• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone obsessed with music?

Yes, I'm obsessed with music and I make music too. Different instruments, but my basic instruments are my keyboards.

I'm totally obsessed with the music. I like rock more but actually hear every genre of music, from sweet swedish pop to hard rock. To me, music is something like ritalin. Since I was very young, I've been suffered from the great fear and depression with no reason. But I was afraid of to go to hospital so I choose the music instead. Actually, music helps me a lot to handle my problem and I feel a serious frustration when I cannot hear the music. For that reason I always try to make sure I have MP3 player.

I actually observe more genres than most. For example, I observe five subgenres of psychedelic rock and nine subgenres of metal.

Oh yes. I recently discovered that this blank sense of euphoria I get from listening to some extremely beautiful music is a form of orgasm. My friends always thought that I got high off of music because of this afterglow, :D
Music is a sort of international language that can convey even more incredibly complex emotions and ideas than most people can with words, which is such a beautiful thing. Throw a good librettist in, and you have heaven.
I have a tendency to obsessively arrange and re-arrange my music collection, as well as analyse every tiny aspect of a piece. When a violin is being played on the a and e strings with a steady bow, I practically melt. With violin and high sweet notes like that, I feel almost as though light is being pulled through my ears in the most beautiful way. I can't explain it. My head will often tilt at a different angle depending on how high or low a note is. As I speak, Vivaldi's Winter (recomposed by Max Ritcher) is playing in my mind and my head is tilting to the left because I get that nice feeling in my right ear.
If I sound crazy, that's because I am. But music can be, too.
Sadly, I have close to no musical talent. I play Violin and Ukulele, but with little success. I have been told that I am rather good at libretto, though, and am looking for a composer for a modern opera.
Anyone here compose?

Madame Catfish, I agree. Music is it's own language, it is a drug that can make you laugh or cry, smile, dance, sing along, relax you, hype you up.

I do write music but, have never attempted an opera. I am a pop and rock ballad writer. I ocassionally do some off the wall stuff for a friend that is a mix of folk, electronica, pop and just his thing, a style and feel no one can define except that it's his. (Not really famous but her has his fans, me being one of them.)

I also play keyboard and guitar. I attempt saxophone and clarinet, with poor results.

Of course I'm obsessed with music. It's the only way I can drown out my horrible, idiotic family. I listen to all kinds. I listen to stuff my parents would hate and be shocked by. It's the only way I stay sane.

Despite a huge music collection. I listen to one album on and off for the last 30 years. "Speaking in Tongues" by Talking Heads.

Another music-obsessed person here. I love prog rock, but also listen to classic rock, folk rock and metal. I listen to music from many different countries. When I develop a special interest in a country, it often starts with listening to music from a particular country, often music with strong folk influences, and it then it extends to the culture, language and history of the country. I have been know to learn the language of a country just because I want to understand the lyrics of a song I like. I also explore the music of the country, learn about the bands on the local scene, and keep upt to date with new releases. Recently, I've been listening to a lot of Romanian rock music, and have a large collection of Greek and Romanian rock CDs or downloads. I have in my collection about 14.000 releases from countries all over the world, about 4TB harddrive space full of music. I've been collecting for a long time and spent a small fortune over the years on music. I occasionally DJ at a local rock bar :)

In the past I've spent a lot of money on audio equipment, but my equipment is now out of date. I hope to get some money together to update it. I agree with the OP about the quaility of mp3s. I have sensitive hearing, and while 320kp isn't too bad, anything less is painful to my ears. Most of my music is stored in lossless format.

I've been always obsessed with music, I'd like to think the fact that my dad would play LP vinyls before I was born, played a big part on the music era and style that I still like the most.
I'm good at finding a song's rhythm, I would tend to mark the pace by some body movement -my leg, my feet, palming my leg, drumming fingers on the table and such-. That said I can't dance.
I was part of two choirs when I was a kid, and is one of my fondest memories from school. My vocal range was contralto, usually is the vocal range that I like. I generally like baritone and contralto. I don't normally like female vocalists because I find their tone too high-pitched.
I learnt to play keyboard on my own, same with guitar, and enjoyed the only chance I had to play drums in high school -my teacher was very happy with my performance regarding how well my coordination was considering I have BPI which makes coordination difficult. The only classmate able to play drums was the drummer in a band.-
Music has been my outlet on many situations, it helps me calm down when something made me anxious or was stressing me.
It helps me to write, I use to listen to music whenever I'm writing. I used to make music setlists to help me write particular scenes or stories.
I went on periods when I'll check certain eras or genres, if I found some bands, era or genre I liked most I would research further about it, same with finding music sheets.
When I attend a concert I don't generally pay much attention to the vocalist's dancing, instead I would focus on the bassists and drummer mostly.
When I listen a new album, I listen to it fully. When I'm checking a new band I would listen to their discography in chronological order. I normally like most the album that got me to check that band -the one they were promoting at that time- because I asociate more emotions to that album for some reason.
Cover vs original version, I like the one I've listened first, sometimes it happens to be the original and other's the cover.

