• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism Online Survey

Just a little piece of constructive criticism because I'm sure I'm not the only one who had this experience with the test:

The range of responses we're given don't feel very representative when running across several of the questions. What I mean is that there is too much of a gap between "sometimes" and "almost always", that there's a big difference between "often" and "almost always". Without a doubt it'd be helpful in achieving more representative results if there was an option such as "often".

Really any time such a survey is being devised it's worth considering if there's so much variance between some options that someone taking the survey is stuck looking at two "close" options and thinking "well, neither of these is very true of me at all".
I'm thinking this would be extremely useful in the situation of publishing the results of such studies, such as "in a survey the majority of autistic people answered "almost always" they would feel violent towards X trigger" which sounds inaccurate but no one is able to tell there were only 2 options of choice so they were forced to say they almost always feel that way.

Like others suggested I would also say it's important that the survey asks prior to the test what a person's comorbid conditions are, if it doesn't already contain such a question.

Nussecken looks better

988662-960x720-nussecken.jpg
It's close. It's really close. :D

Most stories from my autistic friends I know of violence are either due to them being misunderstood and not offered trust by the school, or from being bullied and feeling unsafe among others, schools can be a really distressing environment for them.

For example one of my friends took a razor to her school but she would use it to scuplt pencils, the school and classmates reacted very aversive to this when they noticed it and she was expelled for doing nothing wrong just having a sharp thing on her. I think there need to be set rules written somewhere accessible every student must know, and their consequences next to them.

When I'm having a severe meltdown, I sometimes punch myself in the arms. I very rarely do it now, but before, during, and for some time after I was diagnosed I did it a lot until my arms were covered with bruises. I never hear of other people doing this when they self-harm, I only hear things like cutting. So is it really self harm?

When I'm having a severe meltdown, I sometimes punch myself in the arms. I very rarely do it now, but before, during, and for some time after I was diagnosed I did it a lot until my arms were covered with bruises. I never hear of other people doing this when they self-harm, I only hear things like cutting. So is it really self harm?

Judge for yourself:

10 Ways People Self-Harm, Self-Injure | HealthyPlace

I was thinking of taking the survey, but I'm an adult women with Asperger's so my answers will likely be ignored, anyway. And I've never been in an orphanage or foster home, either. I grew up in a very functional, loving family, and even if they weren't, it would not be the "cause" of my Asperger's.

And the pictures look like they were drawn by a 10-year-old. I know I can draw much better than that and yet I have no job or career as an artist. But then again, the stress would probably make me end up hating the very thing I love.

When my ASD2 son was three, he would bang his head against our slab-based floor. He wasn't angry or in any other distress. (He just liked the sensation. He was often laughing about it.) He wouldn't stop, even when he developed a goose-egg bruise on his forehead.

I finally started giving him comparatively painless "swats" to his disposable diaper, and he stopped.

Though he never did so, he later entertained cutting & burning himself. Not out of anger, but from morbid curiosity.

His youngest brother (uncertain dx/ASD0.5?) did the head-banging thing, too.

Is it still considered self-harm, if it is done for a morbid sense of pleasure/entertainment?

When my ASD2 son was three, he would bang his head against our slab-based floor. He wasn't angry or in any other distress. (He just liked the sensation. He was often laughing about it.) He wouldn't stop, even when he developed a goose-egg bruise on his forehead.

I finally started giving him comparatively painless "swats" to his disposable diaper, and he stopped.

Though he never did so, he later entertained cutting & burning himself. Not out of anger, but from morbid curiosity.

Is it still considered self-harm, if it is done for a morbid sense of pleasure/entertainment?

Yep, it's kinda like a bad but pleasant habit or addiction.

I think in a meltdown one has little control over their reactions, so, it's not really their fault but it seems it is possible to change for some people which is good.

I was thinking of taking the survey, but I'm an adult women with Asperger's so my answers will likely be ignored, anyway.

I understand what you mean but surely in this environment, and with this kind of survey, you do indeed have a voice. I'm sorry you've felt that you don't.

Last edited:

While I would initially say no, it doesn't make sense to equivocate here, this illustrates something I hope more and more people composing these surveys can develop sensitivity towards: vagueness in language. Yes, it is self harm. No, it is not the same as the main kind of self harm the survey appears to have in mind, the kind of self harm that comes out of distress and is clearly violent, not stimming behavior.

