• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Applying For A Job In Person

Andrew206

I'm planning to apply for jobs in person, specifically at restaurants in my area. How should I act when I go in to apply in person? What times are good for applying in person? Should I apply even if there are no openings?

How you should act: Confidence, confidence, confidence. Actually brewing confidence if you haven't enough requires a bit of arrogance and entitlement. You deserve that job. You're going to get that job. Make that a mantra.

As for when? My rule is usually 9am-5pm. If it's a restaurant, make sure it's not during their lunch or dinner rush, that's important.

And it never hurts to put in an application, even if they aren't hiring. They might end up needing someone in the future; sometimes you get lucky and get a call.

If they aren’t hiring right now, it makes a good impression if you smile and thank them for their time. Shake their hand if they are looking at you, if they are distracted and not looking at you then don’t. Thats just a general rule.
Wear clean clothes, stand up straight and make sure your fingernails are clipped and clean!
It never hurts to put in an application!
A secret tip....if the employees wear a uniform, wear something in that same color, if you can. It makes the person doing the hiring think “this guy seems to fit right in!”
Good luck!

I would go shortly before a busy period like Christmas, because they often hire extra staff at that time, and leave a copy of your CV with them. But also, check back with them after a couple of weeks - don't let them shelve your CV and forget about you. It might lead to temporary employment, but it's a foot in the door: the chances for you are greatly increased if they have a vacancy later on. My brother found a position this way.

I can't remember the percentage but there is a very large number of employment opportunities going that are not advertised. These are usually in-house jobs. Is it worth applying when there's no advert shown? Yes!

If you are Aspie or have any other ailments, do NOT tell them unless you absolutely have to! They WILL bin your application and shred your CV.

Last edited:
Do not go at the busiest times which are breakfast, lunch or dinner serving hours. Go during lull hours when management have more time to talk with you. Be prepared to tell them what position you are applying for (dish washer, bus boy, waiter, etc, and have a resume, CV or business card to leave behind. If they say they are not hiring, don’t lose hope. There are many potential opportunities out there for you. Smile, thank them, and move in to the next opportunity.

Last edited:
I'm planning to apply for jobs in person, specifically at restaurants in my area. How should I act when I go in to apply in person? What times are good for applying in person? Should I apply even if there are no openings?

Act like you would if you were going in for a pre-arranged job interview. Dress nicely, introduce yourself and explain to staff why you're there; If you're responding to a "help wanted" ad then say so; Otherwise say that you're wondering if they are hiring -- if they say "no", ask if you can you leave them your resume (and, ideally, also a cover letter) in case any positions open up in future.

Go at whichever times have the fewest customers. If you thought a time wouldn't be busy and it turns out that it is busy, try again at a different time (if you can). Applying during quiet times shows consideration and makes it more likely that your resume will actually make it into the hands of whoever does the hiring and then be stored somewhere safe for future reference, rather than being tossed somewhere in a rush and never seen again.

Sometimes positions aren't advertised and I think it's worth applying even if there are no jobs available (advertised or not) because it shows initiative and potentially puts you in a better position to be hired the next time a position opens up.

Be enthusiastic and open to challenges.

A decade ago, we interviewed several intern candidates. One candidate that told me a story about how he dealt with some challenges way outside of his normal job description in his previous job. And when I asked him if he knew X or Y, if he didn't know, he tried to relate it to something he did know and then expressed interest in learning more about it. We hired him because a) He showed a "can-do" attitude and b) he showed a "can do" attitude.

Clean, tidy appearance and washed hair.
Clean hands and short, clean fingernails.
Clean shoes.- in UK a full black shoe is preferred due to health and safety - no trainers or sandals.

( customers have to look at you and imagine you handling their dinner plates) :)

I like what @Gritches mentions about confidence and entitlement.

Also, try to make your smile reach your eyes. A friendly smile can work wonders together with a polite handshake if you get the chance.

Be aware you may not hear back from some but don’t let that stop you. Go for it and try to enjoy it.
Good luck :)

I've always been told of a hidden job market. Companies could need someone but don't advertise it. They see your resume/know about you and it could get you hired. I got a job like that in 2016. Also applying in person it's good to be confident but not cocky.

New Threads

Top Bottom