• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are many people with Asperger's scapegoated by family and society?

Mia

V.I.P Member
Were you scapegoated by your family or by people you thought of as friends? Were you the one who was excluded or discussed as problematic or difficult or strange? Do you think it might have been because you had Asperger's?

Have recently come to the conclusion that being the family scapegoat or black sheep, had much to do with being honest and ethical. That thinking in such a way angered many, that perceiving the world by the 'rules' often made enemies of people who had to be right at all times. This seems to be a common theme for many people on the spectrum. That alienation from people in general began in the home.

"And that is exactly how the Scapegoat identity works. As a naturally sensitive or empathic child grows up in the home with parents and others who cannot be "wrong," who blame the child for things they themselves have done or who otherwise refuse to take responsibility for their own inner lives, the child may begin to empathize with, then carry, then identify with all of the unresolved flotsam and jetsam floating around in this home. Sensitive and empathic children--not having been taught how to use empathy--can be used by family, whether intentionally or unintentionally, as the carrier of the "sins" of the family. Children are seeking mirrors, as we've said in other blogs, that define them. If the only mirror is one that defines the child as the guilty party or the responsible one, a sensitive child, who longs for connection, will begin to define him or herself accordingly.

As that child grows he will encounter more and more of the world, but will come from the same exact dynamic established at home. Why? Because he has identified with this way of interacting. He thinks it's who he is. He is the guilty one. The one who must constantly take responsibility for others emotions and "sins" because this is just what he does. He cares a great deal for others--as a natural part of his authenticity--but this caring has been contorted, by this defined identity, into carrying.

So now, this child, whose gift it was to be empathic, has now been cursed. She will not use her empathy as recognition of what others are feeling, and the ability to mirror that back to them so that they can then use that information for their own growth. She will use her gift of empathy to carry other's burdens of guilt, responsibility and emotion. And in so doing, she will somehow prove to herself that she is not the bad person she senses that she is.

This sense of unworthiness carried deep within and below every good deed done by the Scapegoat originates from having carried the guilt and responsibility for others' "sins." This child has taken on these "wrongs" and "sins" as if they should, indeed, belong to him. And he feels this sense of wrongness as if it actually defines him. He is now, officially the Scapegoat--for he has taken the "sins" of others away."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/traversing-the-inner-terrain/201101/the-scapegoat-identity

That is definitely the case with me! I am only just beginning to heal from that and give myself permission to not let people guilt trip me or to accept the reality others try to impose upon me. My younger sister still tries to scapegoat me, by expecting me to clean up the crap that she or my other younger brother have made, even though they are full fledged adults!

Yep. My mum doesn't comprehend why I shouldered so much when she never explicitly burdened me with any thing. She doesn't get that her nuanced, and probably subconscious, words and actions (often incongruous with each other) affected me. It is I with the problem; she didn't do a thing to cause it. I cannot change her, so it is up to me to swallow the daily bitter pill of finding ways to repair our relationship. No matter that my proverbial spine is being broken as it is invisible to everyone.

My visible quirks are my rainbow fleece, but my rich and senstive inner being is a whole universe that emits nothing. People either tolerate or not tolerate me. There is no hate or love. The deciding feature is simply the colour of my fleece. If I allow anyone portal entrance to my guarded universe, no one makes it through. Like the Sleeping Beauty story, someone will make it past the thorny entrance one day... But, in the mean time, no one has seen the pricelessness of the effort.

Were you scapegoated by your family or by people you thought of as friends? Were you the one who was excluded or discussed as problematic or difficult or strange? Do you think it might have been because you had Asperger's?

Have recently come to the conclusion that being the family scapegoat or black sheep, had much to do with being honest and ethical. That thinking in such a way angered many, that perceiving the world by the 'rules' often made enemies of people who had to be right at all times. This seems to be a common theme for many people on the spectrum. That alienation from people in general began in the home.

"And that is exactly how the Scapegoat identity works. As a naturally sensitive or empathic child grows up in the home with parents and others who cannot be "wrong," who blame the child for things they themselves have done or who otherwise refuse to take responsibility for their own inner lives, the child may begin to empathize with, then carry, then identify with all of the unresolved flotsam and jetsam floating around in this home. Sensitive and empathic children--not having been taught how to use empathy--can be used by family, whether intentionally or unintentionally, as the carrier of the "sins" of the family. Children are seeking mirrors, as we've said in other blogs, that define them. If the only mirror is one that defines the child as the guilty party or the responsible one, a sensitive child, who longs for connection, will begin to define him or herself accordingly.

