• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone obsessed with music?

I'm not sure. Never thought I was obsessed with music. However whenever I go from REM sleep to consciousness, the first thing that pops into my head is always music of some kind. Not my own thoughts/words per se. Does anyone else experience this regularly?
I wake up every morning with a song stuck in my head--and I don't mean just some catchy tune, or anything. It's a song, and I am hearing the full version, all the parts, running through my mind. It's the strangest thing.

I wake up every morning with a song stuck in my head--and I don't mean just some catchy tune, or anything. It's a song, and I am hearing the full version, all the parts, running through my mind. It's the strangest thing.

Yep...for me it can be a popular song to a jingle to something totally obscure. It IS strange! ;)

Luckily once I'm completely awake it doesn't usually stick in my mind....

I am a working musician and guitar tech for other musicians. I find it very difficult to function without music.

I too think music all the time, even when I'm asleep I have a song on playback in my head. I too hear every component part, every instrument and overdub. I also analyse how the musicians gained that particular sound...

I have similar issues, wyverary. Just yesterday, I was watching Twister, and the scene where "Dusty" has that TV on in his trailer, and Eric Clapton's Motherless Child music video was playing. And ever since then, I've had the lyrics that you hear (If I mistreat you, girl, I sure don't mean no harm.) stuck in my head!

But other times, it'll be just like you describe, wyverary--the whole song runs through my head, all the music, verses, chorus, etc. :)

I am a working musician and guitar tech for other musicians. I find it very difficult to function without music.

I too think music all the time, even when I'm asleep I have a song on playback in my head. I too hear every component part, every instrument and overdub. I also analyse how the musicians gained that particular sound...
Hello Andy,
Welcome to this site, I've only just discovered it myself. I totally relate to what you say about music. I'm always scribbling down lyrics or strumming my guitar or tapping my foot to a song in my head. Its so healing and really helps me cope.

Hello Andy,
Welcome to this site, I've only just discovered it myself. I totally relate to what you say about music. I'm always scribbling down lyrics or strumming my guitar or tapping my foot to a song in my head. Its so healing and really helps me cope.

Thanks for the welcome. I'm still at the stage of trying to discover more about AS, now I finally know what I have. I also find music essential to my well-being. I also use it as a coping mechanism. If I have to go to town or supermarket I find that using my MP3 player on to block out the background noise is really helpful

What kind of equipment did you have (brands eI'.)? I can tell you have discerning taste, and we know that good frequency/sensitivity specs do not quality equipment make. :D

I still don't know how I feel about headphones. I will always take a quality speaker setup over a good headphone rig. My Grados will probably forever be the nicest headphones I will own, but I can definitely understand the appeal.

My current setup is entirely computer-based--bought a decent DAC last year and I will never go back. Wish I had better speakers than my Soundsticks...it will happen eventually. :) I hate MP3s; I will buy the CDs and rip them to lossless, and convert them to high-bitrate mp3 for my iPod, but I refuse to pay for compressed music, and I hate that so much of the market today is for such a format.

ind of equipment did you have (brands etc.)? I can tell you have discerning taste, and we know that good frequency/sensitivity specs do not quality equipment make. :D

I still don't know how I feel about headphones. I will always take a quality speaker setup over a good headphone rig. My Grados will probably forever be the nicest headphones I will own, but I can definitely understand the appeal.

My current setup is entirely computer-based--bought a decent DAC last year and I will never go back. Wish I had better speakers than my Soundsticks...it will happen eventually. :) I hate MP3s; I will buy the CDs and rip them to lossless, and convert them to high-bitrate mp3 for my iPod, but I refuse to pay for compressed music, and I hate that so much of the market today is for such a format.[/QUOTE]
Just reading old posts and came across my obsession

Just going through older posts since Im new here on this forum.
Mcintosh, Revel, Dali, B&W, and Anthem drained my 401k plan dry. Also Sony 4k 65er keeps me fromtoo busy to bother and try to make new friends. Anyone who can understand the previous makes the freinds list. Unfortunately no one I know lives nearby. And of course all the guys I know are into itunes, mp3 and cheap earplugs. Oh well.

Is there anyone here who is obsessed with music?

I'm into Oldies (50's and 60's), a bit of 70's, and New Wave 80's. (ocasional 90's tracks too).

I'm also very sensitive hearing wise, and would be considered what is called an "Audiophile". An audiophile example (instead of trying to explain it):>> I don't like Mp3's as they colorize the high frequencies and add compression artifacts which are unplesant. Now most people here will have absolutely no idea what I'm going on about.

*I love the oldies!!!! and classic rock from 70's as well,
what are your favorite songs Goodiesguy??