I have a "life soundtrack" made of iPhone playlists and mixed CDs going back to age 14 (I'm 30).
I'm very idiosyncratic about what goes in, but when something is worth adding, I feel pretty sure.

Actually I do have clue what you're talking about, it just doesn't bother me that much ;) I dabble into music production myself so I'm well aware of aural spectrums and all, and how mp3's kinda mess with that.

I don't know if it's "obsessed"... but I used to listen to music a lot in my teens. It went beyond putting a cd on. I read on about it, looked into composition, was in a few bands in the past, play instruments myself, so music is a part of my life and who I am, even if it's a personal creative outlet. Currently I'm not really too thrilled about music... might have by off phase right now.

Music, and especially "loud" music is the sole reason I go to (goth)raves. I enjoy listening to it really loud (as in feeling the bass in my body), and as such I don't interact with anyone, and just indulge on the music.

Regarding music styles I've had my share of styles I went into. Mostly it's a "broader" spectrum of rock and metal music, a fair share of electronic music, ambient, drum and bass, dubstep and whatever you have. The "classics" I can appreciate, but I have to be in a mood for those... and the same goes for time specific music... last week I had a small New wave mood and listened to nothing but that kind of music for 2 days, then I was like "ok... I heard it, let's go on to something else"... I seem to have heard things "way too fast" (looking at my last.fm page, the one song I played most in the last 2 years since I've been on there, I play 60 times... which isn't nearly as obsessive as some people, who have played it thousands of times)... and to add, I'm more interested in sound design, which synthesizer they used, how they tweaked sound X and stuff like that... and with current media I'm having a blast in understanding sound design since there's a lot of tutorials on it.

I do have a thing for music that doesn't sound right to me. If a song messes up... because I feel the harmony is off, the lyrics are terrible, things like that... the song is on my banlist. I'll never listen to it again.

So... I don't know.. does it qualify as "obsessed"?

This is so random, and not really relevant but it kind of is. I have never known anyone to listen to music like I do, when you say you used to turn music up really loud so you could feel the bass in your body. I still do that now, I love really heavy jungle and it helps my meltdowns loads aswell.

Just wondered if this was the same for you?
I have been googling if there is a relation between rhythm and Aspergers and this post popped up so i registered.

Thank you for your time.
Laura

Yeah, I'd like to think I'm a bit obsessed with music.

library.jpg

I have never seen this thread before, but yes, I should say music is at least 50% of my life. So far I have around 360Gb of music in my computer, most of it rock, heavy metal, thrash metal, and around that genre. Some videogames OST, and I'm constantly trying to find new interesting bands.

In my collection of original dvd's are a Limited Edition of The Big 4 Live at Bulgaria 2010, Metallica S&M, waiting for the S&M2 to be released to buy it; Joe Satriani dvd's, Dream Theater...

Ten years ago I bought an Ipod Classic and still works, I just changed the original 160Gb hdd for a 240Gb one and 2 years ago I changed the battery by myself. Ten years and still my good musical buddy.

I play acoustic guitar a little bit but I would like to buy a electric one soon.

I love music and I always have. It's my way of connection to myself. I get to choose what to hear and fit it to my mood. It is really euphoric at times. Love making playlists too. I listen to kpop, rock, indie rock,pop punk and really anything else that sounds good to me. Much of my free time goes to listening and discovering new music.

I have DJ-ed a couple of times and really loved planning it, preparing the playlists etc, and I have a large library to choose from. I spend a couple of hours each day on looking for new music, or reading music werbsites. I aslo spend some time cataloging, both in my own playlists and updating my RYM or Discogs account. My music of choice is prog rock, but will listen to: folk rock, metal, classic rock.

I'm constantly expanding my music collection, but am limited by finance, and lately by ridiculously long shipping delays due to Covid19. Still, have a large digital collection, thousands of albums, several hundred CDs and vinyl records.

I'm not obsessed with music, I feel like one of reasons for my struggling into making friendships is a lack of interest for music.

New Threads

Top Bottom