• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Are Aspies more susceptible to substance addictions?

Are Aspies more likely to get addicted?

• Aspies are less likely to get addicted than NT's

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • No more, nor less than NT's

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • Only more prone to addiction if it's a stim

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Aspies are more prone to addictions

Votes: 13 52.0%

• Total voters
My personal situation is:
On one hand I am very rational and I can say no to anything that can hurt me.
On the other hand when I was suicidal and rebell I wanted to take risks because somehow I hated My self and didn't care what happened to me, it's like I wanted to punish myself for some reason. So I am glad I never experimented drugs because I think I would be addicted very quickly.
Alcohol I never liked but I smoke tobacco for 16 years and I got addicted very quickly, but I also quitted quickly when I put my mind to it .
The reason I say I think I would be addicted quickly is because of my taste for routine and sameness: if I eat a chocolate today before going to bed I will want another one tomorrow o_O

The only person I can reply for is myself, and definitely yes, I do have problems with substances. Only certain ones, alcohol I can take or leave, other things not so much.

Speaking from my experience it's Option 1. Still that might be more to do with an addict father than my Autism.
I am unsure of this. It could be possible, though. A reason why I will stay away from addictive substances as much as possible. Not even coffee.

I don't know for sure and haven't read enough literature on it.

My guess is that depending on the exact intent of your question the answer would differ because there's psychological addiction and physical addiction and different substances.

Like in my personal case, I have an addictive personality and psychologically easily get addicted to things drugs or gambling or whatever so I try to be extremely careful about what I put in my body like after surgeries I try to stop pain pills before the Dr recommends because I'm afraid. But there's also a family history of alcoholism and addiction so there's that too.

I'd say absolutely "yes". Given the likelihood of comorbid conditions which in any number of cases may involve the application of prescription medications.

That it's a matter of greater potential exposure more than a consideration of ASD alone.

I would be curious to find out. My late fiance was also autistic, and an addict. Sadly I could tell when he was using because he appeared more "normal" until it got out of control.

Hard to say in general, I assume that we are not prone to addictions more or less than NT's?

I personally am super easy to get addicted to anything un-healthy. And that is the reason I dont do anything. No alcohol, no pot, no tobacco, no candy and no chocolate. Not even sugar free pepsi. xD

Coffee I do drink and for some reason I have managed to keep the consumption in control. And to be honest: I do eat candy and chocolate every now and then. :/

... I think, People being rude particularly people to me interrupt my happiness and 'rhythm' of my day making me feel bad short term feelings of being merry ends to drinking more‎.
Regrets

Wow. This is tough. I had exposure to anything l wanted. Anything. And anything put anywhere on my body parts. But l also saw many people lose everything because of their addictions. I have walked through the valley of death, dolls, whatever. But the best high, a great person that you long to be with. Nothing can touch that high.

New Threads

Top Bottom