• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Autism in Boyss

Novachels

Hello,

I am writing a book on Autism and wanted to know if anyone could tell me of characteristics that present moreso in boys than girls. Every time I search on the internet for information, it comes up with girls and autism, and while I am all for that, the section of my book that needs attention is Boys and Autism.

Can anyone recommend reading materials/reliable websites that are specifically targeted towards boys and autism? I will not accept anything from Autism Speaks. I have been stuck on this part for a little while and could really do with some assistance.

Alternatively, I am more than willing to include the personal experiences of Boys/Men with autism in the book as I strongly believe lived experience trumps that of the standardised medical textbook. If you would like to include your personal experience in regards to how you navigate life with Autism as a Man/Boy/Male, then please do get in touch via my email below, and I will answer any questions you may have.

Email: [email protected]

Thank you so much :)

I might suggest working backwards, if you will. The earlier definitions of autism, the testing criteria, etc. have a heavy male bias, and is a contributing factor to why females might not be diagnosed with autism, but something else. YouTube has quite a bit of information from female autists, TEDx talks, etc. that may help with recognizing how autism often presents in females, as compared to males.

If you start looking at some of the neuroimaging studies comparing male and female autism from the past few years, you will find some interesting differences at a connectivity and conductivity level. Furthermore, it would appear that in order for a female to be recognized as having autism, they will often have significantly more genetic loading than their male peers.

Also consider that within the autism community there is a disproportionate amount of "gender fluidity", LGTBQ+, so I would caution what language you use when it comes to the "male autism presents this way" and "female autism presents that way". It's not as straight-forward as one would think.

Furthermore, there are generational and cultural differences that influence outcomes, as well. My experience as a 50+ year old, white, male living in the mid-west of America could be quite different than even my children in their 20's, let alone someone living in Asia, Africa, or somewhere else.

At any rate, context and perspective are really important when it comes to accurate information. Good luck with the project.

I hope this gets you started.

Last edited:
@Novachels

I think you'd have a greater response to your questions here
if instead of posting your email address (which means any
responses necessarily involve using email) you'd consider
using the PM/Inbox function here.

You could suggest people PM you.
It serves the same function as email, without going off-site.

New Threads

Top Bottom