• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Aspies and Lying

Ravkrat

I keep hearing about aspies being lieless people(or a more articulate equivalent) but i was wondering if anyone else is the opposite of that.
For me lying is almost second nature now if its something small like "did you make your bed"i still answer with a yes throw in the fact that i have a con-artists poker face (=.=) makes for weird conversations

I used to lie all the time when I was younger, mainly cause I had such an active imagination. I think I actually believed that if I would say something out loud, the person believing it to be true was as good as if it were real. So I would make up tall tales about just super childish stuff. Elaborate on my stories, etc. etc. But then as I got older and my conscience louder I began to feel super guilty so I had this thing where I gave it up cold turkey and swung all the way to the other end of the spectrum where I was blatantly honest about everything. And, since I still was a certifiable jabber mouth, everyone ended up knowing my business. lol
I'm a bit more balanced now but I find it difficult not too reveal too much about myself at times. Open book my foot.

*Rereads title and realizes this thread is about Aspies. rereads post and realizes it all about me. discrepancy detected.*

Well, to make this post relevant enough, my dad who has Aspergers for sure, he lies a lot but I can't say if this is because of his Aspie nature or if this is paranoid personality disorder shining through. Probably the latter.

Last edited:
I'm a good liar if it's necessary. I don't like doing it, but if it gets me out of trouble...

I keep hearing about aspies being lieless people(or a more articulate equivalent) but i was wondering if anyone else is the opposite of that.

Probably no more than Aspies being entirely logical apart from having pointed ears and green blood. ;)

I suspect such things probably span the entire human neurological spectrum.

Last edited:
Absolutely, positively, all the time! Most of my public life (except on here) is a lie. I learned to act long before I ever set foot on a stage. When I tell the truth about myself, I am not believed; when I say what people want to hear, even though it is "false", it is accepted unquestionably as gospel truth. Those are the kinds of things I lie about. What I believe, what I think, what I feel. Other people define my life and my emotions; I am not allowed to make my own terms. So be it. I am very, very good at it, and because it is so commonly believed that an Aspie cannot look you straight in the eye and lie with a straight face, I get away with it.

Absolutely, positively, all the time! Most of my public life (except on here) is a lie.

Point taken, in a matter of speaking. To get along in the Neurotypical world, quite often I go along, emulating their behavior the best I can at times. Otherwise it's just a concerted effort in not saying what I think...if anything at all. How honest can that be?

Last edited:
Don't know how many people here have seen "Life of Pi". It's basically about a boy who is shipwrecked with a tiger and is rescued. When he tells one version of events he is not believed. So he tells another version and he is believed. But which one is the truth?

NTs lie all the time. It's part of their social thing. I don't feel bad about lying, per se, but I try to stay away from people I have to lie to.

I cannot tell a lie (and I'm not lying about that). I don't have a good poker face either. Even if I didn't do something, I still look guilty. I can't even tell a "white" lie; like if a person asks me if I like what they're wearing, if I don't like it, I say I don't like it and give the reason. If you don't want the truth, don't ask me. I also expect and respect the same in return. If I don't look good in something, tell me. If I have something hanging out of my nose or my gray hairs are glistening just a little too much (yes, I dye my hair) I want to be told. If one person is thinking it, probably others are too and I'd like the chance to fix whatever it is that someone feels they have to go out of their way to lie to me about thinking it will make me feel better about myself. I just don't see a reason for lying - at some point you will get caught. One thing I cannot handle is someone lying to my face and I find out about it. I can no longer be around that person because I can't trust them. I can handle most anything when told the truth. Lying, for me, would be grounds for divorce (in friendship or marriage).

I try to always tell the truth. But I don't think that's an Aspie thing. I think it's just a decision I made.

I can lie if it will get me out of trouble but whether anyone can tell if I am lying is another matter, I suspect I am not as good a liar as I think. I can embellish a story to make it more interesting and help make small talk but I have such a guilt complex to this that even my tall stories are 90% truth, I find telling white lies (such as 'do you like my new hairdo') hard and I often end up blushing or laughing, a dead give away.

I lie sometimes even though I doing like doing it :/
I lent my sister money to pay my dad back and I lied to him and said it was her money because my dad was too impatient to wait for it so I lied for her because I didn't like my dad having a go at my sister about it all the time

But most the time I tell the truth (more than I lie)

For me, lying has always been difficult for several reasons. Firstly, as I have a strong conscience, secondly, I wasn't always very good at it, and thirdly, I can't stand knowing that the truth has been stifled. As an avid truth seeker, it's in my nature to see through the lies, so adding to them only makes me feel like I'm only adding to the pollution.

Why I care so much about the truth I suppose has to do with my complex, family dynamic. My mother lies about everything, all the time. She lies, even when it's unessessary, and lies even to strangers, who don't care what she has to say. She hides behind her lies; and there are so many, I don't even know who she is sometimes. My sister lies too, though more as a selfish tool to get what she wants from others; in saying that, my mother does this too. I'm so sick of feeling lost in the thick fog of lies, feeling like my life is constructed out of smoke and mirrors; it's confusing, and if find myself lost in it all the time. Sometimes, I'm so sick of their lies, I just blurt out the truth, as it feels almost like a relief to be able to hear it out loud; it's almost like clearing the air.

In sayin that, I do lie too. When I do lie though, I've found that it's always been for survival; whether it's a simple lie to avoid getting in to trouble, or a lie that can save me from the day-to-day struggles of living in an NT world. I do feel bad for it, but I've learned to understand the value, and necessity of lying in certain circumstances; even if I dislike it. I never lie to take advantage of people though; I could never stoop that low.

Last edited:
I am a horrible lier. I have tried to tell lies and my facial expressions always give me away. I cannot make eye contact when I lie and I just plain look guilty. So I don't bother.

I have a very difficult time lying. I was raised Catholic and we had to go to confession every week! I used to be so happy when I got into a fight with one of my brothers because then I would have a sin to confess!! If I didn't get in a fight, I really didn't have anything to confess but still had to go. I wasn't going to tell the Priest I didn't sin! So I would lie to the Priest and say I fought with my brothers and then pray to God to forgive me for lying to the Priest!!

I think everyone lies whether they mean to or not at some point. Now being good at lying is a whole other issue. I have lied but the thing is I kinda suck at it. I mean really suck at it. I am very obvious so I have been told. I find it hard to do it anyway so I tend not to. I don't find the point. It doesn't keep you out of trouble and it doesn't make you feel very good either. It gives me terrible anxiety anyway.

I am with you Arashi222! The few times I have tried (or been forced) to lie, I am just no good at it! Also, I know a few people who lie constantly....why....because once they tell one lie, that have to tell another!!! My girlfriend has a friend like that and I wanted to talk to her some but I was told (by my girlfriend) that I would have this woman crying in 30 seconds because I am just too callous! I hate being lied to though! I will remember what you told me even if it was two years ago. So if you now change the story you told two years ago, I know you lied! I hate that!

New Threads

Top Bottom