-doordoctor

-doordoctor

-doordoctor

Oldies are my favorite too. If you don't have the Sonos system for internet radio, check it out. Oldie stations in lots of countries have higher rez with little or no commercials.

Oldies are my favorite too. If you don't have the Sonos system for internet radio, check it out. Oldie stations in lots of countries have higher rez with little or no commercials.

I dont have any of the internet radio stuff, is sonos free?? as some of them sites are not free (require subscription)

when i listen to oldies, its on XM sirius radio or my youtube favorites

-doordoctor

I dont have any of the internet radio stuff, is sonos free?? as some of them sites are not free (require subscription)

when i listen to oldies, its on XM sirius radio or my youtube favorites

-doordoctor
Sonos is a sort of wireless powered speaker that I think you can hook up to the Internet...any stream you can get on your computer, basically. But yeah, there are a lot of really great radio stations around the world that have Internet streams. I have an app on my phone that can access all of them...it's AWESOME. :D And, of course, I do the same with my computer hooked up to my hi-fi system.

Sonos is a sort of wireless powered speaker that I think you can hook up to the Internet...any stream you can get on your computer, basically. But yeah, there are a lot of really great radio stations around the world that have Internet streams. I have an app on my phone that can access all of them...it's AWESOME. :D And, of course, I do the same with my computer hooked up to my hi-fi system.

If you have a good system you can just buy the Sonos controller and bridgeeconnect to your internet router or direct download the program and your on your way to a million radio stations and those play popular music you never hear in the US. A really great station out of LA is called Luxuria Music. Oldies and more. Some strange dj dialog though.

If you have a good system you can just buy the Sonos controller and bridgeeconnect to your internet router or direct download the program and your on your way to a million radio stations and those play popular music you never hear in the US. A really great station out of LA is called Luxuria Music. Oldies and more. Some strange dj dialog though.
Oh, cool. I've heard a lot of people rave about it, but I was never entirely sure what it was. My digital system is actually computer-based, so I have a DAC that's always connected to my amp. I have considered getting a wireless DAC, but it seems the good ones are SO expensive! With wifi, when it comes to Internet radio, I have to tether my phone, as the current Internet service I have is useless in many ways and precludes a lot of streaming options...otherwise, I would definitely consider some sort of wifi-enabled streaming device.

Oh, cool. I've heard a lot of people rave about it, but I was never entirely sure what it was. My digital system is actually computer-based, so I have a DAC that's always connected to my amp. I have considered getting a wireless DAC, but it seems the good ones are SO expensive! With wifi, when it comes to Internet radio, I have to tether my phone, as the current Internet service I have is useless in many ways and precludes a lot of streaming options...otherwise, I would definitely consider some sort of wifi-enabled streaming device.

I have my Sonos wifi'd for my iMac and tablet. I have a Mcintosh DAC the D100 wired direct to the Sonos Controller and the internet music goes through that at a CD rez. No monthly costs just the intial purchase price. Also use HD Tracks for downloading super rez music.

I have my Sonos wifi'd for my iMac and tablet. I have a Mcintosh DAC the D100 wired direct to the Sonos Controller and the internet music goes through that at a CD rez. No monthly costs just the intial purchase price. Also use HD Tracks for downloading super rez music.
Would that I could afford something like the D100! My "system" is made up of Craigslist and eBay acquisitions and some (well-reviewed) budget components, ha.

Would that I could afford something like the D100! My "system" is made up of Craigslist and eBay acquisitions and some (well-reviewed) budget components, ha.
Yeah I paid way too much for that DAC. I'm a sucker that sales people can see a mile away. Half my stuff is craigslist too. Sucker on that site too. But wanted Mac stuff since college. Captivated by the blue meters and little green lights. Aspergers is good for something.

I've been musical for as long as I can remember which was about 2. I always have songs and jingles running through my head. Nearly every memory is tied to a song. Nearly every dream is tied to a song. I would always think of phrases and then repeat them later set to a jingle.

Whenever I would be around people, it was like the living in the bubble feeling, but music would be playing in my head and the people around me would "go" with that music with the things they did. It used to make me feel embarassed but I probably just had some traits of a choreographer. I also look at pictures and they sometimes look alive and moving and set to music.

My dad's side of the family has many musicians, one who built his own bass guitar from a toilet seat because he was a big NT joker. I followed suit and had piano lessons for a few years, then started playing bass and a few years later built my own 6 string fretless from scratch. Maybe 6 years ago I started on the organ/synthesizer.

