• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are you nostalgic?

At my age, I have got a lot of memories. My wife and I both miss our kids when they were at home. As for me, I have a lot of good memories of all of the toys that I have had. Mostly dirt bikes and snowmobiles. Of course I can't have these toys anymore and I miss all the fun. The only toy that my wife allows me to have is a Jeep. It's fun but the darn thing won't do wheelies!

At my age, I have got a lot of memories. My wife and I both miss our kids when they were at home. As for me, I have a lot of good memories of all of the toys that I have had. Mostly dirt bikes and snowmobiles. Of course I can't have these toys anymore and I miss all the fun. The only toy that my wife allows me to have is a Jeep. It's fun but the darn thing won't do wheelies!

I like jeeps. My current car is a jeep.

I like jeeps. My current car is a jeep.

We have always had a car and a pickup, still do. Now we have two Jeeps. We have the car and the pickup because we need them. The Jeeps are toys, his and hers. Here in Idaho, we have a lot of back country to explore and we do a lot of exploring.

No, not really, though certain smells or songs can trigger really powerful images in my mind - ...

oh yes,
I forgot about songs :)

There was quite a positive vibe attached to songs in our house growing up.

More so songs from the late 50s, 60s & 70s charts.

The only toy that my wife allows me to have is a Jeep. It's fun but the darn thing won't do wheelies!

What are the parameters for a 'wheelie'?

What distance travelled on just the two back wheels would count as a wheelie? :D

...I'm thinking heavy petrol engine, undulating seriously steep incline...? :)

roll bars, harnesses and paramedics? :)

I am so nostalgic and love the things in my childhood. It was a peaceful time where there was no expectations on me, everything was new therefore fun, and with my autism growing up, everything felt super vivid to me so I have so many amazing memories as a young child. I tend to go back and watch child shows on repeat because it provides me comfort. Shows like oswald, franklin and little bear were so relaxing for me to watch in the morning as a child. It makes me really happy to dwell on my younger childhood. It's a reminder that at one point I was having a really good time.

I am nostalgic for places. And I often revisit places I knew growing up. It's quite a good feeling. I think I always found it easier to attach to places. I always liked to get out and about, often alone. And now when I find new interesting places, or revisit places I like, I collect pebbles or shells from them, or seeds or souvenirs like postcard pictures.

100% I would go back to any time, and if it involved any time after the age of 13, I would do absolutely everything differently, including lots more violence against offenders and lots more arguing with authority figures and so on. Like in "Back to the Future" where he should have punched Biff in the face and told people to F* off, but a lot of times like this.

"Back to the Future" is a fantastic, very sweet movie, but it creates some thing involving sexual assault where violence is justified and not confusing to decide to engage in. My experiences were much more confusing, and only in hindsight, do I see that I should have punched some people in the face and told authority figures where they could shove things.

Last edited:
There is a Japanese word that describes the beauty, wistfulness and sadness that can accompany the feeling of nostalgia perfectly - mono-no-aware. All things are temporary, and intensely beautiful for that reason. Sometimes it hits you hard, completely out of the blue.

What are the parameters for a 'wheelie'?

What distance travelled on just the two back wheels would count as a wheelie? :D

...I'm thinking heavy petrol engine, undulating seriously steep incline...? :)

roll bars, harnesses and paramedics? :)

I was referring to my younger days on a very powerful dirt bike. I used to ride a lot of mountain trails. When I would come to a straight section, I would snap the throttle open and ride a wheelie to the next turn. It gives you that "shot out of a canon" feeling. For me it wasn't just the speed, the feeling of very hard acceleration is a hoot. I really miss those days.

Those jeep excursions are fun. My ex wasn't into that. He needed alone time.

I need my alone time also and my wife knows that. Sometimes my alone time comes in the Black Jeep. She is OK with that, a lot more than my younger days when I used to go riding alone.

Really difficult to wrap my finger around nostalgia. Some of it good, some of it bad.

I even feel like living in the past in this modern time of our society. I sometimes feel new isn't always the greatest and hottest thing. Sometimes, it's okay to be stuck in the past.

Here I am with songs in my music collection that date to almost the 40's!:D

New Threads

Top Bottom