• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism is a "disease"?

SeanF

According to a recent FORBES article, autism is a disease that can be caused by chemicals in common household products.

This is taken from a health hazard assessment conducted four years ago by the CALIFORNIA ENVIRONMENTAL CONTAMINANT BIOMONITORING PROGRAM.

I have a lot of feelings about the irresponsibility of this sort of sensationalist reporting, but I was curious as to the community's thoughts. I know the original report was four years ago, but the FORBES article just appeared in my news feed yesterday. Obviously, autism is not a disease. The reason for my post is that I am curious what the best approach is to counter such harmful and outdated ideas.

Unfortunately we are at the mercy of perceived differences between a disease and a disorder. Where some healthcare sources choose to apply them interchangeably, despite their differences.

Giving just about any source of information the latitude to publish either interpretation in an absence of malice in terms of their potential liability. Particularly given the ambiguous nature of what may be construed as a disorder as opposed to a disease.

Though I also believe most if not all of us are more likely to default to interpretations by medical sources such as the DSM-V and ICD-11 which considers them disorders and not diseases.

"While these two terms are often used interchangeably by healthcare providers, there are subtle differences. A disease is distinct and measurable. A disorder might indicate that a specific disease is possible but there is not enough clinical evidence for diagnosis. It may be clear you have an autoimmune disorder of some sort, but it may take time to receive a specific diagnosis like RA."

I wouldn't suggest using Forbes as a source for much of anything outside the scope of micro, macro and supply-side economics. But that's just my subjective opinion as a former investor.

Last edited:
According to a recent FORBES article, autism is a disease that can be caused by chemicals in common household products.

This is taken from a health hazard assessment conducted four years ago by the CALIFORNIA ENVIRONMENTAL CONTAMINANT BIOMONITORING PROGRAM.

I have a lot of feelings about the irresponsibility of this sort of sensationalist reporting, but I was curious as to the community's thoughts. I know the original report was four years ago, but the FORBES article just appeared in my news feed yesterday. Obviously, autism is not a disease. The reason for my post is that I am curious what the best approach is to counter such harmful and outdated ideas.
The definition of the word "disease". Definition of DISEASE

All feelings pushed aside, like it or not, autism does fall under that definition.

Now, do I feel like I have a disease? Not in the least. In fact, I could twist the narrative around to suggest that what is considered "normal" in terms of human behavior, has in some cases, resulted in quite a bit of harm. So, why on Earth would I want to be "normal"? Why would I want to be associated with that?

Best to not think about it as it serves little purpose but to trigger you into negative thoughts, and who needs more negativity. Move along. Nothing to see here.

It might as well be a disease when they keep coming up with these "studies" of autism being associated with heart disease, diabetes, brittle bones, brain damage, autoimmune disorders, and many other life-threatening illnesses I've heard about. I always thought autism was just a different brain wiring and that people with autism were more or less healthy physically, and any life-threatening physical conditions they may have are not because they have autism. Otherwise why isn't autism considered a health risk?

It's why I keep holding on to the hope that I was misdiagnosed so that I can just live in peace knowing my body is normal.

What if I have heart disease and I don't know it? I could drop down dead tomorrow.

Well it is a disease then. And I saw the word "cancer" in there, if having a slightly different brain wiring is going to give me more chance of getting cancer than my neurotypical peers then I'll just take a gun to my head right now. As if autism isn't a curse enough.

These sorts of discussions is a huge trigger for me.
Did you read this part?

"Despite these risks, there are very few studies of autistic adults with a large enough sample size to accurately identify medical conditions that frequently co-occur with autism."

It's from the article.

Did you read this part?

"Despite these risks, there are very few studies of autistic adults with a large enough sample size to accurately identify medical conditions that frequently co-occur with autism."

It's from the article.
I guess I was panicking too much to read it properly.

I'm just very sensitive about my ASD and can't bear it to be any more of a curse than what I feel it is (to my life, not speaking for everyone on the spectrum).

It seems that whether or not autism is a "disease" depends on how functional you are. Like many if not most adults with "mild" autism I don't see it as a disease at all, but all you ever hear about is children with "classic" autism who can't do things like speak or use the potty and how difficult it is for their parents, and therefore my opinions don't matter.

Well personally I don't see my case as a disease, and I try not to link every ailment I have with ASD anyway. Like I've always suffered with my ears, I could just mindlessly link that to autism, but I don't. Ear problems runs in my family, two of my cousins both have Meniere's disease just like me (not that that should be called a disease either, as it can't kill you nor be cured), and they're both neurotypicals. And one of them had frequent ear infections when he was a child and had to have antibiotics a lot, just like me. Yet he doesn't have a hint of autism or ADHD or any other neurological disorders.

I guess I was panicking too much to read it properly.

I'm just very sensitive about my ASD and can't bear it to be any more of a curse than what I feel it is (to my life, not speaking for everyone on the spectrum).
Also, keep it in context. Say that ASD increases the risk of XYZ. It doesn't meant that everybody with ASD will get XYZ. It just means that the chances are a bit higher for those with ASD. The association with cancer is not that strong to begin with. Sleep problems and digestive problems are more common.

Then the other thing you need to do is to evaluate your own risk, and for that the mechanism is important. For example, ASD is associated with digestive problems, but one of the reasons is restrictive eating. If you don't have that problem, then no reason to be alarmed.