I can't stand music too loud. Turn it up a bit sometimes for better dynamics but not too much. I also don't like music that is too jumbled, a prime example is music that has a wall of rhythm guitar drowning out everything. I like when I can hear everything. Smooth 70s, a lot of 80s, some 90s but then as with everything else it feels like the world turns into soup after 2000. But I do like most country. Most of my collection is 80s females who rock, like Belinda Carlisle, Amiee Mann, Bangles, Cyndi Lauper, Tiffany, Stevie Nicks. But I've always had a special place for Wilson Phillips, where something amazing in their voices got me through the toughest years of high school. But I also can't resist the sound of a gritty greasy Hammond B3 overdriven thru a Leslie 122, a growling fretless bass, the ballsy sound of a Spector bass (Queensryche, etc.), a good synth part.

One of my favorites is vocal smooth jazz. I used to call it black space music, where you can feel the space between the notes. In high school if listening at night I would see colors and patterns in the black space. (And this was before the days of cable/satellite radio or screensavers or anything that is similar nowadays.)

I like the old tech too. I have hundreds and hundreds of cassettes and some records. It seems to capture the feel of the old days better. It's not the same without the pops and crackle, or the tape hiss. Digital just sounds unnaturally clean and sterile. But I do have a lot of CDs because cassettes wear out or get damaged easier. I don't have an IPOD or digital collection.

I can listen to even a favorite song hundreds of times for years or decades and still barely remember any of the words. But I can remember the parts of most of the instruments. To me songs evoke a feeling not by the words but by their overall sound or key or both. I wasn't born with perfect pitch but I trained myself to be very good at it once, then other responsibilities took over. Every key does have a feeling to it.

I would love to be able to play or even compose music, but i never find the ability to. I guess it makes me appreciate good music more than if i could make it, as some of that 'magic' in music could be lost if i could engineer it.

I've been musical for as long as I can remember which was about 2. I always have songs and jingles running through my head. Nearly every memory is tied to a song. Nearly every dream is tied to a song. I would always think of phrases and then repeat them later set to a jingle.

Whenever I would be around people, it was like the living in the bubble feeling, but music would be playing in my head and the people around me would "go" with that music with the things they did. It used to make me feel embarassed but I probably just had some traits of a choreographer. I also look at pictures and they sometimes look alive and moving and set to music.

My dad's side of the family has many musicians, one who built his own bass guitar from a toilet seat because he was a big NT joker. I followed suit and had piano lessons for a few years, then started playing bass and a few years later built my own 6 string fretless from scratch. Maybe 6 years ago I started on the organ/synthesizer.

I can't stand music too loud. Turn it up a bit sometimes for better dynamics but not too much. I also don't like music that is too jumbled, a prime example is music that has a wall of rhythm guitar drowning out everything. I like when I can hear everything. Smooth 70s, a lot of 80s, some 90s but then as with everything else it feels like the world turns into soup after 2000. But I do like most country. Most of my collection is 80s females who rock, like Belinda Carlisle, Amiee Mann, Bangles, Cyndi Lauper, Tiffany, Stevie Nicks. But I've always had a special place for Wilson Phillips, where something amazing in their voices got me through the toughest years of high school. But I also can't resist the sound of a gritty greasy Hammond B3 overdriven thru a Leslie 122, a growling fretless bass, the ballsy sound of a Spector bass (Queensryche, etc.), a good synth part.

One of my favorites is vocal smooth jazz. I used to call it black space music, where you can feel the space between the notes. In high school if listening at night I would see colors and patterns in the black space. (And this was before the days of cable/satellite radio or screensavers or anything that is similar nowadays.)

I like the old tech too. I have hundreds and hundreds of cassettes and some records. It seems to capture the feel of the old days better. It's not the same without the pops and crackle, or the tape hiss. Digital just sounds unnaturally clean and sterile. But I do have a lot of CDs because cassettes wear out or get damaged easier. I don't have an IPOD or digital collection.

I can listen to even a favorite song hundreds of times for years or decades and still barely remember any of the words. But I can remember the parts of most of the instruments. To me songs evoke a feeling not by the words but by their overall sound or key or both. I wasn't born with perfect pitch but I trained myself to be very good at it once, then other responsibilities took over. Every key does have a feeling to it.

Well vinyl is back and going strong. Sales of vinyl are now higher than cd's in Europe.

Well vinyl is back and going strong. Sales of vinyl are now higher than cd's in Europe.
Even on my crap turntable (I'll be getting a new, better one soon), vinyl sounds better, at least with all the older recordings I have. If it's new music, it really depends on how it's mastered, but sometimes with new music the vinyl can sound better too. With all its finickiness, I love it.

New Threads

Top Bottom