• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are there different levels of Asperger Syndrome and High-Functioning Autism?

one girl is statistically irrelevant, and of course her existence shouldn't influence my views.. but I don't even know there are that many, and if I were to encounter one locally, and there is one on this forum, then that would be something.

I am a 30yr old female who yah who has been on like one date. I have a job granted its a grocery store and has been great since I could go to school to get educated in what I wanted and now am looking for something that pays me to be a social worker. I do have AS and I think I look fine. I Just think that its all about perception. I think its hard on anyone to be in a relationship and its even harder for us. As for me I've been on only one date because no one has ever asked me other than that once. I figure when the right person comes along it will happen with some effort and work. Just saying its not a male vs. female thing. I think the same things apply to both but are perceived differently.

you keep saying harder for us, as in it's harder for women than men, i don't get it.

Harder for us as in those of us with AS and the like. I'm not going on about gender differences. I don't think there are gender differences only in perception. I think those of us that have Autism Spectrum disorders have a harder time than those that don't. That's all I am saying.

well i believe male aspies have it harder than female aspies since asperger syndrome makes a person socially-awkward by nature, it hurts guys more than girls since for the reasons i stated before.

The idea that males with Aspergers have it harder than females with Aspergers is debatable, in my estimation being aspergical doesn?t affect your male or female self, it affects your socialization and interaction, therefore that actually would put aspie females on par with aspie males because having Aspergers would discount previous theory, you would now have to study an entirely new target group on which to base your belief, and as there is no research (or is there).

Aspergers affects people to varying degrees sure, but to say it would be the deciding factor in your remaining single would be pointless, a social disorder is superseded by a watered down version of our most basic instinct, which is to procreate

The basic truth is that all the books and all the so called experts in the world can say all the things they like about anything, at the end of the day it all comes to one thing, the individual.
If you want a partner it has to be you that goes out and gets one, any book can't go out and get you a girl, it can suggest ways that might work, it can provide supposition and hypothesis, you are the one that has to do the work and you will interpret the suggestions given in the way that you do, effectively rendering said supposition and hypothesis essentially moot simply because every scenario you find yourself in is one you allowed to happen and it changes with what you are, not the information from a book, regardless of how closely you follow that book.

If you want a woman with which to be friendly, go to the supermarket and go through the checkout, have a chat to the girl and take your groceries and go home, mission accomplished!

But if you want something more substantial then only you can decide how that plays out, every single person in here can give you advice until the cows come home and it wont make a lick of difference because they will all be wrong in your opinion, because what they did isn?t what you will do in a similar situation.

If you work in the sewer and you want a supermodel there is no reason whatsoever you cant have one, but... its probably more realistic to say that simply wont happen, because as you so rightly point out, that is not the way the world works.
Take the show "Beauty and The Geek" for example, those guys where still themselves at the end of the show but they where so much more.

I think the only advise that rings true here is be yourself, be honest with yourself and be fair to yourself and that?s what most people have said in different voices.

First, never be anything your not, any relationship whether it be friends, drinking buddies, lovers, family or any other, never does well when formed on a basis of lies. be yourself at all times and if you think nobody likes you then perhaps it is the people you associate with that are keeping you in a detrimental mind set. It turned out that my own family where my biggest hurdle regarding self esteem.

Second, ask yourself what you are willing to accept, if you only want a specific type of woman and have such a narrow field that is going to limit you so severely as to cut off the supply, simply broaden your scope, if that women has buck teeth or small breasts or she's "fat", all these things are stopping you from being honest with yourself, why cast her aside? She may be absolutely perfect for you, but because she has cross eyes she is suddenly not worthy? Maybe she is looking at you and thinking that you are unsuitable because you part your hair on the left? Stupid isn?t it? Find something in yourself that allows you to see people for what they really are and not what you would like them to be, there are plenty of people out there in the scenarios you suggest but an equal number are legitimate couples that have seen past the flaws to see the person their with.

Third, I ask you to be fair to yourself, if you actually feel you deserve to be with someone, then you do, just try to be sure it's someone you deserve. If you be fair to yourself then you accept that you may not be rich and powerful, you may not be a Calvin Klein underwear model and have a huge... portfolio, there?s every possibility you may not even be worthy of having a statue commissioned of you, but if you are fair to yourself you will realize that you have exactly what someone out there desires, and because there are so many people on this planet, the odds are heavily in you favor that there is actually more than one person that feels you'd be a catch.