Let's say you ask your friend: "How many grains of sand are in a heap?" Then you count grain by grain until your friend feels comfortable calling it a heap. You can then rightly ask: "Well, why is it a heap now but if we subtract just a single grain it isn't?" The point is that the term doesn't entirely make sense.

What do you do when you run into such a problem? You instead use multiple, distinct terms as opposed to one term that doesn't work well for the conversation at hand. Do your terms work well for what you're doing? If not then how can you ever make real progress? This has been my issue with almost all online surveys.

Interesting question. I can only speculate on such a thing. That certain pursuits while pleasurable, can still amount to manifestations of self-destructive behavior. In that sense I suppose I'd have to answer "yes".

Why white unicorns? Are you racist? This whole post I just read sounds creepy and well, creepy. For the record I'm white and that's the only question I'll answer. Also 7. One of the answers must be 7. That's 2 questions answered. So what's my score?

It's racist for unicorns to be white, now? Isn't that kind of their "default" color? People are way too sensitive these days. What's next, it'll be racist to own a white cat or a white rabbit? Or white plates? White cups? WHITE TOILET PAPER?
I don't want to live in a world where someone says, "Your teeth are so clean and white. Racist!"

@Crossbreed

That happened to me, too.
The first time.
The next time I looked at it,
I copied pertinent content from it
fast before the ad came up.

The DO’s and DON’Ts for Handling Violent Autistic Behavior
Ways to minimize such behavior and assuring everyone’s safety requires some specific strategies to be in place. It’s not that you always have to do something; there are certain things you must also refrain from.

The List of DO’s
  • Visual or non-verbal redirections: Gestures/visuals tell an individual what you want him/her to do without use of words. Hold him/her out, wave to gain his/her attention and then send the message to sit down or stand up with your hands. It is commanding without attending to the behavior.
  • Block aggression without engaging: Best way to do this is keeping the individual from being too close to others. Do it without talking or looking straight into his/her eyes. Also, obstruct his/her view to the target with a beanbag, a chair or something else. Keep him in your view and watch covertly to assure safety.
  • Attend the victim: If the child is attacking or teasing other students, keep eyes on the student being targeted. Ask him/her if he/she is OK, fuss over him/her, and pay lots of attention to the child. Ignore the attacking child and talk about the behavior expected from the victim in such cases. Plain ignoring goes a long way.
  • Assuring safety: Don’t sacrifice safety to avoid attention. This may go without saying but it’s important to recognize that sometimes violent autistic behavior is going to escalate and you are going to have to do something to keep a student from running out into the parking lot or hurting another student. Those are times when you will have to intervene, but do it with as little attention as possible.
  • Check your own emotions: That’s tough. Not letting your blood boil with frustration and holding a neutral face is difficult but possible; an expressive face just reinforces an attention-seeking behavior. Keep your calm and don’t involuntarily yell out–when a kid pulls yours or another’s hair all in a sudden. Take a deep breath for that.
The List of DON’Ts
  • Don’t talk (or yell): A child engages in such violent autistic behaviors – even meltdowns – if upset about something. It is often not intentional and those times are not a good time to try reasoning. Language is likely to increase problems furthermore. Being upset makes a person not want to talk to anyone.
  • Eye-contacts are not advised: Keeping an eye for safety and making eye contacts (i.e. looking directly into the eyes of the individual) engages him/her even more and provides the attention which you are trying to cut off. Look off in the distance; look at another direction…anywhere but directly at the child.
  • Avoid touching: Touching an upset individual will only escalate the situation and fights might break out. If it’s only a pretense to gain attention, physical contact provides that. Physically intervention to assure safety, if at all required, must be brief.
  • Don’t discuss the child’s behavior: That’s simply attending to the behavior, because you are talking about it. Instead, talk to other students about what they are doing right and the behaviours expected from them. This way, you’ll send a positive message and remove the attention from the troubled child.
  • Don’t refrain from teaching appropriate ways to gain attention: Behavior is maintained by a counter reinforcement behavior, the replacement skill here will be something that attracts attention appropriately. Reinforcing should be present in addition to teaching the skill (e.g., tapping your arm, using a communication switch). If it turns out to be a more reliable way to gain attention than the violent behavior, then such negative behavior is eventually going to stop.

