• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you religious?

blueskies

(It doesn't matter what religion you believe in or what denomination.)

Are you an atheist, agnostic, or do you believe in a god?

I was an agnostic until this past year. I'm now a devout Christian.

I have a very logical mindset. I like science and facts, figuring out things work. We will never fully understand everything in our world so I always try to keep an open mind. It took a lot to convince me to actually believe in something I can't see.

So I'm curious...

To all those on the spectrum, what do you believe in and how important is religion to you?

In the last year yes I've found my faith and have become interested in religion ( Christianity ) I've always been agnostic purely because of the music scene I was involved in but with an older wiser head and the troubles of the last year if religion can give me clarity then bring it on

No not really, I was christened but that's really it. I'm not anti-religion, I think it can bring people together, but it can also be quite dangerous when you turn people on others, but that's always going to happen with groups of people.

I was interested in Judaism a little a few years back, I wasn't really taught much about it in school, especially when my RE lessons were about as civilised as chimps at the zoo, literally.

me <-----atheist
it's hard for me to belive wen it comes to impotent things,
i bleive/assume that my laptop will work tomory as it did today even if i dont know that, its far from iposible that tomorow will be the day for the next OS crash/re-instaletion, but if the issue is too important like religion*/supernational ideas/life after deth then the wish for some of it being true dosent work, i need to be convinsd i cant "buy it" just cos t will make me feel better regarles of how much i wanted to.

i've noticed that many religious people i meet try to separate them self from a concrete believe in the heaven/god/supernatural, they claim it's more complexed...., ofc i can't understand what they mean... never have. don't they take that part series or is it just wishful thinking... like in "well everything is possible..." "who know what happens when we die"

*im now defining religion for its "supernatrual part" like heven,god and more...., not for it's a life-filosofi/value system/culture/ideology part that many religions contain as well, but without the supernatural i wouldn't call them religions.

i was brought up a Christian, in fact my parents were Christian missionary's but it never did anything for me, over a long period of years i lost my faith(it was only there because of being brought up that way, i don't actually think people should be allowed to impart their religion on children, if you want religion fine, find it when you are old enough to think about it, don't believe in something because your parents told you too. if as an adult you find faith on your own that's great for you but don't bring children in to it, i know that that's probably an unpopular opinion but i just thought id say it).

in terms of my current beliefs, i cant disprove god just like religious people cant prove one so im not an atheist im agnostic, that being said i am cynical of a god and am pretty sure that if god exists it wouldn't be a god of a organised human religion.

I was raised as a Methodist christian,but lost touch with it after a while. I now use the term agnostic theist to describe my faith.

I find it sad that most aspies are agnostic or atheist, but it's not surprising. It's our way of thinking and our understanding of the world. We hate being deceived and we are very logical. Most NT (neurotypical aka normal) people are able to believe in a higher power without so much need for facts and science - why I don't know.

For me, it took work. I had to understand how it was possible and then really look at the logic behind it all and examine the evidence (there's surprisingly a lot).

I didn't get what the deal was with baptism and being "born again", or the need for forgiveness, or prayer, or well... any of it, it was like a big jigsaw puzzle. It just didn't make sense to me. I had to have explanations for basically everything and figure out how it all fit together. And I had to have proof.

I've always had religion pushed on me by family since I was a kid but it never clicked. It was my own quest for answers as well as my own extensive research and personal experiences that led me to the conclusions I've made and my religious beliefs.

Since I became a Christian, I'm actually happy. I've made a lot of surprising changes.. I used to hate hugs, they made me uncomfortable but now they're awesome at least with people I like. I no longer feel like I have to act like something I'm not to fit in, I'm able to be myself and I'm still accepted. I've had only positive things come from being a Christian.

Unfortunately, I am still mostly mute and its very frustrating, but many of the things I once struggled with like depression and anxiety are gone or don't bother me so much. I still have meltdowns but not as bad or as frequent.

There's a lot more, so much I could probably write a whole book on the topic.

Of course for me, not just any Christian denomination would work, as they couldn't withstand my scrutiny and intense criticism.

I also determined that every church is different, what really makes up the church is not the building or the doctrines, it's the people if they actually have the spirit of God working in them. Fascinating stuff!

Yes, I do follow a religion, but go lightly on the social aspects (predictably I guess) doing the minimal ammount to stay connected. But it is a very important part of my inner life/well being.

These are just my beliefs; I am not stating them as fact

While I was raised w/ my family as lax non-denominational Christians, I started to stray in my teens and have now become an agnostic, semi-nihililistic existentialist. That just means that I'm not sure if God exists (though I don't think he does), I'm kinda just a tiny, fading speck of dust in the ever-expanding universe (though I've accepted and am ok with that), and I'm trying to find my purpose in life (other than just passing on my DNA).

Last edited:
It is not sad, it's our belief. You probably wouldn't be happy with me saying it's sad you're a theist, it works both ways.

i agree very much and im glad you said something as i was about to and wouldn't want to upset anyone, on a side note i am happy for blue skies for finding something that makes her feel better and cope with her Asperger's, for me it was the opposite losing my faith has helped me feel better and cope with my Asperger's better (i fell so much more free).

(It doesn't matter what religion you believe in or what denomination.)

Are you an atheist, agnostic, or do you believe in a god?

I was an agnostic until this past year. I'm now a devout Christian.

I have a very logical mindset. I like science and facts, figuring out things work. We will never fully understand everything in our world so I always try to keep an open mind. It took a lot to convince me to actually believe in something I can't see.

So I'm curious...

To all those on the spectrum, what do you believe in and how important is religion to you?

For me a jaded ministers son who has seen it all...I have come full circle and it is everything now.

I have used my autistic pattern powers to reconcile logic, truth, natural law, science, the true nature and origin of God....everything!

And I'm paying a terrible price for it....I've mange to to really step in it big time, and make my self ground zero!
But I'm okay with it! :) I'll survive some how, and hopefully do some good before my luck runs out!

P.S. Science doesn't contradict God...and I figured out how to prove that...a little too well.:eek:

Welcome to the good team :innocent:@blueskies ,the game is about to heat up world wide...I think?

New Threads

Top Bottom