• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are we robotic?

Ray Nite

Bp agent
Autistic people, supposedly super smart and full of colors. I normally feel calm and full of confidence but lately I'm looking back. I see a common pattern in autistic nerds, creating ocs.

It seems harmless but making ocs pertaining to one fandom seems unhealthy for the creative mind. Anyone else who has thoughts on this?

We are lifeforms who interpret the world solely through electrical signals sent to the brain. Huge implications but i would say that's robotic.

Anyway you seem to be more focused on Ocs (original creative story?) If it's what inspires you create i see no harm it. If your fandom ever dies for that series or if you become interested in something else you can use what was learned from your Ocs in other creative works. Using the groundwork of a successful series isn't a bad idea.

When it comes to creations there are still guidelines and rules to be followed which limits creativity but ultimately will make the project more successful. Music is thought to be creative but when you actually get into music production there are so many limitations in place that must be followed. For the most part... you have to get "creative" with what you can within the narrow structure.

Our own creativity is confined by what's desirable to the world because we grew up thinking those limited structures was creativity. If that makes sense to you.

We may see things differently to, for want of a better word, normal people, but contrary to popular belief, we are NOT "different", we're just as "normal" as they are (in fact define "normal"?!)

Lots of false and unintelligible assumptions. For example saying Austistics are:

Supersmart

Full of Colors (?)

Nerds

Making ocs (?) in fandoms.

No self respecting Robot would make so many mistakes. You are only human.

We are the most complex machine ever created , life is the most complex creation anyway.

In my opinion this topic only exist because we clearly overestimating what artificial machine can do ,what they are.

For sure automatisation of process is amazing and change everything but this is just a process on a big scale,or done very fast.

Machines can do things faster than us , without fatigue etc, but they still operate within the realm of the purpose they serve by design.

What is OCS? , I miss the point of your topic I think xD

Autistic people aren't robotic. Many of us are very emotional and expressive. We may have trouble expressing our thoughts and feelings, but it doesn't mean we don't have complex mental and emotional worlds. Making OC's isn't robotic. In fact, I think it's a sign of creativity.

I've heard this before. We have our way of doing things that is special and unique. Don't think we're robots though.

To be honest, you're probably better off posting this in a different section. I'm going to take a wild guess, and say that ALOT of people checking this out dont know what "OC" means here or what it has to do with a "fandom" or any of that.

For those wondering, "OC" stands for "original character". "OCs" is just the plural of that.

Typically this entails taking an already-existing property... say, Star Wars for instance... and making your own character to fit into that universe/story/game/movie/whatever. What happens with that character afterwards could be all sorts of things... perhaps a written story (usually) or actual drawn art (less common) or so on. Among the geek crowd this whole concept is EXTREMELY common. Some might say, too common. Outside of the geek crowd, however... not so much. Bring up OCs and related topics in a place like this, and you're likely to just confuse many.

Robots are supposed to be unemotional, never make mistakes, and see no value in art or music. So I'm definitely not a robot. I sometimes wish I was but I'd have to be a cute, sentient robot, like Astroboy or Jenny from My Life as a Teenaged Robot.

@Ray Nite

What about making up original characters for a pre-existing
work strikes you as unhealthy? You say "it seems harmless..."

What specifically would you say is the harm?

@Ray Nite

What about making up original characters for a pre-existing
work strikes you as unhealthy? You say "it seems harmless..."

What specifically would you say is the harm?
You misinterpreted my passage lmao. How would it look if I drew mlps and nothing else?

You misinterpreted my passage lmao. How would it look if I drew mlps and nothing else?

It would look like you're a normal enthusiastic fan of the series. Your behavior is common.

Honestly, you're seeing a problem where none exists. This is not some screwball exception that only occurs with autism: it's a common trait in the "geek" community at large. Many people will have a big favorite thing that they're *really* into, and that they focus heavily on. It's just how it goes, even for NTs. You could say it's part of being a geek/nerd/whatever term you want to use.

And note that I'm not saying this as some sort of outsider or something. I'm way more obsessive than most people even among the overall geek community, and even disregarding that, I"ve been a part of the whole geek thing for a long time.

How would it look if I drew mlps and nothing else?
What is mlps???? Ocs??? Could you please write out these acronyms in full and explain the topic in greater detail? This is an international forum with people from all different backgrounds, cultures and pasttimes, don't assume that we are all automatically going to know what you are referring to.

What is mlps???? Ocs??? Could you please write out these acronyms in full and explain the topic in greater detail? This is an international forum with people from all different backgrounds, cultures and pasttimes, don't assume that we are all automatically going to know what you are referring to.

As I explained above, "OC" is "original character". See my earlier post for description/explanation.

As for MLP, it *probably* stands for My Little Pony, being that this is the internet and there's the whole "brony" thing that's so popular. The OP can correct me if I'm wrong on that and they actually meant something else with that abbreviation. I'm pretty sure that's it though. It's a big fandom and people do indeed frequently create their own characters and make stories/art about that.

I dont understand that one at all myself, but... to each their own, yeah?

As I explained above, "OC" is "original character". See my earlier post for description/explanation.

As for MLP, it *probably* stands for My Little Pony, being that this is the internet and there's the whole "brony" thing that's so popular. The OP can correct me if I'm wrong on that and they actually meant something else with that abbreviation. I'm pretty sure that's it though. It's a big fandom and people do indeed frequently create their own characters and make stories/art about that.

I dont understand that one at all myself, but... to each their own, yeah?
ok, thanks for explaining... I think I finally understood it.

This thread is in an autism forum, in a subforum for general autism discussion and not a forum specifically for fandom, so the OP cannot expect people to understand these abbreviations or what the topic is about - more background information is required if people are going to understand and reply to the topic.

Now my reply: I don't think that is is robotic or unhealthy in any way to create stories or original characters in fanfiction. One might base the stories around one character, but the stories can still have any number of plots and sub-plots and be extremely creative and imaginative. After all, nobody ever complained about Arthur Conan Doyle making too many stories about Sherlock Holmes, or accused him of being robotic because his stories were based on the same characters.

After all, nobody ever complained about Arthur Conan Doyle making too many stories about Sherlock Holmes

...and original stories using the same characters have achieved critical and commercial success many times since. The BBC's "Sherlock" with Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman has been an immense international success in particular.
Commercially, properties like Star Trek and Star Wars have made official "OCs" in their own continuities many a time, with new series being set in the same universe. Where there is an appetite for it, many people have fun doing the same as their own creative outlet.

Fanfic varies in quality wildly, but I don't see participating in it as being an autistic preserve, nor have I previously heard of it as a stereotype (Geeks yes as @Misery pointed out, but not specific to autism). Can you point us to some examples of this in action?
Sometimes people can use the idea of being robotic to describe the monotone voice or lack of body language from an autistic person, but I'm at a loss as to how it relates to the things you describe. I'm interested to find out though. Could you perhaps explain your observations or experiences in some more detail so we may better understand?

New Threads

Top Bottom