"Responding to violent autistic behavior in toddlers and children requires significant parental considerations. Interspersions, not intensities; will worsen the behavior further for the child. For example, lets take Adam, who likes hit the child next to him in school because he likes to hear the other child’s reaction–“He hit me!” Or, let’s talk about Sophie; who, out of jealousy, throws her classmate’s stationaries off the table and on the ground.

For children with high functioning or borderline autism, it is often the attention they get from being difficult that keeps children into the habit. For parents, the time to act is now! If you don’t intervene today, the problem would only grow, not to mention that there can be another child victimized tomorrow.

While many of you may have taken temporary measures to alleviate this problem, unless you have a longer-term autistic behavior control strategy in place, the child might end up hurting several others and in worst cases, him/herself.

The DO’s and DON’Ts for Handling Violent Autistic Behavior
Ways to minimize such behavior and assuring everyone’s safety requires some specific strategies to be in place. It’s not that you always have to do something; there are certain things you must also refrain from.

The List of DO’s
Visual or non-verbal redirections: Gestures/visuals tell an individual what you want him/her to do without use of words. Hold him/her out, wave to gain his/her attention and then send the message to sit down or stand up with your hands. It is commanding without attending to the behavior.
Block aggression without engaging: Best way to do this is keeping the individual from being too close to others. Do it without talking or looking straight into his/her eyes. Also, obstruct his/her view to the target with a beanbag, a chair or something else. Keep him in your view and watch covertly to assure safety.
Attend the victim: If the child is attacking or teasing other students, keep eyes on the student being targeted. Ask him/her if he/she is OK, fuss over him/her, and pay lots of attention to the child. Ignore the attacking child and talk about the behavior expected from the victim in such cases. Plain ignoring goes a long way.
Assuring safety: Don’t sacrifice safety to avoid attention. This may go without saying but it’s important to recognize that sometimes violent autistic behavior is going to escalate and you are going to have to do something to keep a student from running out into the parking lot or hurting another student. Those are times when you will have to intervene, but do it with as little attention as possible.
Check your own emotions: That’s tough. Not letting your blood boil with frustration and holding a neutral face is difficult but possible; an expressive face just reinforces an attention-seeking behavior. Keep your calm and don’t involuntarily yell out–when a kid pulls yours or another’s hair all in a sudden. Take a deep breath for that.
The List of DON’Ts
Don’t talk (or yell): A child engages in such violent autistic behaviors – even meltdowns – if upset about something. It is often not intentional and those times are not a good time to try reasoning. Language is likely to increase problems furthermore. Being upset makes a person not want to talk to anyone.
Eye-contacts are not advised: Keeping an eye for safety and making eye contacts (i.e. looking directly into the eyes of the individual) engages him/her even more and provides the attention which you are trying to cut off. Look off in the distance; look at another direction…anywhere but directly at the child.
Avoid touching: Touching an upset individual will only escalate the situation and fights might break out. If it’s only a pretense to gain attention, physical contact provides that. Physically intervention to assure safety, if at all required, must be brief."

"Don’t discuss the child’s behavior: That’s simply attending to the behavior, because you are talking about it. Instead, talk to other students about what they are doing right and the behaviours expected from them. This way, you’ll send a positive message and remove the attention from the troubled child.
Don’t refrain from teaching appropriate ways to gain attention: Behavior is maintained by a counter reinforcement behavior, the replacement skill here will be something that attracts attention appropriately. Reinforcing should be present in addition to teaching the skill (e.g., tapping your arm, using a communication switch). If it turns out to be a more reliable way to gain attention than the violent behavior, then such negative behavior is eventually going to stop.
Additional Resources to Handle Violent Behavior of Autistic Child
We have a lot of resources to handle difficult and/or violent behavior for children with Autism at home and in classrooms. Here are a few:

Strategies to Manage difficult behavior in a child with Autism
Using Circle of Relationship to control violent autistic behaviors in school
Handle Difficult behavior during a change in Routine
9 Techniques to handle behavior issues while transitioning activities
Steps to Implement Functional Behavioral Assessment
Hope this post provides you some insight on handling violent autistic behaviors in children; especially those that are related to gaining attention in particular. Even though the focus was primarily on attention-seeking behavior, the use and importance of reinforcements, in general, needs to be understood. It will ensure that all these strategies become useful for any incident involving violent behavior"

New Threads

Top Bottom