTSD, OCD etc., would be a good idea as well. For example is irritability due to sensory issues, depression or both?

There's an article in Forbes which you can find online about bullying by NTs against autistic children and autistics bullying NT children. The article claims that only 8% of NT children have bullied others but as high as 20% of autistic children have bullied others. The supposition is that autistic children who have been bullied themselves will engage in bullying of others. I don't know how accurate it is, but it's out there if you want to read it.

Tried to give my survey 2 times but both times was not approved due to some " wrong captcha " but thats okey

Like Crossbreed so accurately states i agree 101 % and would also like to add this

In Germany (as well as over here Sweden ) there have been a colossal amount of over diagnosing whats then was called simply Asbergers or Autism etc... (later changed to ASD ) In general when in fact there has in many cases been other comorbid neuropsychological diagnosis (very often ADHD which is pretty much often the co morbid second diagnose too ASD) the standard in ASD added or instead of. So you also have to take in account those facts as well. + if you look at the comorbid diagnosis you will find many possible answers on youre question as well.

Reg those who have been bullied themselves become bullies i DONT agree. I have been bullied /frozen out / treated like an idiot....Most of my life (from pre kindergarten ) & i would NEVER even considere bullying others just because i was .And i have so far NEVER talked /met ANYONE on the spectrum / other diagnosis comorbid to this ) doing or thinking in this way. Im actually standing up for those that arent capable in doing so for them self (incl when i was younger)

What i belive is causing some within this spectrum and other comorbid diagnosis is pretty much frustration and uncapulity to otherwise being able to keep our self control in check so to say. ( me myself have had this inner switch that if im puched too far despite MULTIPLE pre warnings... Lets just say im NOT proud of it and ive learnt to deal with it with age and its NOT pretty. And like its specified in said article (THANK you Tree it was VERY informative ) we all have our breaking point on how much we can take before reaching out and defend our self with whatever we got

I highly doght ANYONE (with or without ASD 2 or 3) or other Comorbid diagnosis would willingly try to hurt anyone.

What makes a bully is usely someone that has very low self esteem and being bullied at home from his /heres parents.

Reg the self harm and suicide rate of us with this diagnose id say its more due to the fact that we are often alienated in the world and misunderstood and or in many cases mistreated that in terms make us even more distressed of the world and act out this way(other words were SCREAMING for help) I have been severely suicidal most of my life my self. Not self harming tho.

So all this said we have to take every possible aspect in consideration before we make to drastic assumptions reg how people with ASD is prone to self harm / suicidal / prone to hurt others etc....

Last edited:
There's an article in Forbes which you can find online about bullying by NTs against autistic children and autistics bullying NT children. The article claims that only 8% of NT children have bullied others but as high as 20% of autistic children have bullied others. The supposition is that autistic children who have been bullied themselves will engage in bullying of others. I don't know how accurate it is, but it's out there if you want to read it.

Yes, that's the article. I don't how to post links or I'd have done it myself.

Tried to give my survey 2 times but both times was not approved due to some " wrong captcha " but thats okey

Like Crossbreed so accurately states i agree 101 % and would also like to add this

In Germany (as well as over here Sweden ) there have been a colossal amount of over diagnosing whats then was called simply Asbergers or Autism etc... (later changed to ASD ) In general when in fact there has in many cases been other comorbid neuropsychological diagnosis (very often ADHD which is pretty much often the co morbid second diagnose too ASD) the standard in ASD added or instead of. So you also have to take in account those facts as well. + if you look at the comorbid diagnosis you will find many possible answers on youre question as well.

Reg those who have been bullied themselves become bullies i DONT agree. I have been bullied /frozen out / treated like an idiot....Most of my life (from pre kindergarten ) & i would NEVER even considere bullying others just because i was .And i have so far NEVER talked /met ANYONE on the spectrum / other diagnosis comorbid to this ) doing or thinking in this way. Im actually standing up for those that arent capable in doing so for them self (incl when i was younger)

What i belive is causing some within this spectrum and other comorbid diagnosis is pretty much frustration and uncapulity to otherwise being able to keep our self control in check so to say. ( me myself have had this inner switch that if im puched too far despite MULTIPLE pre warnings... Lets just say im NOT proud of it and ive learnt to deal with it with age and its NOT pretty. And like its specified in said article (THANK you Tree it was VERY informative ) we all have our breaking point on how much we can take before reaching out and defend our self with whatever we got

I highly doght ANYONE (with or without ASD 2 or 3) or other Comorbid diagnosis would willingly try to hurt anyone.

What makes a bully is usely someone that has very low self esteem and being bullied at home from his /heres parents.

Reg the self harm and suicide rate of us with this diagnose id say its more due to the fact that we are often alienated in the world and misunderstood and or in many cases mistreated that in terms make us even more distressed of the world and act out this way(other words were SCREAMING for help) I have been severely suicidal most of my life my self. Not self harming tho.

So all this said we have to take every possible aspect in consideration before we make to drastic assumptions reg how people with ASD is prone to self harm / suicidal / prone to hurt others etc....

Well said. When I think back to high school, the kids who bullied others were usually the low self-esteem kids with poor grades who, in retrospect, were desperately seeking attention and/or help from others.

Just a little piece of constructive criticism because I'm sure I'm not the only one who had this experience with the test:

The range of responses we're given don't feel very representative when running across several of the questions. What I mean is that there is too much of a gap between "sometimes" and "almost always", that there's a big difference between "often" and "almost always". Without a doubt it'd be helpful in achieving more representative results if there was an option such as "often".

Really any time such a survey is being devised it's worth considering if there's so much variance between some options that someone taking the survey is stuck looking at two "close" options and thinking "well, neither of these is very true of me at all".

Where is your evidence that autstic people hurt others?

I don't know about you but so far as I can tell this is neither a new idea nor something that isn't quite familiar already. There are people close to me, and happen to be on the spectrum, that have harmed themselves and others; I've been seeing and hearing about this for several years, and don't see what's the problem with a survey being curious about it.

No one is being put down here, these are things that really happen. My sister in law has two little brothers that are not only on the lower functioning end of the spectrum but have pretty challenging symptoms. Things can get explosive when they're having a really rough time.

Neither do I think you necessarily have to be low functioning to have such issues.

The last unicorn

In this fairy tale the unicorn is white, as are all other unicorns. The name of our association refers to this story: last unicorn, also available as a film: The Last Unicorn (film) - Wikipedia

As the evil king will fall through all the unicorns, everything shall fall that holds the unicorns captive...
There is a disturbing lack of rainbow sherbet in your synopsis...! ;)

Last edited:
I wholeheartedly support scientific research, but it is much easier to fill out such arduous surveys if the participant has complimentary donuts to sustain their strength. But allowing for it perhaps being difficult to come by donuts in Germany, maybe you could provide free delicious Nusskuchen to people who complete the survey?

View attachment 55648

;)
Nussecken looks better

988662-960x720-nussecken.jpg

New Threads

Top Bottom