• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone obsessed with music?

Even on my crap turntable (I'll be getting a new, better one soon), vinyl sounds better, at least with all the older recordings I have. If it's new music, it really depends on how it's mastered, but sometimes with new music the vinyl can sound better too. With all its finickiness, I love it.

Check out ponomusic.com. New audiofile stuff from Neil Young. Not vinyl but quite interesting.

Even on my crap turntable (I'll be getting a new, better one soon), vinyl sounds better, at least with all the older recordings I have. If it's new music, it really depends on how it's mastered, but sometimes with new music the vinyl can sound better too. With all its finickiness, I love it.
I also love those groups like Boston for example that still record new works using the old analog method the same way they did since 1975

I also love those groups like Boston for example that still record new works using the old analog method the same way they did since 1975
A lot of groups actually still record and mix with analog. I know Joanna Newsom's album Ys, for example, was recorded and mixed on 24 tracks of analog tape and (I think) the only digital process involved was the mastering.

A lot of groups actually still record and mix with analog. I know Joanna Newsom's album Ys, for example, was recorded and mixed on 24 tracks of analog tape and (I think) the only digital process involved was the mastering.

Go to ponomusic.com very interesting company Neil Young is envolved with

Got to love the old school process it just sounds better!

Indie, Alternative, Pop, Rock, Country Pop, Techno, House, Ethereal, Trip Hop, Industrial House, Electronic

Heck yes, I'm obsessed! I'm getting my bloody degree in music! I'm a classically-trained trombonist and percussionist. Trombone is my main instrument, despite what my profile picture shows. I'd like to think that I'm rather eclectic, but I just can't stand pop, hip-hop, rap, etc. I just feel that there is very little effort put into these genres, and aren't as musically stimulating as the stuff I listen to. I know I'm probably a minority in this, but I'm sticking to my guns!

I most definitely am obsessed with music, as if my profile picture and college career choices don't give it away enough. I recently made an amazing discovery in Classical Music a couple weeks ago. There was an Icelandic composer (arguably the country's most famous) named Jòn Leifs. He was well known for using a lot of parallel movement, and a huge amount of extreme dynamics and orchestration choices This is present especially in his piece called Hekla, named after the volcano in Iceland. This piece uses a large orchestra, two percussion sections-one onstage, the other off, choir, and organ to create an amazing sound picture. The percussion includes large drums, gongs, cymbals, rocks, cannons, rifles, anvils, and a siren. It's a brilliant piece. Give it a listen!

Nice link. I too have always been obsessed with music, had to listen to it day and night. I really believe musicians with Aspergers are exceptional, like have an advantage. A lot of the greatest musicians have been Aspies.

I most definitely am obsessed with music, as if my profile picture and college career choices don't give it away enough. I recently made an amazing discovery in Classical Music a couple weeks ago. There was an Icelandic composer (arguably the country's most famous) named Jòn Leifs. He was well known for using a lot of parallel movement, and a huge amount of extreme dynamics and orchestration choices This is present especially in his piece called Hekla, named after the volcano in Iceland. This piece uses a large orchestra, two percussion sections-one onstage, the other off, choir, and organ to create an amazing sound picture. The percussion includes large drums, gongs, cymbals, rocks, cannons, rifles, anvils, and a siren. It's a brilliant piece. Give it a listen!

Wow I am loving his compositions!!!! I think I might have a new favourite composer.

I'm finding music to be an auditory 'stim' for me. I find it extremely comforting. I have recently taken up the tin whistle and plan on learning the bodhran. It's a gas and a trip to make your own music.

I'm kind of sort of obsessed with songs and things like playing musical instruments as well as making music by electronic means :D

That's freaking awesome! Thank you for the introduction!

Here is a song I wrote and used the tin whistle heavily in:
Hiding In The Dark | Joel I

That's awesome!
I love it!
First it's Tolkienesc
then it's a little Framptomlike.
Thanks so much for letting me listen.
I've only been playing my whistle for 22 days. I wanted it so badly that I played a paintbrush for 10 days first. Then I got it. I have a Clarke original and I ordered a Clarke Sweetone. What do you have? How long have you been playing? You're very good.
I go to a Celtic gathering once a month with my closest friends. You'd probably like it. We drink home-made beer and some of us play music. I wish you could come and play your whistle : (

Cheers mate

I love the tin whistle! Here is a song I wrote and used the tin whistle heavily in:
Hiding In The Dark | Joel I
Wow I really like the more indie sound of your music and the use of various instruments.

I am also definitely obsessed with music. I was classically trained on the piano and sung in choirs when I was younger. I often wrote lyrics and poems, and would imagine how it sounded. As a child I would tend to sing randomly made up songs while doing something. As a teenager I learned how to play the guitar. I used to think I want to be a musician when I grow up, but it is very difficult and I am not that good. I do not create as much as I used to, but I still listen to music constantly when I am awake. I tend to gravitate more towards strange and experimental music or a mix of genres that I like. Generally I like classical music, metal, avant-guarde (which should be it's own style), and the random rock, pop, etc. band. I also tend to get everything from a particular artist and do extensive research on them and their art to better understand it. I am a fan of the odd keys and disonance, if played properly. I really dislike when the speakers do not work as intended and make a weird sound instead of the music. My pair of earphones broke last week so I was stuck with the free pair that came with my MP3 player, which was terrible and made crackling noises past certain frequences. I quickly bought a new pair.

I find I am happier and have more energy when listening to music (and signing along) at work too (however odd I seem). I will easily notice when someone makes a mistake in playing a piece I am familiar with. I have memorized a huge library of music and tend to even dream of music. I guess that I use music as a way to feel, so if I do not feel a particular emotion listening to music related to that will seem strange to me. If I feel a certain way I have to listen to certain kinds of music that (to me at least) convey that emotion.

I love the mellowness of minor chords my favourite being Em. On a guitar is is simple to play and sounds great, it also sounds wonderful on a piano. It is strangely comforting.

New Threads

Top Bottom