• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you religious?

It is not sad, it's our belief. You probably wouldn't be happy with me saying it's sad you're a theist, it works both ways.

The reason it makes me feel sad is that many people are unhappy and I think religion could possibly help them cope and even overcome some of the aspie issues, though the effectiveness would depend upon on great number of factors.

Christian, though admittedly I'm not as sure now as I used to be about what that means for me. There are some basics I refuse to budge on (within my own mind...not in a debate sort of way...just to clarify). I feel like I've kinda gone back to kindergarten in my spiritual beliefs and having to start over.

I found a way to make God and church mine.

church was never mine always my parents, it was forced religion from a young age something i think should never happen.

everything in life and religion is a never ending war.

ill be honest i don't think everything in life is never ending war (maybe in religion its never ending war but that's not a good argument for religion is it), my life consists of trying to live harmoniously with the rest of society and trying to make the most of the short time on this planet i have (seeing i believe that's all the time im ever going to get),

There are always people trying to make things worse and take advantage....and there are those who stand up for what is right and say NO! this is not the way!

i don't believe there are people trying purposely in the world to make things worse, from their standpoint they are also trying to do right, though they may be very misguided, there is always a complex suite of drivers behind every action people do its not as simple and black and white as you make it seem with good people doing good and bad people doing bad, in my view their are only people who on occasion do good things and bad things and make mistakes we are all the same and as good and as bad as each other our actions however maybe generally worse or better than someone else's. (in my opinion what is good and what is bad is dictated by laws and the rest of society and is fluid and changing with the times rather than being from a higher power and static).

A person has 3 choices in life, you can: opt out, give in to the corrupt system, or try to bend the world back to what it should be good and truthful...I chose the latter... holy Warrior!

i hope i have more choices than just those three in life, you talk of bringing the world back to what it should be, do you think anyone can agree on what it should be that's part of the problem, i could say my ideal future is one where their is freedom of almost everything (including freedom of religion and belief)exists but no/very few devoutly religious people are around and everything is a perfect sci fi secular utopia etc.. but you probably wont agree that that is the way the world should be, similarly many would say a return back to nature and a hunter gatherer lifestyle is the way things are supposed to be after all we did evolve to live like that and sometimes im inclined to agree again you probably wouldn't agree.

i find the use of the words holy warrior scary, cant the world improve slowly generation by generation with small improvements here and there through the ages and a general trend to prosperity (as i believe has been happening for all of human history and has just started to accelerate in its improvements), as far as i see no drastic action/religious war is needed to make the world better (nor would it make the world a better place) it will naturally improve slowly, the world is a better place now than 50 years ago and will be better in another 50 years than now.

I've already payed a massive price for it, but I may as well fight to the bitter end now, and make my sacrifices worth it. Why give into the leach Mafia sucking everyone dry, and blinding us with rivers of lies on science, God, and government. They are going to run everything into the ground anyways...there is no upside to letting them shear us all like sheep???

im not even sure how to respond to this, it doesn't make much sense, leach mafia? blinding us with rivers of lies (who i don't see this grand conspiracy) science is just a methodology to help us discover more about the universe nothing more. and i am not so doom and gloom, im optimistic about the future there is no conspiracy of people purposely ruining things and shearing us like sheep!!!

The reason it makes me feel sad is that many people are unhappy and I think religion could possibly help them cope and even overcome some of the aspie issues, though the effectiveness would depend upon on great number of factors.
blueskies That's great if you feel happy because of your new belief, but at the moment I am very happy and I have been a 'non-believer' for decades. There is no direct link between a belief in a deity and happiness for everybody else just because of your experience.

Be careful not to proselytise.

blueskies That's great if you feel happy because of your new belief, but at the moment I am very happy and I have been a 'non-believer' for decades. There is no direct link between a belief in a deity and happiness for everybody else just because of your experience.

Be careful not to proselytise.

i agree your faith has no baring on happiness whether you are religious or not. i was happier when i lost my faith it doesn't mean that will be the case for everyone.

My family is Christian, and I called myself a Christian for a long time. But I never really lived out the faith; I got too distracted by my own thoughts. I would have periods of really trying hard to be a Christian, but those would fade away after a couple of days. In the past couple years, I've been having a lot of questions about the religion. Questions like, why is there hell? Why would God do the things he's said to have done? I'm not even sure if I believe in God, and a large part of me hopes there isn't. I still go to church and youth group, and am hoping to get more insight into my questions. But right now I'm just confused.

:sheep::ram::ram::ram::ram::ram::eek:..............:wolfface::wolfface::wolfface:(?:chickenleg::meatbone::chickenleg:)

Just thought I'd mention, I am an atheist wolf
ianus.jpg rawr

Religion (especially Christianity) is declining in most western countries, the United states and Ireland being the only two exceptions as far as I know. I don't want to offend anyone by saying this and it is not my intention to sound demeaning, but I like the idea of moving as far away from religion and "God" as possible so we can advance our selves and society and "fill in the gaps".

I find it sad that most aspies are agnostic or atheist, but it's not surprising. It's our way of thinking and our understanding of the world. We hate being deceived and we are very logical. Most NT (neurotypical aka normal) people are able to believe in a higher power without so much need for facts and science - why I don't know.

For me, it took work. I had to understand how it was possible and then really look at the logic behind it all and examine the evidence (there's surprisingly a lot).

I didn't get what the deal was with baptism and being "born again", or the need for forgiveness, or prayer, or well... any of it, it was like a big jigsaw puzzle. It just didn't make sense to me. I had to have explanations for basically everything and figure out how it all fit together. And I had to have proof.

I've always had religion pushed on me by family since I was a kid but it never clicked. It was my own quest for answers as well as my own extensive research and personal experiences that led me to the conclusions I've made and my religious beliefs.

Since I became a Christian, I'm actually happy. I've made a lot of surprising changes.. I used to hate hugs, they made me uncomfortable but now they're awesome at least with people I like. I no longer feel like I have to act like something I'm not to fit in, I'm able to be myself and I'm still accepted. I've had only positive things come from being a Christian.

Unfortunately, I am still mostly mute and its very frustrating, but many of the things I once struggled with like depression and anxiety are gone or don't bother me so much. I still have meltdowns but not as bad or as frequent.

There's a lot more, so much I could probably write a whole book on the topic.

Of course for me, not just any Christian denomination would work, as they couldn't withstand my scrutiny and intense criticism.

I also determined that every church is different, what really makes up the church is not the building or the doctrines, it's the people if they actually have the spirit of God working in them. Fascinating stuff!

I suppose some of us don't believe in a higher power because we believe it's not real and it's not in our cultural upbringing. This is the best I can answer it. Religion never played a pivotal role in my life, a matter of fact it was never mentioned at all. So as I said, "cultural upbringing" plays a role.

New Threads

Top Bottom