• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Anyone obsessed with music?

@goodiesguy -- "I'm into Oldies (50's and 60's), a bit of 70's, and New Wave 80's. (ocasional 90's tracks too)."

You described my casual listening preferences damn near exactly! :)

Last edited:
I'm another one of those on here who's really into music... I've loved collecting MP3s (about to crack 20,000 and getting a new hard drive for Xmas), records & CDs; making tapes, mix CDs, playlists. Love learning to play instruments, learning songs, writing, recording. Learned drums, guitars & keyboards so I could record my own songs. Right now I'm fixated on getting a decent digital piano with realistic weighted keys and building up my skills; haven't had a decent keyboard since I sold my Rhodes.

Like wyverary, I have to sing a song in the key it's supposed to be in, though instead of pointing it out, I force people to change. Now I just don't sing with people outside of a karaoke bar.

I've realized that Asperger's has made it challenging to try to make an ensemble work. I'm drawn to the piano and guitar because I can sing and accompany myself solo.

@Daniel I'm the same, the song always has to be in key when it's sung. My housemate often sings songs in D, as he tunes his guitar that way, and it drives me mad because he's forever 'out of tune' to my ear! I also love playing instruments, I'm a keen drummer, and have my kit set up in my bedroom, I also play guitar (both electric and acoustic), bass guitar, piano, violin, recorder, bagpipes and the bodhr?n (a drum used in irish folk music). I love rock music, right now I've got the rock radio playing Queen full blast through the TV :)

I really like Taylor Swift's new song I knew you were trouble. I like how it has more of a pop sound to it than a country sound. It's really catchy

I have always loved music since I was a child. I either love to listen to it or play it. I am in to all kinds of music from old stuff to new. My biggest obsession is the band Muse, I could listen to them all day! I am also obsessed with musical instruments. I have even built four mandolins and a guitar! I am totally obsessed with mt drum kit as well. I have always tapped out rhythms in some way all of my life and now my drum kit lets me release all of that energy and anxiety that builds up during the day. There is not a minute that goes by that I don't have some kind of song or music in my head!

I have always loved music since I was a child. I either love to listen to it or play it. I am in to all kinds of music from old stuff to new. My biggest obsession is the band Muse, I could listen to them all day! I am also obsessed with musical instruments. I have even built four mandolins and a guitar! I am totally obsessed with mt drum kit as well. I have always tapped out rhythms in some way all of my life and now my drum kit lets me release all of that energy and anxiety that builds up during the day. There is not a minute that goes by that I don't have some kind of song or music in my head!
My brother has a drums set. He also plays the guitar, he's 28 and has been playing it since he was ten

I have two acoustic guitars, two electric guitars (and another electric I started to build), a banjo, a mandolin, keyboard, violin, and my drum kit!

@Daniel I'm the same, the song always has to be in key when it's sung. My housemate often sings songs in D, as he tunes his guitar that way, and it drives me mad because he's forever 'out of tune' to my ear! I also love playing instruments, I'm a keen drummer, and have my kit set up in my bedroom, I also play guitar (both electric and acoustic), bass guitar, piano, violin, recorder, bagpipes and the bodhr?n (a drum used in irish folk music). I love rock music, right now I've got the rock radio playing Queen full blast through the TV :)

Ah...the drums! I got to play on a kit yesterday for the first time in about six months, and it felt great! I live in an apartment now, and I don't have room for a digital kit (and I think the tapping of sticks on rubber would drive my wife nuts!), but every so often I get the urge to grab the sticks and tap out rudiments. I started playing when I was eight, and I got obsessed with Keith Moon. Given that influence, it's ironic that in high school I became the first pit band drummer they ever had to instruct to play LOUDER instead of imploring to play quieter. I have a light touch with everything, and I had no idea until now that it could be an Aspie thing (just realized that was me this past week). If any of you drummers ever get the chance to play a miked & amplified kit in a live performance (I've done it twice), my god--the sound and feeling is incredible!

The bodhr?n -- those are really neat! I got to try one once. Jealous about the violin--I have one that needs restoration before I can learn to play it.

Guitar tuning -- yeah, that would drive me nuts! It took a long time for me to figure out that other people couldn't hear keys like I could! My family didn't believe that I could until I proved it. I filled in on bass guitar for a band's show this summer, and the bandleader wrote one song in F#, and he had a separate guitar tuned down a semitone so he could play the open chords in G (don't know why he just didn't use a capo and transpose). Of course, when the number starts during the show, he's half a semitone flat. I had to adjust on the fly and bend each note to keep it in tune, but our poor synth player was stuck. Good thing I didn't care, or I would have been furious!

Queen rocks! Freddie Mercury is an inspiration to me. Incredible set of pipes.

@KWoodson73 -- I would totally be a gearhead too if I had the time and money! My brother is most likely an Aspie (more severe than me), and when he got into it, he made the most incredible sounding and feeling electric guitars in his woodshop. I used to love flipping through the Stewart-MacDonald catalogue! (STEWMAC.COM : Guitar Parts, Bass, Banjo, Mandolin, Hardware, Tools, Supplies, Free Information). I can appreciate the craft that goes into making an acoustic stringed instrument!

