• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are there any smells you cannot tolerate?

If you would, what smells do you absolutely hate, or cannot tolerate?

For example a list of some of my hated smells:
- Perfume.
- Melted Butter.
- Most Peanut Butter, except "good brands" like Jif.
- Most Plants.
- Mango.
- Most Bathrooms, I have to hold my breath, or cover my nose. Even if it's hours after someone used it, and it has been cleaned.

Last edited:
Cooking meats, to me it's burning carcass which is disgusting, it might as well be a burning human being and I've been vegetarian for 22 years so far.

I don't think I'm in the minority here, it's definitely not just an autistic thing and I think I'm pretty much stating the obvious, but I definitely don't like going into a toilet straight after someone else has just had a number 2 Going into my own bathroom is okay though because only I use it, but I hate it when someone else asks me to use the toilet. I can't say I enjoy smelling and cleaning the cat litter tray either, but I've got more used to it, when I first had a cat I had a severe sense of disgust from doing it lol! :D

I have a strange disgust towards most butter and spreads, if I smell them on toast or cooking I similarly have a non logical sense of disgust. There's only 1 brand I will eat at the moment, this has been the case since I was a young child and I've only ever eat 2 brands of butter / spread since all this started. I have a feeling this is autistic related because even though I know it's not logical, I can't stop the feeling of disgust even for the smell.

Last edited:
Apart from the obvious toilet smells / rotting food or flesh,
Lemon.
Eggs.
Artificial aromas - most perfumes.

There isn't a nice way of saying this without making people's stomachs turn, so I'll just say it as it is:
Animal Excrement.

Raw fish, there's an indoor market in my city that sells fresh fish at one end. Ever since I was a kid, I've held my breath going through that end.

Freshly cut grass, that smell you get from roads and pavements when it rains after a long dry spell, many perfumes (they're too strong), broccoli.

Rotting/Spoiled stuff = Instant gag

Garlic

So I am definately not a zombie, but I might be a vampire. If I'm still on the forum in another 500 yrs, you'll know why.

Poop and vomit. I can't even remain in proximity. I will gag and/or get sick. In addition I can't stand to listen to someone vomiting. I have to plug my ears. As for my getting sick, I only allow myself to vomit once per decade. Its been working out so far.

I don't know of anyone that really tolerates the smell of excrement or vomit. I used to dry heave every time I changed my kids. Really unpleasant but something you had to do...

Huh? I am confused.... -- I put good brand inside of quotation marks as if it's good or not is up to one owns interpretation. I may of used quotation marks wrongly though, I'm not entirely sure.
You're right. PB is PB:) but back to mangos. They smell like chicken when over ripe or under cared for. I understood your meaning, but was annunciating it.

I have a very developed sense of smell, and often react to smells others don't notice, although over the years I have got ok at masking any behaviour that might seem inappropriate around this. I remember in my early 20s helping in a hostel where people sometimes left their rooms in a vile state on departure just making myself breathe through my mouth and clean up the room, someone else needed it so gotta be done.

I have difficulty with perfumes and aftershaves and people who spritz these on enclosed public transport however I don't challenge people, just gag silently. Also I ve noticed with the stepped seats in buses there can be some strong body odours wafting my way if I sit in certain seats. Breathing through the mouth or changing seats surreptitiously usually helps.

Some flower scents such as lilies are unpleasantly overwhelming also hyacinths. When the moors were on fire recently I smelt acridity a lot though miles from the area, and my breathing was a little affected.

In a good way I can enjoy early morning outdoors scents and flowers.

The smell of pork chops cooking,I like bacon or ham but when it comes to unsmoked pork i don’t know why but I find the smell or even taste of pork chops repulsive.

Raw fish, there's an indoor market in my city that sells fresh fish at one end. Ever since I was a kid, I've held my breath going through that end.

Freshly cut grass, that smell you get from roads and pavements when it rains after a long dry spell, many perfumes (they're too strong), broccoli.
I actually really like the smell when it rains after a long dry spell, it clears the dust away and freshens things up, but when it's hot I'm always hoping for rain because I personally find it very unpleasant, we've had a lot of hot weather in the UK this Summer so far and we finally had a little rain just under 2 days ago after over a month of totally dry weather that's mostly been hot. I actually stood out in it and could smell that exact distinctive smell we've been talking about, unfortunately it looks like it's going to be unpleasantly hot yet again during next week with no sign of rain again for a while and we didn't have close to enough rain which can be seen by the yellow coloured** grass and dried up plants. I even quite like the smell of freshly cut grass which is something I won't be experiencing until it starts raining normally again after the grass recovers and starts growing again. Edit: I think some people dislike this smell more than most because they suffer from hay fever and that's understandable.

** "colour" and thus "coloured" is correctly spelt in the UK, it's spelt "color" and thus "colored" in the US, see https://www.grammarly.com/blog/color-colour/ for more.

Last edited:
I actually really like the smell when it rains after a long dry spell, it clears the dust away and freshens things up, but when it's hot I'm always hoping for rain because I personally find it very unpleasant, we've had a lot of hot weather in the UK this Summer so far and we finally had a little rain just under 2 days ago after over a month of totally dry weather that's mostly been hot, I actually stood out in it and could smell that exact distinctive smell we've been talking about, unfortunately it looks like it's going to be unpleasantly hot yet again during next week with no sign of rain again for a while and we didn't have close to enough rain which can be seen by the yellow coloured** grass and dried up plants. I even quite like the smell of freshly cut grass which is something I won't be experiencing until it starts raining normally again after the grass recovers and starts growing again.

** "colour" and thus "coloured" is correctly spelt in the UK, it's spelt "color" and thus "colored" in the US, see https://www.grammarly.com/blog/color-colour/ for more.

I do not cope well in hot weather, so this heatwave is unpleasant. All the lawns on my street are yellow, bar one because the guy goes out and waters it every day. Wales has never known this long without rain :p

I do not cope well in hot weather, so this heatwave is unpleasant. All the lawns on my street are yellow, bar one because the guy goes out and waters it every day. Wales has never known this long without rain :p
We got rain here where I am in England ,must be almost Scotland as it seems to get a lot of rain and a lot of the plants seem to be native to Scotland as well.
It's very windy today also hot

Perfume is the big one that comes to mind. I'm sure there are others but that's the really big one for me, they make my stomach turn and the smell clings and stays with me for hours. It's true of all perfumes, regardless of the scent (I can't tell most of them apart anyway), they're like an assault. I can only wear some essential oils for scent.

Old books.

I hate it, because that means I can't read them without holding my breath, and that slows me down. It feels like I'm committing age-discrimination.

New Threads

Top Bottom