• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are there any smells you cannot tolerate?

Old books.

I hate it, because that means I can't read them without holding my breath, and that slows me down. It feels like I'm committing age-discrimination.

I totally get that....I mean, I can tolerate it, but it's definitely not a pleasant smell for me. I see other people say they love the smell, and I'm over here thinking to myself, "Why, it smells like a 20 year old urine stain"

-- hot peanut butter (when washing a knife/plate that has peanut butter on it under hot water, for example)
-- almost all perfumes
-- diesel exhaust
-- bleach

Anything with a sulphur smell, eggs/matches etc.
The place where i'm living now uses well water which has this strong sulphur smell. I have to drink bottled water all the time. All the water in the house comes from the well, so taking showers/washing dishes is difficult to do.
Cooking oil when used to fry food.
Barbecued food.
When several perfume smells are mixed together.
Can't stand vomit smell either, can't eat spaghetti O's
Because it tastes like vomit to me.

Does it have to be a smell most people like or don't mind? I'm not especially turned off by smells more than most people, but fish and seafood raw or cooked, cheap perfume, tar, and the bodily fluids constantly oozing out of humans is just nasty.:mask:

Chicken! i dont know what it is but when its cooking I feel so sickly :eek: also the air fresher tree thingys they put in cars...

This is an odd one, but the smell of crushed ants. A lot of ants end up in my house, and whenever I squish them with my hand or a sponge or whatever, they release a smell like very strong cleaner. I hate it, if there's a lot of them it makes me gag. Or if I squish one with my finger, forget, and bring my hand near my face.

I have a strong sniffer, so I have a LOT of aversions to smells:
Microwave Popcorn - worst smell ever for me and will often cause me to throw up
Sour cream
Dirty or unwashed hair, depending on the person, even end of the day hair
"cheap" perfume (I can always tell the difference) or the wrong perfume on a person, cheap or otherwise
Puppy breath (dog breath doesn't bother me a bit, but puppy breath smells like vomit)
Zoos (not necessarily animals themselves, but maybe the combination of all of them together)
Too many people crowded around me (because it's a culmination of too many smells, good and bad)
Coffee (and even worse, someone with coffee breath)
Then again, breath in general - don't think I've ever smelled someone's breath and liked it
Cigarette smoke and flavored vapes
And probably dozens of other things I can't think of at the moment

Paperback books...I always buy hardbound because the paper in a paperback smells weird...just thought of that one

Despite smoking for many years (and quiting,) I have a hypersensitive nose for smells. The absolute worse for me is cooking odors. I have spent thousands of dollars upgrading our kitchen ventilation system because cooking odors bother me so much. The other odor I have a difficult time dealing with are perfumes and cologns. Most smell like bug spray. Often times just being around someone who has perfume will cause the smell to stick to my shirt and I have to change my shirt. And there is one more thing, I can smell different races of people. I've been called racist for taling about it. But, I can smell the difference between a caucasion, black, hispanic, Indian and even the different Asian groups. For example, I can distinguish between Thai, Cambodian, Vietnamese, etc. Wierd, I know...

New Threads

Top Bottom