Lately, I'm really into Garbage and Loreena McKennit. I also love Muse! Was into Lady Gaga for a brief time and still enjoy some of her music, more for the music part than the lyrics part. Still love the Rolling Stones, they are my all time favorites. I'm also into Celtic music, but have to be in "the mood" to listen to some of it.
Yeah, I hate Rap and hip hop.......Just don't get it.....seems so violent and angry, which does not calm me down at all.

I listen to classical music almost exclusively. I have about 400 CDs, which over the years replaced the 400+ classical LPs I had before. Plus I go to the library often and check out more CDs, which has helped me gain an appreciation for 20th and 21st century classical music, the kind I used to think was really weird. I also like to sing in a local choir, and was in the summer version of the Cleveland Orchestra Chorus for about 15 years.

When I get stressed I have to remember that I need music playing to calm my nerves.

When I was young my parents had a stereo from the 60s that had separate volume controls for each speaker. I was really obsessed with adjusting the levels so that they were balanced just right. When we bought a more modern system with a single volume control it made life a lot easier.

Yes, I am very obsessed with music. Just check out my profile as I don't really want to write a book here, too lazy for that ****. But, what I can say is that I gig and I play variety of instruments ranging from Harp, piano, drums, bass, I can even sing just (just started that,) and I'm most talented at guitar. I am only 18, and have only been playing for about 3 years, and I play most oldbie heavy metal, and classic rock such as; Led Zeppelin, AC-DC, Blackfoot, Pantera, Ozzy, Metallica, Anthrax, Celtic Frost, Slayer, Venom, and on and on I can go. I also love and play modern metal bands such as; Alterbridge, Bring me the Horizon, Bullet for my Valentine, All that Remains, Black Label Society (features Zack Wylde,) Black Veil Brides, and I love Paul Gilbert!

Yes, I am very obsessed with music. Just check out my profile as I don't really want to write a book here, too lazy for that ****. But, what I can say is that I gig and I play variety of instruments ranging from Harp, piano, drums, bass, I can even sing just (just started that,) and I'm most talented at guitar. I am only 18, and have only been playing for about 3 years, and I play most oldbie heavy metal, and classic rock such as; Led Zeppelin, AC-DC, Blackfoot, Pantera, Ozzy, Metallica, Anthrax, Celtic Frost, Slayer, Venom, and on and on I can go. I also love and play modern metal bands such as; Alterbridge, Bring me the Horizon, Bullet for my Valentine, All that Remains, Black Label Society (features Zack Wylde,) Black Veil Brides, and I love Paul Gilbert!

AWESOME! Keep going with the instruments, I wish I had the push that would keep me going to actually be able to learn one instrument.

Check my lastest post in this thread

http://www.aspiescentral.com/entertainment-discussion/13-what-song-you-listening-right-now-72.html

Thanks! If only there were ways I could video myself and put them on Youtube or something.. I have no talent for technology, it always fails me in one damned way or another. And I don't know how to do video's for my life, but I love doing live performance. But, I don't know where your latest post is besides that one. I'm relatively new, so I don't know a lot of things here. *sadface* But I'm trying!

As for music, I was just listening to BVB - In the end, it just came out recently. It's not exactly their normal metal-ey type melodies, but it was very nice to listen to, you should check it out if you're interested in that kind of music. But I'm now listening to Paul Gilbert Technical Difficulties!

And I was wondering, how in the world do I get a avatar picture thing? I have pictures in an album already, I just don't know how to get it as a picture for the profile. ;v.v

Thanks! If only there were ways I could video myself and put them on Youtube or something.. I have no talent for technology, it always fails me in one damned way or another. And I don't know how to do video's for my life, but I love doing live performance. But, I don't know where your latest post is besides that one. I'm relatively new, so I don't know a lot of things here. *sadface* But I'm trying!

As for music, I was just listening to BVB - In the end, it just came out recently. It's not exactly their normal metal-ey type melodies, but it was very nice to listen to, you should check it out if you're interested in that kind of music. But I'm now listening to Paul Gilbert Technical Difficulties!

Just click on the red link ;)

http://www.aspiescentral.com/entertainment-discussion/13-what-song-you-listening-right-now-72.html

I'm obsessed with the *same* music, that is, when I work I listen to music on my headphones and it is always the same playlist: Queen, Judas Priest, etc. I have 1000's of downloaded MP3s but I always just listen to the same music.

I'm obsessed with the *same* music, that is, when I work I listen to music on my headphones and it is always the same playlist: Queen, Judas Priest, etc. I have 1000's of downloaded MP3s but I always just listen to the same music.

I sometimes fall into that as well! It usually takes a bit of effort to force myself to leave my musical "comfort zone." Fortunately I've acquired a newfound obsession with Phish, so I've been downloading several sets at a time and listening to them at work. :)

Here are some songs I'm into this month:

I'm coming after you by Owl City

I knew you were trouble by Taylor Swift

Please don't go by Mike Posner

New Threads

Top Bottom