As that child grows he will encounter more and more of the world, but will come from the same exact dynamic established at home. Why? Because he has identified with this way of interacting. He thinks it's who he is. He is the guilty one. The one who must constantly take responsibility for others emotions and "sins" because this is just what he does. He cares a great deal for others--as a natural part of his authenticity--but this caring has been contorted, by this defined identity, into carrying.

So now, this child, whose gift it was to be empathic, has now been cursed. She will not use her empathy as recognition of what others are feeling, and the ability to mirror that back to them so that they can then use that information for their own growth. She will use her gift of empathy to carry other's burdens of guilt, responsibility and emotion. And in so doing, she will somehow prove to herself that she is not the bad person she senses that she is.

This sense of unworthiness carried deep within and below every good deed done by the Scapegoat originates from having carried the guilt and responsibility for others' "sins." This child has taken on these "wrongs" and "sins" as if they should, indeed, belong to him. And he feels this sense of wrongness as if it actually defines him. He is now, officially the Scapegoat--for he has taken the "sins" of others away."

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/traversing-the-inner-terrain/201101/the-scapegoat-identity

Absolutely was the case for me. I was always the target of friends and relatives both pulling pranks on me, taking advantage of my difficulties to make fun of. They were always finding humiliating jokes to play on me and I always fell for their pretense of sincerity. I would always respond with tears and running to my room. At 15, I had had enough, couldn't take it anymore and ran away from home. They didn't care enough to report me missing. They were just glad that I wasn't burdening them anymore.

When I was age fifty-four, two years ago, only the death of the "mother," or the primary malignant narcissist freed my bound and trapped, tormented psyche from the Stockholm syndrome in which I was prisoner. It took me two years to understand, to them, I was like the worm they needed to process their **** they refused to handle correctly.

That death along with four older much larger siblings physically assaulted me later that day 'it' passed, when their emotional, mental and spiritual abuse proved not able to be controlling me.

It's taken me all this time, and 100% NO Contact with 99% of those involved, to get a clear and separated from the fog handle on what, who, why, how, when the abuses, neglect, and traumas did to my evolving brain, heart, body, memories and Spirit. The seventh of eight offspring, and as an Asperger's individual(newly diagnosed), I was a sitting target for all the pain and lies and secrets that the family of origin carried through generations of invisible, secret sexual abuses done to the innocent all under the guise and safety of religion. Adding that assault to the mix, I am a miracle to be alive, coherent, aware and still capable and loving and able to truly have empathy, and not become like the others.

This post is on point, at least in what I experienced. And just like the actor who gets stuck in a specific role, that is what happens to the scapegoat and nothing except leaving, and death, can turn it around. People who abuse and those who go along due to ignorance and/or a fear of being hurt, have too much to lose if they, their two faced lies, are made known, and the scapegoat holds all the power, since they see and know the truth.... so they are targeted.

Thank you for posting.

and the scapegoat holds all the power, since they see and know the truth.... so they are targeted.
Thank you for posting.

You're welcome Anada's Phoenix, we see and perceive some of the 'truth' early on in our lives. Not knowing initially that what we understand implicitly, is not the way most people look at the world.

Something similar happened to me, no contact for about five years now. I no longer take on other's drama, or difficulties. That's for them to blunder through. Although they do still try.

Without the internet, it's research capabilities, I would have never been able to piece together, (imagine the amount of books it would have required, and where to look in the first place?) the ideas, concepts, the traits and clues to my situation. I would have spent my life thinking that everything was my fault, that there was something essentially flawed in me. Knowing that's not true, has given me a sense of freedom that I never imagined before.

I first came upon the idea of 'scapegoating' on this old message board: Called; 'When the scapegoat quits'. 2009 July « Whenthescapegoatquits's Blog

Victim,persecutor and rescuer are the three roles on the drama triangle.

The idea is that one person changes roles multiple times depending on who is there.
Scapegoat=victim

The victim is the fortunate one as they are usually the only one able to leave.

Worth a look,for thos in dysfunctional families,like myself :

Karpman
drama triangle.

Have been victim and rescuer, almost never persecutor. And it's all in the past now, but forever defining. It was learning to change that definition that gave me a life.

Fascinating, Fridge. Karpman drama triangle - Wikipedia

Last edited:
Not eating well can pass on allergies to your unborn child, not to mention drinking is asking for trouble too. My mother rarely eats proper nutrient rich veggies. Eating healthy foods can prevent allergies.

I'm allergic to pollen, so I get bad hay fever between May and July. It normally goes away by mid-August. Natural food is very good for you, unlike processed food and alcohol. There's compounds in broccoli that can halt cancer progression, or maybe prevent it. So as they say, eat your greens.

New Threads

Top Bottom