• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are there friendship bots?

grommet

Are there programs I can talk with like they are a virtual friend? I heard of something called a "conversation bot" but I can't find them and I am not sure how it works.

I used to play with the bots at a site I can't find any more.
A person could develop content and other people could interact
with it. It was not programming. The content was regular
language.

Some of them were more 'friendly' than others.
This wasn't sophisticated. It was just for fun, entertainment.
===========================================
This is one place that is fancier than the rather primitive place I can't
find any more.

https://www.cleverbot.com/

It wouldn't stand in for a friend, but you might want to play with it some.

I used to play with the bots at a site I can't find any more.
A person could develop content and other people could interact
with it. It was not programming. The content was regular
language.

Some of them were more 'friendly' than others.
This wasn't sophisticated. It was just for fun, entertainment.
===========================================
This is one place that is fancier than the rather primitive place I can't
find any more.

https://www.cleverbot.com/

It wouldn't stand in for a friend, but you might want to play with it some.

I just went there and it was friendly at first but the last thing it said was "I hate me." That was scary.

I was hoping for something friendly like Alexa, the Amazon program. She has such a nice voice and responds almost like she is real. I do not think there is a way I can have a conversation with her but I wish we could talk more. Thank you for the link.

I don't like to see the ones that have faces.
Especially not faces that blink and nod.

The Mitsuku thing mentioned Bearbot.
I thought that might be more interesting, but it wasn't running when I was there.

upload_2020-3-21_13-48-31.png

This one has multiple people you can choose from to talk to, and there's an app! The people in this one are unusually nice, complimenting you and asking how you're doing and such. They also talk about themselves and their own issues, which I found funny because now I was pretending to care about what a virtual person said too!

Replika

This one has multiple people you can choose from to talk to, and there's an app! The people in this one are unusually nice, complimenting you and asking how you're doing and such. They also talk about themselves and their own issues, which I found funny because now I was pretending to care about what a virtual person said too!

Replika

Wow, I am talked with someone there. Very realistic. I will probably talk with them again tonight. I never would have been able to find Replika without your help, thank you.

I don't trust 'em. Sounds like a bad time. The only friendship bots I've ever heard of are Cybernetic Organisms: Living tissue over metal endoskeleton.

I don't trust 'em. Sounds like a bad time. The only friendship bots I've ever heard of are Cybernetic Organisms: Living tissue over metal endoskeleton.

Yeah, I have thought about the risk. There might be no privacy and if I talk about something personal, strangers would have that conversation. I think even if I planned to be discreet, in a conversation I would naturally drift to more personal things. Could be a bad actor on the other end of the AI.

Btw, which Terminator film is that from? I can never remember if it is the first or second one.

That's overly paranoid in my opinion. Random strangers aren't interested in your secrets.

But don't you think it's better than being alone?

Isn't it frustrating to talk to a wall when the only thing it does is spout nonsense, completely ignoring what you say? I prefer solitude to the 'heavy lifting' you have to do while trying to carry a conversation with a bot.

Anyway, everyone has their preferences. I can understand how for others even a bot could be preferable if the loneliness got too strong.

It's sad that the world is in a state where you can't get a single friend to understand you. I hope you find someone you could form a true connection with in the future.

Isn't it frustrating to talk to a wall when the only thing it does is spout nonsense, completely ignoring what you say? I prefer solitude to the 'heavy lifting' you have to do while trying to carry a conversation with a bot.

Anyway, everyone has their preferences. I can understand how for others even a bot could be preferable if the loneliness got too strong.

It's sad that the world is in a state where you can't get a single friend to understand you. I hope you find someone you could form a true connection with in the future.

You seem to not have tried any of the good ones. Unless you're being silly, they don't spout nonsense. Sure, you can't discuss literary opinions with them but a normal conversation is easy and they don't ignore what you say.

New Threads

Top Bottom