Or is it that you merely want to bump uglies? because a fist full of fifties can get you set up at your local tavern/ pub/ bar, there are plenty of women (and men) that are so desperate for love they are willing to give away sex to see if they?ve found love with the next bloke that walks in, so, line up at the bar, buy lots of booze for lots of ladies and see what happens, if you like alcohol and women who drink it then your in like Flynn.

Last edited:
i bet if i was a girl i would have had a boyfriend a very long time ago

And with that, you could've ended up with an abusive boyfriend who raped you... or might have beaten you up.

Srsly... this Schroedinger's cat experiment argument is silly. What if...

Also; let's keep making a bit of sense and don't tell me "I rather would've had an abusive boyfriend than none at all"... because you know that's ********.

This may come across as rude but this is just getting silly now....

What exactly do you want popculturegeeknerd06? Do you want everyone here to say oh there there never mind your totally right, women have it easier, men are so hard done by, etc etc?

You've been given some really good advice, views etc and yet you still insist that YOU are right that men have it harder then women. So lets go with that then, men have it harder then women...so now what? What exactly are you hoping to achieve by getting people to agree with you about this subject?

Personally I think your looking for an excuse, some reason beyond your control for why you haven't got a partner..."oh I can't change this situation because I'm a man, I'm doomed....if I was a woman it would be totally different I'd have men falling at my feet".

Again from my perspective if this is the attitude your giving off THAT is what is keeping the women away, I've seen many many men with AS on forums who have not had a single date but although they may feel sorry for themselves and complain now and again on the whole they just get on with things, dwelling on things is not going to make it any better it's just going to make you bitter and push people away.

Everyone gets down, everyone has crap days, everyone has days when they feel the world is against them and that nothing will ever change. It's not just you there are hundreds of thousands of people in the same situation as you. They have trouble finding work, they can't get dates etc but like I said they just get on with it and most will manage to change that situation by having a positive attitude or at the very least not being so bitter about it.

To put it another way lets say 2 women want to date you, neither have been on a date before, neither are working they both have AS. Girl A talks about her day to day life, some of the stuff she likes doing, etc...then there is Girl B who constantly complains about how crap everything is, how she can't get a job, can't get a date and how everything is so unfair...which one would you want to date? Hopefully you can see what I'm getting at? but just to spell it out a bitter attitude will not help things at all it will only make you feel worse and possibly even make the situation worse by keeping potential dates at arms length. So instead of complaining about everything why not start talking about yourself, what you like to do, your favourite films, the last book you read or whatever.

Oh and trust me loving and being assaulted is most definitely not better then never having loved at all!

AZ83: you took the words right out of my mouth. Bveen tbinking on how to say that. So I agree with her on both statments. Abuse is not even something to joke about. I really hope that what she said helped you.

girls don't need confidence, they can be bratty, boring, have no life, have no social-skills, no conversation-skills, have low self-esteem, have no goals or passions, and they can still get a guy as long as they are hot, cute, pretty.

girls are allowed to be insecure but we guys are not, pisses me off

but still you women get to have the final say, you just have to welcome or deny advances.

i don't get why i should be glad, lucky to be born male, whats the big deal with periods, pregnancy, childbirth?

i bet if i was a girl i would have had a boyfriend a very long time ago

And with that, you could've ended up with an abusive boyfriend who raped you... or might have beaten you up.

Srsly... this Schroedinger's cat experiment argument is silly. What if...

Also; let's keep making a bit of sense and don't tell me "I rather would've had an abusive boyfriend than none at all"... because you know that's ********.
yeah i would rather have loved and lost than to never have loved at all

i would date the girl who has a bad, negative attitude, as long as she was cute, pretty.

So as long as a girl is 'hot' you don't give a damn about her personality or attitude or anything...hmmmm...I wonder....

images

if any of you read failblog, membase etc you'll know what I'm getting at here

:D

well i get very jealous at guys who have all the luck, and girls who don't have to do jackshit in order to get a boyfriend.

Ok dude. This thread is 5 pages long. 4 pages of people helping you with advice, pep-talks, and the classic friendly AC treatment. Then theres the last page of you refusing to listen to us. I'm really trying to not sound rude or insensitive but you are going to have to take the initiative and fix things yourself. We've done all we can do, considering that we're typing words to you from a computer screen.

Here's some motivation: I went on a date 6 hours after I drilled a hole in my leg at work. Drilled a hole in my leg. With a concrete drill. I'm pretty sure that displays that men and women are both equal in the dating game, considering that I was stupid enough to injure myself that badly.

Oh, and she was the one that initiated the bowling date.

New Threads

Top Bottom