• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspie's and the the critical eye.

Mia

V.I.P Member
Are Aspie's much more prone to view the world with a critical eye?

Do they tend towards being suspicious or questioning because they can see or understand or perceive the world's superficiality?

Are they able easily to 'see' through' the facade of civility or sociability more easily than others who simply accept it as the ways things are, because they have to learn the rules to fit in?

Do you think that you are more perceptive of fakery and superficiality than other people?

Last edited:

Do they tend towards being suspicious or questioning because they can see or understand or perceive the world's superficiality?

Are they able easily to 'see' through' the facade of civility or sociability more easily than others who simply accept it as the ways things are, because they have to learn the rules to fit in?

Recently discovered that I have had this ability my entire life, to see the 'underneath' of situations and the ability to find the truth under many circumstances. Have just read up on an article which made me laugh, and my husband as well. It seems to be a hoax and the headline was: Canadian Troops will enforce martial law in the US. Which I found amusing, as many American citizens are armed. Not only do we not have enough troops to occupy more than one small state, our headquarters are in the empty Target stores that failed in Canada.:)

Do you think that you are more perceptive of fakery and superficiality than other people?

http://www.thecommonsenseshow.com/2...s-will-help-enforce-martial-law-on-americans/

To "most people", fakery and superficiality are just social strategies. I think that you are right, Aspies are more prone to see the world with a critical eye. I believe this is because of our attention to detail and logical way of thinking. Sometimes it seems to me that "most people" are not capable of logical thought.

But isn't gullibility also supposed to be an aspie trait?
Perhaps early experiences being taken advantage of lead us to view people with more suspicion?

My attention to detail mixed with my knowledge of psychiatric disorders helps me through the landscape of crooked people. I also have heightened senses, once my "gut" says something is wrong, I follow it.

Perhaps early experiences being taken advantage of lead us to view people with more suspicion?

Because of my trusting nature, I get taken advantage off to often. I can see the red flags, but I have this need to trust people so I give them a chance. However,I am always aware of how high the stakes are and I will make sure to keep my losses to a minimum.

Because of my trusting nature, I get taken advantage off to often. I can see the red flags, but I have this need to trust people so I give them a chance. However,I am always aware of how high the stakes are and I will make sure to keep my losses to a minimum.

That can be quite a liability given the degree of fraud and identity theft going on these days. Hope it isn't you who answers the phone. About 95% of the phone calls I receive (who calls me anyways?) are criminal fraud scam attempts. I usually look up the spoofed caller id on the Internet to verify my suspicions.

Trust no one.

It is when it comes to interacting with people, it's likely something inherent that makes us trust. It's different with information, reading it and taking our time shows our skills as thinkers.

I recently thought about how much happier I am now that I allow myself to be suspicious, as opposed to during childhood when skepticism would have been useful but the angelic stereotype was forced on me by adults and neurotypical children who imitated the adults.

When I let myself look, I can see clearly. Deception is so obvious, but how to deal with it? My parents and wannabe "teachers" neglected to teach me that.

When I let myself look, I can see clearly. Deception is so obvious, but how to deal with it?

Maybe let yourself look more often, taking your time, and using your research skills. Then deciding for yourself with that information in hand what steps to take, it's a lifelong process of learning.

I am very on the ball when it comes to liars and manipulators, historically I wasn't and I was stalked and had my email and social media accounts hacked by a certain person who then took information shared in private messages and emails and made it appear as though I was discussing private family members publicly. She also created a fake Facebook profile to troll me on groups and she gave my personal details to neo-nazis to try to incite them to track me down and attack me. Thankfully they did not. Since then I have been far, far more aware and have caught a couple of supposed friends out. It has a downside though as more people are liars than you would care to imagine, so it has made me quite jaded and cynical. I also cannot continue to be friends with a liar, and I have enough difficulty making friends as it is. I've had a couple of really good online friends who I even planned to meet, and in the end they have turned out to be complete liars and frauds. One was a friend who pretended to be vegan but forgot I followed her on Instagram where she posted things making fun of vegans and detailing the meat and other animal products she had eaten that day, I couldn't care less about her diet and most of my friends are omni/paleo but it was the deceptive nature of it that made me cut her off.

Another friend I had been good online and phone friends with for nearly 6 years, I even planned to visit her in Canada, or she would meet up whenever she visited London for the first time, she said. She then didn't contact me for ages and being concerned I googled her to see what was up, I soon found she had been leading a complete opposite life to what she had claimed. All her opinions were the complete opposite of her real ones. About the only things she was honest about were her son's name and location. I also found she had a Facebook account despite her saying she hates facebook and would never use it, and she had travelled to London a few times in the time we had been friends and said nothing. I do wonder if she stopped contacting me because I had spoken about another incident where someone had lied and betrayed me, maybe she had a pang of conscience or just thought the game is up. Who knows?

That can be quite a liability given the degree of fraud and identity theft going on these days. Hope it isn't you who answers the phone. About 95% of the phone calls I receive (who calls me anyways?) are criminal fraud scam attempts. I usually look up the spoofed caller id on the Internet to verify my suspicions.

Trust no one.

Over the phone or online scams are not a problem. It is usually some one I meet face to face. A friend of one of my kids or a casual friend. For instance, I sold a chain saw to one of my sons friends. He asked me if he could pay me half now and half later and I agreed. I have not seen him since. I can see the red flags. It is just my nature to trust people and give them a break. I am not going to let somebody take me for a lot. I guess I would have to say that for me, it is easier trust all that I can and not worry about all the scum bags out there who run the scams. I just am not going to worry about the small stuff and it is almost all small stuff.

When I was younger I was very trusting and very optimistic perhaps hopelessly so, as I have got older, I have realised that many of the things (both beliefs and my trust in people) I believed were not true or not justified.

As such I have gone too much the other way and now I am very cynical and not remotely trusting.Part of this is also due to me being used in the past.

In many ways I think many people go through this in their life; however I possibly have experienced this more than most, perhaps at least some of this is related to me being on the spectrum.

When I was younger I was very trusting and very optimistic perhaps hopelessly so, as I have got older, I have realised that many of the things (both beliefs and my trust in people) I believed were not true or not justified.

As such I have gone too much the other way and now I am very cynical and not remotely trusting.Part of this is also due to me being used in the past.

In many ways I think many people go through this in their life; however I possibly have experienced this more than most, perhaps at least some of this is related to me being on the spectrum.

New Threads

Top Bottom