• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Asperger's and Hypertension

My dad likely has Asperger's and takes medication for hypertension. Is that useful at all or did you want someone here? I wasn't sure of the goal so I thought I'd mention it just in case. Sorry if it's not what you were looking for!

I had hypertension for a short period of time, but within one month, from changing my diet, things turned around.

I stopped eating sugary things; started to use an exercise bike and ate an apple every day. By the time I went for a scan, they were confused to why the "rush" to get to see me, as my blood pressure was normal.

Oh and I was borderline diabetic 2 and no longer that.

Is that useful at all or did you want someone here? I wasn't sure of the goal so I thought I'd mention it just in case.

Thank you for your reply. The reason I'm asking is my blood pressure has once again shot up and "doctors" cannot determine the cause. I am on a strict diet, get plenty of exercise, don't drink or smoke - nothing that would normally cause a NT to develop hypertension. What they won't accept is the fact that my Asperger's, which causes me to exist in a perpetual state of anxiety, is the root cause. So, this is where I am coming from. I am presently maxed out on Amlodipine and was merely curious as to whether anyone else with Asperger's was on medication for hypertension and what type of drug and how much they take daily - and if it works for them. Thanks for any kind of input!

Yes. On ramipril but I was only diagnosed a few months ago. BP has lowered but not by much. Anxiety is the main cause without doubt.

In this struggle right now. My BP is borderline high, even with a perfect diet and lots of exercise. The anxiety from Asperger's and PTSD is the only cause. Working with my doctor and therapist to stay OFF of beta blockers as long as possible. Taking benzo's twice a week instead, and doing EMDR with my T. So far I think this combo is working. Meditation, in combination with regular EMDR and hypnotherapy, seems to be the best reducer of BP for me. Its a way to take care of the root cause instead of just treating a symptom.

Thank you for your reply. The reason I'm asking is my blood pressure has once again shot up and "doctors" cannot determine the cause. I am on a strict diet, get plenty of exercise, don't drink or smoke - nothing that would normally cause a NT to develop hypertension. What they won't accept is the fact that my Asperger's, which causes me to exist in a perpetual state of anxiety, is the root cause. So, this is where I am coming from. I am presently maxed out on Amlodipine and was merely curious as to whether anyone else with Asperger's was on medication for hypertension and what type of drug and how much they take daily - and if it works for them. Thanks for any kind of input!

Then why don't you take an anxiety medication instead?

I have HFA. I'm on Amlodipine 10mg daily, Ramipril 10mg daily and Doxazosin 8mg daily although i've been on and off with the Doxazosin. I was diagnosed with hypertension in my late 20's and i was fit and active and thin. There was no reason for it IMO other than being in a perpetual state of stress due to anxiety and difficulties with my autism which at that point hadn't been diagnosed.

The drugs are working for me although my BP does increase slightly for periods sometimes.

I haven't had any side effects from them that i can definitively attribute to their use so all good so far. I'm 43 now and i've put more weight on, got more stressed and not as active and they are still working ok.

I have never wanted to go down the route of anti anxiety meds because i don't trust doctors, i don't trust meds and i don't trust big pharma. In addition they aren't a magic bullet. Many of them don't work and even if they do they have a plethora of unwanted and distressing side effects which will make me more anxious thus defeating the purpose of taking them in the first place.

I manage as best i can without.

Sorry for the delay in addressing everybody's reply! I want to thank everybody for your input - every comment has been helpful! To sum up - in the past (and even now to a certain degree) I don't trust the health care "industry" in our western culture. The US specifically, considered by many to be the wealthiest most powerful nation in the world. (Others will definitely object -I respect that) We (USA), are rated 37th globally in the field of healthcare. When considering other more specific factors such as woman's healthcare or the mortality of our youth, the ranking numbers are even worst. Enough digression.

I mentioned all that above because I am somewhat desperate for answers. I have tried everything to lower my BP. Exercise, lifestyle changes, diet, etc. - all incorporated and all "helped" but none of these factors were successful in lowering my BP to "normal". Only herbal remedies prescribed by an Holistic doctor worked in getting my BP down to normal levels. The problem here is the cost. I was paying 6 to 7 hundred dollars a month for this treatment but once I stopped taking these herbals my BP slowing crept back up. I'm retired and on medicare so what little cash flow I once had has been exhausted.

This is why I asked this community of fellow Asperger's what is working for you. Only recently (in terms of conventional research) has the medical profession "admitted" that stress & anxiety contribute to chronic hypertension. I have already had one "mild" stroke (one & half years ago) and I don't want to have another one while waiting around for my "doctor" to accept the fact that Asperger's (aka - perpetual stress & anxiety) is the underlying cause.

Then why don't you take an anxiety medication instead?

Psychotropic drugs (anxiety medications) are well known, statistically speaking, to be deadly. I respect the fact that they have helped others but I don't want to go that route.

I manage as best i can without.

Skids, I believe you & I think the same way! It is just that I'm caught between a rock & a hard spot - or however that saying goes. Again, I thank every body for your input!

JT

New Threads

Top Bottom