Wait, one more thing. The information can be useful, too. If ASD increases the risk of XYZ and there is a screening test for XYZ, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to be on top of screening. Good thing to know.

Disease, disorder, condition... It's just semantics.

I explain it to myself saying: "there is autism and there are things that often go with autism that pretty much suck." Autism isn't itself a disease or sickness, it's just who we are and I enjoy being autistic. But at times things that can go with autism (ie Ehlers Danlos, gastro problems, anxiety, executive functioning blips, etc etc) can definitely feel like an illness. Like lots of folks here I have Ehlers Danlos. I would never get rid of my autism. But if I could do away with Ehlers Dalos I'd do it in a second.

In terms of countering those terrible messages that autism is a disease--I definitely believe in the power of the pen. Some people also genuinely need to be educated.

Well I think the way these articles and studies are written it doesn't sound like these physical health conditions are lifestyle-related, but that the autism itself causes these physical conditions by nature. You know how like downs syndrome people have all sorts of physical things wrong, as they are born with them or develop them in adulthood and have a shorter life expectancy. So that's what I worry about autism being the same. I think physical illnesses caused by stress and lifestyle are different (but not less valid) than physical illnesses that are actually a part of a disorder by nature.

Some things bother me, some don't. I guess it differs person to person. What people call autism doesn't bother me really. I'm not ashamed of it. It's not like there was any choice involved. I'm fine with mutant even and a proud one at that. But I do understand how it can bother others.

I do in general favor technical accuracy however. In that light neither disease or neurodiverse seem to hit the mark exactly. Neurodiverse seems to hit the mark in most cases, but there are indeed many where it is something more then that. My current feeling is it is a condition of varying intensity which in some cases can even be an advantage, and not a disadvantage though perhaps within certain criteria.

But the study and seminar cited I found very interesting. Suggesting the possibillity of even certain household cleaners (if I understand correctly) being a potential cause of autism if the exposure occurs to mom or dad at a certain time in the pregnacy process. I knew about other studies pointing at pesticides/herbicides/car emmisions as a cause of genetic mutations associated with autism, but those are more serious sounding chemicals. Yet I can't say I am supprised. I do favor the theories that have environmental factors being a very significant cause of autism and it would seem to align right with the increase in autism in general.

I just wish they didn't use animals in these studies.

I don't really care if someone calls it a disease or what they call it, as it is best not to get ourselves offended over words if they aren't written deliberately to aggravate people.

For all the sound and fury, I don’t believe the world thinks about the autistic condition the first time, let alone thinking twice. They don’t care which catch all phrases are used, and aren’t concerned about any mental anguish that may be the lot of many/most autistic people; we look healthy enough to them, so shut up and take it because that’s what people do.

People don’t consider the distinctions between disease and disorder, ever. So stipulating which the autistic community would prefer is exquisitely pointless.

The average cat doesn’t want to know you have autism, doesn’t want to know its essential characteristics or how you deal with it. They’d just as soon hear about dealing with your colostomy, because at least they understand colostomies.

One thing they do care about is whether you’re going to rock their personal boat or cause them discomfort. And I think we can all agree that, in general, we cause them discomfort. I don’t believe that issue is addressed by technical terminology.

Well I think the way these articles and studies are written it doesn't sound like these physical health conditions are lifestyle-related, but that the autism itself causes these physical conditions by nature. You know how like downs syndrome people have all sorts of physical things wrong, as they are born with them or develop them in adulthood and have a shorter life expectancy. So that's what I worry about autism being the same. I think physical illnesses caused by stress and lifestyle are different (but not less valid) than physical illnesses that are actually a part of a disorder by nature.
Well, to add some clarity here, if your autism variant is associated with anxiety, then this can, but not always, increase your risk of hypertension. If your autism variant is associated with a lack of sleep, this can, but not always increase your risk of hypertension, as well. Persistent anxiety and a lack of reparative sleep can also diminish one's immune system. If your autism variant is associated with a hyper-responsive cytokine response, it can enhance and prolong illnesses, as well as, prolong tissue repair after exercise or injuries, surgical interventions, etc. If your autism variant is associated with depression, it can, but not always, lead to poor eating habits, increasing one's risk of weight gain, metabolic syndromes, and diabetes. Furthermore, the effects of depression and social isolation, if that pertains to you, can lead to other things like drug abuse, or worse. Not to mention the GI issues that definitely effect many systems throughout the body.

I say this not to "trigger" anyone. Autism needs to STOP being treated as a psychological condition only. For those with autism, our loved ones, our physicians, they need to consider autism a genetic, anatomical, physiological, immunological condition with secondary psychological signs and symptoms. Depending upon the specific autism variant, it can have both primary and secondary physical health effects. Knowing this is useful. It gives one the opportunity to make some informed decisions and lifestyle changes.

I respect the feelings associated with this topic, but knowledge is a powerful thing if put to positive thought and use. When it comes to my physical well-being, I must push the feelings aside and use my logic centers. Furthermore, do understand that statistical analysis rarely results in 100%, but rather 20%, 40%, or whatever in terms of associated increase in risk factors. In other words, 80% or 60% may not be associated with that risk. Those statistics can be flipped around. Context and perspective. I plan on living to 100+ years just to piss people off, so that means using this knowledge and making better decisions. ;)

New Threads

Top Bottom